Royer 121 vs 122
Old 8th November 2002
Gear Head

Royer 121 vs 122

Is their any advantage of a 121 over a 122 besides price? Take it easy. Lates

jc
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

They don't sound exactly the same, so it's more a question of which sound's better to your ear I guess. I bought 121's when they came out and have enjoyed them alot since. I guess that if you don't already have great micpre's to run the 121 thru it might be better for you to get the 122.
Old 9th November 2002
Exactly...if you expect a quality recording it's best to have a high quality, low noise, high gain mic preamp to run the R-121 through (or any passive ribbon for that matter). It's essential IMO. The 121 sounds better on some preamps than others. Ribbons have about the same sensitivity regarding this issue in much the same way an SM-57 does. It's immediately apparent when you hear it, especially in the focus and low end. The 122 is hotter by 15db so you can get away with a preamp that's as low as 40db max for most purposes. I have found that higher impedance input helps also on the 121, but is mostly a non-issue with the 122. Usually 1200 ohms and above for non active ribbons, although this is not always a rule. With the 122, the compatibility of the ribbon mic with the preamp is mostly taken out of the equation, leaving you to freely choose your favorite box to run it into without loss of quality due to loading issues. This isn't for bad or good either way as standard non-active ribbons are obviously very useful tools (read : required for my purposes), but it does allow you to figure out what your priorities are for future usage. If you plan on using a preamp with a high impedance input and a large amount of gain then it's a non issue. For instance the Great River MP-2NV is capable of 1.2k ohm on the input, and the Phoenix DRS-2 is at a 20k ohm (!) on the input and they are capable of a total of 70 & 80db of gain respectively....perfect for passive ribbon usage IMO. Although lower impedance values will yield more available gain, you may or may not like the sound that it produces. The lower impedances tend to make things sound 'peaky', but this also can often be appropriate. For me, the point of a ribbon is to sound as natural as possible, hence my preference for medium & higher input impedances. Good Luck with your search JC.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search