The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
your suggestions for my next great mic Condenser Microphones
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

your suggestions for my next great mic

Hi Guys, I'm looking at buying a mic that will contrast with my Pearlman TM-1.

I'm thinking LDC still but warm, large and no high end sparkle hype or brightness.

Yes it will be mainly for vocals but I think any great mic is like a great camera lense ... capturing a superlative image of what is placed before it!

I love the Pearlman it gives a wonderful capture and presentation of the sound. I'm looking for a great presentation of the mid range with a neutral to subdued top end and warm lows again with no hype down there or wool or junk.

What would you recommend or look for in the mic locker for this purpose?

Thanks,
cortisol.
Old 7th September 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

AT 4060
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the recommendation Dan. I've read that the AT4060 is a good mic so I'll give it an audition.

I was also thinking Microtech Gefell...

Peace,
cortisol
Old 7th September 2007
member no 666

Budget?

You can get a great mic for around $350- if you get a Shure SM-7b... you can find great mics in the $15-1600 range with the Telefunken USA stuff... then you can get into other great mics in the $4-5-6k range from Brauner and Gefell [etc.] and they're all a measure of "better"... but each graduation of "better" is usually exponetially more expensive than the previous graduation of "better".

Best of luck with your search!!

Peace.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply Fletcher.

Price wise a new Microtech Gefell 92.1 would be the most I would spend at the moment. So anything under that budget.

Something rich, unhyped highs, timeless ie could work in the sound of any decade including this one.

I'm thinking LDC but maybe something like a C&T Vocalist or a Senn 441?

What fits the bill in your opinion. What are the options?

Ta,
cortisol
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

pearlman tm1 shure sm7b

i have 3 great mics the pearlman tm1, shure sm7b, and a gefell mt71s.
probably the shure sm7b is the most different from teh pearlman.
first dynamic. has a smooth rounded top with a pronounce midrange that can cut.
its a sound you are probably familiar with in radio announcers. has that slow thick low end if you get up close and i had a singer which is a rock screamer and his sibilance was terrible and was scared to put the pearlman up and the sm7b turned out great. it can be a bit slow so maybe a cleaner faster pre can make it seem faster. the pearlman compared to the gefell is like steak to chicken.
gefell is just a clean clean mic wiht a hint of mid color that records most anything good but does lack the pearlman's harmonic magic on vocals which could be a good thing. i've had times i put up both pearlman and shure to get two extemes for a singer to do a vocal shootout. and it was close but the pearlman would win. other times you want the pearlman to win but something about their voice could suit the sm7b better.i could have tried the hicut switch with the rock singer but i wanted to test the shure on his screaming and it really worked well. but it all depends on the singer. i'd say start cheap and try a shure sm7b. some ppl like it some don't its all what your idea of a good sound is. if it don't work move on and try something else. but if the shure is on vocals i bet the pearlman will be on acoustic, drum room mic, front of kick, bass cab, drum overhead. somewhere on the song hehe.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hi partnering,

Everything you are saying makes sense to me. The 2 other mics you mentioned would give you lots of options.

Not having used a Shure sm7b I'm wondering how close it is to an SM58?

Maybe I should explain my situation a bit. I'm in 3 bands. I'm not interested just yet in being a hired gun AE.

I pick and choose who I will record and mix. I am mainly doing my own bands so EP's, promotional singles and full length CD's when the momentum is going for these bands.

Need something toneful and less bright but a step up from an SM58 for sure.

peace,
cortisol
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortisol View Post
Hi partnering,
Not having used a Shure sm7b I'm wondering how close it is to an SM58?
SM58 is low-end, SM7b is high-end. Forget they both say Shure on them. Forget the pricetag. Forget it's "just a dynamic". SM7b is as pro a mic as anything 10x the price. (just remember to slide off the foam condom, they stick it on so tight you might think it doesn't come off) Some voices will sound better on a SM7b than any condenser. For myself, it won the shootout against a couple of Neumanns, an AudioTechnica, a Gefell, and a Peluso.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Gefell UMT-70S.

Like a U87, but "better."

Transparent (it's transformerless), detailed, accurate, smooth mids.

Some air on the top but no "hype."

No low-mid bump, and not as "rich" as your Pearlman.

Multipattern.

An incredibly versatile and high quality microphone.

Best of luck.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search