The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vintage Designs M581 500 Series Preamps
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Vintage Designs M581

Does anyone have one of these yet? I've got two empty spots in my lunch box and I'm looking for something along the lines of my 5012 to put in there. I've got two 512c's and two 550b's right now.
I was thinking of the P-1, but I like the idea of the gain and level controls. The Biz has this, but it sounds like it maybe a bit too clean (thin?) for me. Also, thinking about getting a Germ 500 when it's released as I have the rack mount and love it on guitars.
Recording styles-Folk/Rock/Blues/Country-Blues

Thanks for the input if you have some

Pre list presently:
Germanium (guitars)
RND 5012 (vocals/O.H.)
API 512c (Kik in/out)
TG-2 (guitars/toms)
JM VC1 (whatever)
UA LA610 (bass/vocals)
Old 7th September 2007
member no 666

I've tried it, and it ROCKS!! Great depth, great dimension... then again the Biz has great depth and dimension as well... but it's uhhhhh... different... maybe a bit clearer could be a definition.

The Great River MP-500NV is another serious favorite but it's 2 units wide which will fill your lunchbox with only one channel.

If I might be so bold... why don't you give the Vintage Design and the Biz a side by side shoot out... you may decide that you like having one channel of each color or you may decide that one is more useful than the other [in which case you return one and double up on the other].

Peace.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Biz ain't thin. I love that preamp. In the regular mode, it's definitely a little clearer/thinner than an API, but not in a tinny way at all - still a really good sound. For parts that need some extra wool/bigness to 'em, kick on the dual mode and the bottom end definitely fattens out a bit. Don't know the VD pre at all, but can vouch for the Biz sounding really, really good.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by espen askelad View Post
Biz ain't thin. but can vouch for the Biz sounding really, really good.
Agreed. Love my Biz. Need another. Definately not thin. IMO, it's fatter than my API's or GAMA.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Agreed. Love my Biz. Need another. Definately not thin. IMO, it's fatter than my API's or GAMA.
hmmmm...... So it's a bit chameleon and it can be fat?
got anything you could compare the sound to? Would you use it for vocals?

I better just try the M581 or I'll end up liking the Biz so much I'll feel obligated to sell my UA 1176 and buying the MC77!! I keed I keed.........

Last edited by SoundUniverse; 8th September 2007 at 02:30 AM.. Reason: more horse shit stuff to say......
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundUniverse View Post
Would you use it for vocals?
It's my go to vocal pre over the GAMA or 512B/C's.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search