The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Teletronix La-2a Rare Parts Drum Microphones
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_nomad View Post
Yes, the UTC transformer prices have jumped quite a bit, but the Sowter replacement Iron is also expensive. The La-2a output tranny is $117 once you convert pounds to dollars! The input is $72. So the UTC ebay prices and Sowter direct prices are roughly equivalent if your spec'ing parts for a La2a.
I guess you haven't seeen the continuing trend of HA-100X's selling for $350 or more apiece, and A-24's for over $150.
Old 9th November 2008
Here for the gear

I have a later Universal Audio made Teletronix LA-2A in excellent condition which I'm going to sell, does anyone know how much I should list it for ? is it worth selling it on e-bay ?
Old 10th November 2008
Gear Nut

Wonder how the Jensen trannies compare to the Sowters as far as "cleanliness" of sound?
Old 10th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazeka View Post
Wonder how the Jensen trannies compare to the Sowters as far as "cleanliness" of sound?
Depends of course on the type and implementation in the circuit... but generally Jensen is the creme of the crop for cleanness and fidelity... Sowter, generally, is slightly more colored... although still clean.
Old 10th September 2010
Here for the gear

am I being ripped off?

Hi there,

I know this thread is old but I didn't want to open a new one just to make my doubts clearer and since many of the people that have posted here seem to be quite knowledgeable about the subject, I thought it would be right to post it here.

I've been offered an original Teletronix LA2A but from the pics they sent me there seem to be a few things that don't fit right. I am no expert but just by comparing them with pics and reviews from old units in webs like Universal Audio WebZine there are obvious differences among the originals and the one I am beeing offered, for instance: a toggle switch in the front left that I assume is the limit/comp switch which should be in the back of the unit.

Although I tried to get every possible detail from the seller I was not informed of any mods done to the Teletronix. The seller is a well known store in Europe so I'm guessing that that shouldn't be a problem. Maybe I'm just too paranoid due to the fact that the unit would cost me around 4K.

I'm sharing some of this pics so you can have a look to what I'm saying.

Well, I hope someone can help me out the tunnel.

I don't want to forget to thank Gearslutz and many of its regulars for so many very interesting reading nights throughout these past few years.

Cheers,
Fdo.
Old 10th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelanas View Post
for instance: a toggle switch in the front left that I assume is the limit/comp switch which should be in the back of the unit.
That is a pretty common mod since the switch can be a pain to access in a racked unit.
Old 11th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_nomad View Post
The UTC A10 input transformers came shortly after the UTC HA100x. Don't worry to much about trying to find the UTC HA100x... the A10 is the exact same thing with slightly better shielding. The A10's are also rare but much easier to find than the nearly non-existent HA100x.

You'll need UTC A24 on the output.

Those are the most important components in terms of the original sound. You could get all nutty if you wanted and try to find the original cap brands and buy some NOS caps along with the original tubes and carbon resistors...

Depends how "original" you want to make it...
I cannot agree on the A-10 being exactly the same as a HA-100x. For one they have different range of frequency response. 2nd, they are totally different in size. The HA 100x is the big daddy. I would recommend it over the A-10. The original HA-100X version of the LA-2A is most desired. One reason why UA put a reissue of it. Another thing. Watch ebay. HA 100X sell like hot cakes more so than the UTC A-10. But as always YMMV.
Old 11th September 2010
Here for the gear

Hey! Wha' happened to the pics I posted?

Thanks for the reply studiostuff. Yeah, I thought so too but I guess it all addep up to the suspicious answers I got from the seller, like i.e. I asked if the output trafo had been change from 110v to 230v coz he mentioned the previous owner had aquired the unit in the US but he didn't know for sure and said that many of 'em la-2a had a voltage switch built-in and even if it had been changed there wouldn't make a difference.

Once again, maybe that's all there is and I'm just too paranoid; maybe this should've been the title of my post.

cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search