The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chandler Germanium Compressor : A real review Modular Synthesizers
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Chandler Germanium Compressor : A real review

So I've had a pair of these things for almost a week now and have tried them on a few things. (drum sub, bass gutiar, mix bus). These things really are great. I didn't have a hard time finding useable settings for any of the things I tried them on, and even things I haven't tried yet, I can't imagine it being hard to just dial in a good sound with these. I don't know what other people have been saying about having to learn these. There's not THAT much to it. It's not that confusing people, it has a mix knob on it and a few different curves, plus all you regular controls (input, ratio, sidechain, attack, release) +the gain and feedback which just acts like another input and outgain. not that bigga deal, just more gain staging issues that need to be carefully set, but once they are, it's all graby. I usually use a C2 on the mix buss and these guys kinda took over for the album I'm mixing right now. Trying to describe the sound is pointless but I'll try compared to the C2: thicker in the lows/low mids especially with conveinence of the onboard sidechain, which I don't usually use one when I use the C2 just cause I'm lazy/need to buy more patch cables. I'd say the C2 has more high end overall and the Germs are slightly darker but not dark at all. Getting the needle right inbetween the -1.5db and the -5 mark for gain reduction and it sounds nice. Using the mix knob is super cool as you can can add back in more impact with the dry signal. Anyhow, just thought I'd share.
Old 7th September 2007
member no 666

I haven't tried the Germanium compressor yet... but I found equal ease and absolute style and grace from the Zener... it has absolutely floored me.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

+1 for the zener

had one for a couple weeks, and if I had the dough I'd bought it.. the wildness of the TG1, with ability to work well everywhere... wich the TG doesnt have
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, thanks for sharing and keeping it REAL, arrogantbastard!

Old 7th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrogantbastard View Post
So I've had a pair of these things for almost a week now and have tried them on a few things. (drum sub, bass gutiar, mix bus). These things really are great. I didn't have a hard time finding useable settings for any of the things I tried them on, and even things I haven't tried yet, I can't imagine it being hard to just dial in a good sound with these. I don't know what other people have been saying about having to learn these. There's not THAT much to it. It's not that confusing people, it has a mix knob on it and a few different curves, plus all you regular controls (input, ratio, sidechain, attack, release) +the gain and feedback which just acts like another input and outgain. not that bigga deal, just more gain staging issues that need to be carefully set, but once they are, it's all graby. I usually use a C2 on the mix buss and these guys kinda took over for the album I'm mixing right now. Trying to describe the sound is pointless but I'll try compared to the C2: thicker in the lows/low mids especially with conveinence of the onboard sidechain, which I don't usually use one when I use the C2 just cause I'm lazy/need to buy more patch cables. I'd say the C2 has more high end overall and the Germs are slightly darker but not dark at all. Getting the needle right inbetween the -1.5db and the -5 mark for gain reduction and it sounds nice. Using the mix knob is super cool as you can can add back in more impact with the dry signal. Anyhow, just thought I'd share.
Give it a month. You'll see how much more there is to understand about how to use it.

It's not hard to operate, but learning it is far different from getting a good sound out of it.

The other thread was really about how to evaluate a piece of gear rather than how difficult it is to operate it.
Old 19th September 2007
Bump....

heh

Any more reviews?
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm curious too. How are people liking it on kick and snare compared to something like a Distressor?

thanks,
Brad
Old 24th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Racked my brand new pairs of Germ Comps this morning. They showed up (quite promptly) 3 days after we ordered & Serial #s are still under 200.
The kicker is that we're re-doing the acoustics and interior walls in our CR this week and the compressor rack is wrapped in blankets in our kitchen at present. The suspense is killing me. Got a distressor in there too and an STC8-H on the way. Hurry carpenters! Build faster!
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
I'm curious too. How are people liking it on kick and snare compared to something like a Distressor?

thanks,
Brad
good question!

anyone?

Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post

thanks,
Brad
I'll let you know tomorrow.
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

My new quote, if you have no objections Mike...this is so true in many cases

"...learning it is far different from getting a good sound out of it"

XJ
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrogantbastard View Post
I'll let you know tomorrow.
cool!

can do some extreme stuff? just to see how it does?

Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Can a pair be linked ?

Is there a way of linking two Germanium compressors for stereo bus aplications ?
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

There's a link switch.

I only bought the one...if I really love it will get another for just that application. = D
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Huh - a REAL review
Old 3rd October 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj32 View Post
My new quote, if you have no objections Mike...this is so true in many cases

"...learning it is far different from getting a good sound out of it"

XJ
No objections.
Old 3rd October 2007
member no 666

I have been living with and loving strongly my new Germanium compressors... if Tessi wasn't so damn cute I would offer to bear Wade children for the creation of this device.

It is so versatile I'm still learning all the stuff it does... but just twiddling the knobs mindlessly has led me to some of the coolest sounds I"ve ever achieved.

Peace.
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Just got mine today Fletcher!!!

I'm so excited I'm drooling...

I'll be hooking it up this evening. = D
Old 4th October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukejs View Post
Is there a way of linking two Germanium compressors for stereo bus aplications ?
Yes you can link them. There is a link switch and a jack for the link cable.

I have included this in my own Germanium Compressor Review. It's very lengthy. You can find it in this forum. Yet according to arrogantbastard's title "Chandler Germanium Compressor: A real review", I guess he thinks my review is a false one....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search