The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Where is your room mic placed? Condenser Microphones
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Where is your room mic placed?

HI Guys!
I'm interested how and where your room mics placed on drums?
What is your favorite mic on room?
Maybe you have pics?
Thanks
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Both room and mic position change depending on the drummer and some times the tune. Could be two meters out, could be 5 or more.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
Both room and mic position change depending on the drummer and some times the tune. Could be two meters out, could be 5 or more.
Yes, I see!
Is the hight of your mics also totally different on your drums? Or maybe similar?
From which hight we speak here? 1m-1.5m or under?
Thanks
Robert
Old 7th September 2007
it depends on what you wanna achive in witch room..

if you record a metaldrummer with triggers and stuff, you should not place the roommics 20 meters away in a church.. understood? hehheh

if I have the time and the possibilities to work with ORTF and room... and Crown PZM-30 on the walls behind the drummer or on the drummer

usually my way to go is druamgog and samples because most drummers suck
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

I like to put it over there by the door
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
I like to put it over there by the door
+1! Room mics sound best when they are right in front of the door in the main path of foot traffic. At least on traditional rock and metal records, this seems to be the case.

I get my best results when the counterweight of the room mic boom stand is just slightly (1-2") above eye level for the singer.

It's also very helpful to place a big weight (we have a 12" section of railroad track especially for this purpose) right on the floor next to the room mic stand.

Usually I won't put out the railroad track for the first 2-3 days of recording.

That way when the singer finally catches on to watch out for the counterweight (while constantly walking around in the drum room for no apparent reason), he will be sure to smash his foot on the railroad track.

The most important thing is that at least once every day, the singer will get smashed in the head and/or foot.

You may have to experiment with different setups until you find results that will work best for your application.

Good luck!
Old 7th September 2007
member no 666

I generally put up 6 room mics... two hypercardioid mics in front of the kit facing away from the kit, one stereo mic about 5 meters in front of the kit [usually a stereo ribbon like an AEA R-88] and a pair of Omni's also about 5 meters from the drum kit, aimed at the ways on a horizontal plane that goes through the center of the kit.

When I add a 7th room mic it's generally a Microtech Gefell KEM-970 "Line Array" mic on a Starbird stand about 12 ft. over the drummer's head aimed at the snare drum... then when I get the rest of the band set up and playing together as a unit I will blend the room mics to two tracks so as not to have to make too many decisions later on when I mix.

Very often the best room mics are when there are a couple of 57's set up for "reference vocals" as the guitar players for whom I set up those mics seem to find some of the best sounding places in the room to stand... a mic in those spots is very often a beautiful thing.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncival View Post
+1! Room mics sound best when they are right in front of the door in the main path of foot traffic. At least on traditional rock and metal records, this seems to be the case.

I get my best results when the counterweight of the room mic boom stand is just slightly (1-2") above eye level for the singer.

It's also very helpful to place a big weight (we have a 12" section of railroad track especially for this purpose) right on the floor next to the room mic stand.

Usually I won't put out the railroad track for the first 2-3 days of recording.

That way when the singer finally catches on to watch out for the counterweight (while constantly walking around in the drum room for no apparent reason), he will be sure to smash his foot on the railroad track.

The most important thing is that at least once every day, the singer will get smashed in the head and/or foot.

You may have to experiment with different setups until you find results that will work best for your application.

Good luck!
Thanks, sometimes i heard from this action "in front of the door"
I will try it too!
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
I generally put up 6 room mics... two hypercardioid mics in front of the kit facing away from the kit, one stereo mic about 5 meters in front of the kit [usually a stereo ribbon like an AEA R-88] and a pair of Omni's also about 5 meters from the drum kit, aimed at the ways on a horizontal plane that goes through the center of the kit.

When I add a 7th room mic it's generally a Microtech Gefell KEM-970 "Line Array" mic on a Starbird stand about 12 ft. over the drummer's head aimed at the snare drum... then when I get the rest of the band set up and playing together as a unit I will blend the room mics to two tracks so as not to have to make too many decisions later on when I mix.

Very often the best room mics are when there are a couple of 57's set up for "reference vocals" as the guitar players for whom I set up those mics seem to find some of the best sounding places in the room to stand... a mic in those spots is very often a beautiful thing.
Yeahhh!
Thanks Fletcher you make the break through here!
So, i must count my mics if i posess 6 or 7?
But thats it!
I will know how you perfectly guys are work!
Thanks i will print out and save it for the future thumbsup

JESUS LOVES YOU!
Old 7th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post

JESUS LOVES YOU!
not sure about that hehhehheh
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
Oh Yes, he does!
No matter what you done!
Religion says, you not worthy, you have to do something to get his love!tutt No!
He is the LOVE!
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Head

Here is a pitcher from a drum session we did a couple of weeks a go.

We have recorded drums in this room for about five years now.. and this is the spot they always end up in.

Easy//
//Silver
Attached Thumbnails
Where is your room mic placed?-21.jpg  
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
Here is a pitcher from a drum session we did a couple of weeks a go.

We have recorded drums in this room for about five years now.. and this is the spot they always end up in.

Easy//
//Silver
Great!
What mics you took for OH, and this ribbons for room?
Thanks
Old 7th September 2007
We have lots of photos on our website of Andy and Joe's drum setups.

Rail
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Hey Fletcher, what Pre do you prefer for room?
Thanks
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumSamples View Post

Rail
Oooh yes thats great!
I will enjoy your pics this evening!
Thanks
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumSamples View Post

Rail
Thanks for this link, pics are very detailed.
I work with BFD too!
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
- so true, though I like a 421 better.

I listen to every room, sum 3 or 4 together and keep one or two discrete based on my own ear, in that room, at that time, with that kit, and those heads.
its almost always different in different rooms.

and XY pair is a good base for the summed stereo rooms.
57's to add reality to the sound.
and never underestimate a "nice" condenser mic, placed 2 cm from a brick/stone/crete wall.

we have a 4 story stairwell concrete to work with, so depending on tempo of the song it goes on floor 2, 3, or 4 - with the door to the tracking room, just open an inch.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Mine is a ribbon that sits at the top of the stairs facing 3 plaster walls.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
Great!
What mics you took for OH, and this ribbons for room?
Thanks
Hey!

It's U87 for OH and GOLDEN AGE PROJECT R 1 (ribbon) as room mics, and they sound great with Api512 pre'amps. They are in fact very cheap

Golden Age Project

L8TR//
//Silver
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hey!

It's U87 for OH and GOLDEN AGE PROJECT R 1 (ribbon) as room mics, and they sound great with Api512 pre'amps. They are in fact very cheap

Golden Age Project

L8TR//
//Silver
Great!
I look at this ribbons and looks like mine!
I bought also the GAP R1 (active) changed the transformer to a lundahl LL1927A. I made few tracks with acoustic guitars and vocal through an A-Designs MP-2 Pre
Next i will buy another one for room. I hadn' time to check out on room!
Should good on OH too!
Great that works fine!
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hey!

Golden Age Project

L8TR//
//Silver
Oooh i forgot! Since June they have a shock mount for the R1 for less!
Thanks
Robert
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Depends on the size of the room.

Big rooms this is my usual setup:

5 feet away, 3 feet off the ground a pair of 87s.

farthest back wall, 15 feet up or more if possible a pair of Sony 37s.

Other farthest wall, 15 feet up, a pair of 4038.

I like my rooms to be actual reflections/natural reverb.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

I usually have a piar of 414s in mock/half-assed ORTFish configuration near the opposite end of the studio facing away from the kit. If I can spare the small iso booth during tracking, I'll put a mic in there too. With the door half closed the sound has to really work to find its way into the mic. Squashed through a JoeMeek SC2, that mic is often the only drum reverb used.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

ok room setup

Is this about right, or should I be setting up drums in the middle of the room?

Also..with drums in that location..is this a proper location for the room mics?

I have:...Cement floors, soft ceiling..couple rugs..decent amount of bass trapping in the room.

Thanks,
-poor rich

Old 7th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
Or he just doesn't exists.... in which case I would agree with George. Not everyone is a believer (nor should they be) so let's not bring that discussion up here on this forum please.

Thanks

So back to the subject. About room mics, many folks know this but don't put 2 + 2 together.

High end does not have as much energy as lows. Along with other things the ear uses high frequency content to gage distance. It's not the first cue our ears rely on but it is important none the less.

If I want to create depth in my room I roll off a little high end, if I want to add a little "closeness" to my room I add a little high end. Usually I do this with mic choice.

57's can be some pretty killer room mics for a "mid" size sound. Ribbons are pretty cool for some distance and a sparkly condenser is great for adding a little "up close" to the whole affair. This is very subtle all in all, a dark mic is not going to make my bathroom sound like St. Peters Cathedral but it will help to give a little illusion of a little larger space.

As of late I have been lazy and have started using some Shiny Box / Nady ribbons that are working out very well. At first I was not sure of them but as I have gotten used to them they are pretty cool. The nice thing about ribbons is naturally then have some high end cut to them that gives a little space to the room but they take EQ very well and if I want to add some high end to change the depth a little things don't get all fizzy on me.

Oh and don't forget that you can always use some reverb to extend your room mics as well. I use a pretty cool sounding tile bathroom off to the side of my tracking room as a chamber of sorts. All by it's self it is pretty cool sounding, not too small but not very big. The key is that room makes a great first reflection room. I set up a reverb with no first reflections, roll off some lows and highs on the room tracks and feed the rooms into the verb…. actually the UAD Plate 140 works great for this. Larger room without sounding really artificial.

Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

My go-to habit is 149 few feet in front, and a distant 77 way up high on boom.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Let me just add that if you guys haven't tried Earthworks QTC40's as room mics, DO IT!!! They changed my life. I love them every bit as much as 4038's or Pultecs.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
Or he just doesn't exists.... in which case I would agree with George. Not everyone is a believer (nor should they be) so let's not bring that discussion up here on this forum please.
Actually, you brought up that discussion, you could have just as easily let it go that someone else is a believer and not ashamed of it. Why is it that nobody bats an eye if someone talks about new age mysticism or yoga or Buddhism, but mention Jesus and everyone gets all politically correct and defensive? For most Christians our faith isn't something we believe but something we live. You're free to believe (or not believe) whatever you want, but you can't act offended when someone else professes their faith and expect them to keep quiet when you express your lack thereof in such a superior manner. The truth is that Jesus loves all of us regardless of our loving him in return. That, to me, is amazing.

You may now return to talking about room mics. I sometimes like to face mine away from the drums for less direct sound.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

[quote=not_so_new;1484287] About room mics, many folks know this but don't put 2 + 2 together.

High end does not have as much energy as lows. Along with other things the ear uses high frequency content to gage distance. It's not the first cue our ears rely on but it is important none the less.

If I want to create depth in my room I roll off a little high end, if I want to add a little "closeness" to my room I add a little high end. Usually I do this with mic choice.

Hey not so new-nice one for us too new!

GJ
Newcastle/OZ

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search