The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Where is your room mic placed? Condenser Microphones
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
Why is it that nobody bats an eye if someone talks about new age mysticism or yoga or Buddhism, but mention Jesus and everyone gets all politically correct and defensive?
Maybe because Christianism has killed and terrorized more people through the ages than any other form of religious dogma or dictatorship ?!...

I sure wish Jesus could multiply U47 though...
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
Maybe because Christianism have killed and terrorized more people through the ages than any other form of religious dogma or dictatorship ?!...
Man....Someone really should do something about all those darn Christianists
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
Or he just doesn't exists.... in which case I would agree with George. Not everyone is a believer (nor should they be) so let's not bring that discussion up here on this forum please.

Thanks

So back to the subject. About room mics, many folks know this but don't put 2 + 2 together.

High end does not have as much energy as lows. Along with other things the ear uses high frequency content to gage distance. It's not the first cue our ears rely on but it is important none the less.

If I want to create depth in my room I roll off a little high end, if I want to add a little "closeness" to my room I add a little high end. Usually I do this with mic choice.

57's can be some pretty killer room mics for a "mid" size sound. Ribbons are pretty cool for some distance and a sparkly condenser is great for adding a little "up close" to the whole affair. This is very subtle all in all, a dark mic is not going to make my bathroom sound like St. Peters Cathedral but it will help to give a little illusion of a little larger space.

As of late I have been lazy and have started using some Shiny Box / Nady ribbons that are working out very well. At first I was not sure of them but as I have gotten used to them they are pretty cool. The nice thing about ribbons is naturally then have some high end cut to them that gives a little space to the room but they take EQ very well and if I want to add some high end to change the depth a little things don't get all fizzy on me.

Oh and don't forget that you can always use some reverb to extend your room mics as well. I use a pretty cool sounding tile bathroom off to the side of my tracking room as a chamber of sorts. All by it's self it is pretty cool sounding, not too small but not very big. The key is that room makes a great first reflection room. I set up a reverb with no first reflections, roll off some lows and highs on the room tracks and feed the rooms into the verb…. actually the UAD Plate 140 works great for this. Larger room without sounding really artificial.

Thanks Michael for your illustration here!
Helped me to understand the basics on room mic's
Robert
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

To add to what others have mentioned, adding a little bit of a few off-axis dynamics (441, RE20, 57) scattered across the room is cool because it simulates bleed-through as if you were miking various amps, etc in the same room and the drums just happened to bleed through.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
Let me just add that if you guys haven't tried Earthworks QTC40's as room mics, DO IT!!! They changed my life. I love them every bit as much as 4038's or Pultecs.
Done it... Do it... Agree wholeheartedly. Except for the changing life thing.... For me it was lysergic acid diethylamide.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcCirDude View Post
Except for the changing life thing.... For me it was lysergic acid diethylamide.
Ah...LSD! And what did awareness reveal to you, did you experience Satori?!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

No, but I hallucinated that I was a goat named Bob. heh
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hallucinated that I was a goat named Bob
I can understand how you could consider that as being a 'life changing' event! heh
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyarecords View Post
I can understand how you could consider that as being a 'life changing' event! heh
Yeah.. Ever see the testicles on a goat? Named Bob????

P.S. Nice tip, Elias. thumbsup
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah.. Ever see the testicles on a goat? Named Bob????
Thankfully the 'universe' has been good in sparing me from this particular revelation!
Old 13th September 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
I sure wish Jesus could multiply U47 though...
Didn't you hear the one where he turned a single 57 into 3000 U47s?

It's in the new, new testament, the one where Jesus is a German named George.
Old 13th September 2007
Quote:
Actually, you brought up that discussion, you could have just as easily let it go that someone else is a believer and not ashamed of it. Why is it that nobody bats an eye if someone talks about new age mysticism or yoga or Buddhism, but mention Jesus and everyone gets all politically correct and defensive? For most Christians our faith isn't something we believe but something we live. You're free to believe (or not believe) whatever you want, but you can't act offended when someone else professes their faith and expect them to keep quiet when you express your lack thereof in such a superior manner. The truth is that Jesus loves all of us regardless of our loving him in return. That, to me, is amazing.
THIS IS NOT the forum for that conversation. I don't come here to talk religion or politics, I don't want to read about it here and I don't want to write about it here.

I don't care what BS you want to believe. You want to believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster be my guest. You want to believe is Jesus or Mohamed rock on..... just please don't bring it here is all I ask.

As an atheist I understand that my belief system could be offensive so I am respectful and courteous enough to not push my "belief" on others. I don't come here to GS and say "your religion is ridiculous, follow me and I will show you a better way to live." I don't care how you live as long as you don't hurt me or others with your stuff (which seems like a hard thing to do for most religions) and you don't get all up in my face (which also seems like a hard thing to do for most religions).

Why shouldn't I expect the same courtesy and respect in return? It does not seem like too much to ask does it? Did it ever cross your mind that others might find it offensive to read "JESUS LOVES YOU!" (in all CAPS non the less)?

I didn't make the statement about Jesus in the first place I just commented on the fact that this is not the forum for it. You can believe what you want just don't assume that everyone has to believe like you do... because we don't..... so don't even bring it up just believe in private or at your church please. Why is that so much to ask?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
THIS IS NOT the forum for that conversation. I don't come here to talk religion or politics, I don't want to read about it here and I don't want to write about it here.

I don't care what BS you want to believe. You want to believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster be my guest. You want to believe is Jesus or Mohamed rock on..... just please don't bring it here is all I ask.

As an atheist I understand that my belief system could be offensive so I am respectful and courteous enough to not push my "belief" on others. I don't come here to GS and say "your religion is ridiculous, follow me and I will show you a better way to live." I don't care how you live as long as you don't hurt me or others with your stuff (which seems like a hard thing to do for most religions) and you don't get all up in my face (which also seems like a hard thing to do for most religions).

Why shouldn't I expect the same courtesy and respect in return? It does not seem like too much to ask does it? Did it ever cross your mind that others might find it offensive to read "JESUS LOVES YOU!" (in all CAPS non the less)?

I didn't make the statement about Jesus in the first place I just commented on the fact that this is not the forum for it. You can believe what you want just don't assume that everyone has to believe like you do... because we don't..... so don't even bring it up just believe in private or at your church please. Why is that so much to ask?
Amen.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I believe in free speech. Post what you want. If you dont like what someone says or would like to stick to the topic. Entering into a debate creates the debate. If you want to talk about gear than post your words about the gear and leave others be.
Old 14th September 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

Quote:
Amen.
That is so ironic!

freakin hi-larious.

Not so New, lighten up, THE GREAT PUMPKIN LOVES YOU!
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I leave the door to the drum booth open and get a huge ambient sound off the bleed into the live room. Usually captured on a pair of B&K's setup in an open baby grand.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

The funny thing is, I didn't even notice the original post until you made a big deal about it. I had to look back through the thread twice to see what you were referring to. Like I said, you're the one who made this a discussion. I'm sorry that you don't believe in God, but don't pick this forum to make your snide comments. I'm proud of my beliefs (or as I call it, the truth), and I'm not going to crawl away just because you get pissy. If you were really so firm in your disbelief I doubt it would bother you this much.

Ribbons are great for rooms too, I like the R121's.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Two days ago...
Stagg Street Studios, Van Nuys, CA.
Neumann M49's on the room about 10 feet from the DW Drum Kit.
API console. LA3A on the M49's. Awesome Room!
Attached Thumbnails
Where is your room mic placed?-stagg-street-studios-2.jpg   Where is your room mic placed?-stagg-street-studios-1.jpg  
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
That is so ironic!

freakin hi-larious.

Not so New, lighten up, THE GREAT PUMPKIN LOVES YOU!

Haha! Yeah... I agree with the cat (or dog, as his ikon would indicate), but at the same time my hypocrisy meter started sounding off like a Geiger counter in the Nevada desert.

And you know what? In the end, should there be a white haired cat with His bearded hippie son at His right hand waiting for me somewhere in the confines of this cosmic soup we call our universe, I'll be the first one to hold out my hand and say . But, in the mean time, I'll be hunting down a good spot to place my room mics.

, love and whatever gets you through the night. (S'all right, s'all right....)
Old 14th September 2007
Quote:
The funny thing is, I didn't even notice the original post until you made a big deal about it. I had to look back through the thread twice to see what you were referring to. Like I said, you're the one who made this a discussion. I'm sorry that you don't believe in God, but don't pick this forum to make your snide comments. I'm proud of my beliefs (or as I call it, the truth), and I'm not going to crawl away just because you get pissy. If you were really so firm in your disbelief I doubt it would bother you this much.

Ribbons are great for rooms too, I like the R121's.
First I am completely fine with my belief system and I am completely fine with yours. Somehow you turned this into an attack of my conviction? Trust me I am more than confident enough in my own thinking.

Secondly, as to my being the one to pick this discussion topic. My original post was 2 sentences ONLY TWO. The reply that I got from you was a full paragraph on the subject. WHO exactly is making a BIG DEAL out of it? My replies since then have been to your statements. I was more than happy to leave my two sentances stand for themselves and that was "please don't bring this here beacuse this is not the forum for the topic." That does not seem to be okay with you so I am only calmly explaining my point of view.

To that point, I am not getting "pissy" at all.

You would take offence if I said out of the clear blue at the end of a post " Oh and any Christian reading this, your Jesus never existed on this earth, your bible even says so." That would be offensive to you right? I didn't say that in this conversation until just now but ONLY to make a point that words CAN be offensive.

Why can't you people get that saying things like "Jesus loves you" is offensive to others? I don't get that?

I don't walk into a room full of Hindus and talk about the great steak dinner I had last night. I don't walk into a room full of Muslims and talk about all the vodka tonics I drank at the strip club the night before. I don't think it is okay to ASSUME that others are going to agree with my religious beliefs. The best course of action is to ASSUME in mixed company that religious belief is a PERSONAL issue and don't say anything at all.

That's what I am asking you and others to do, remember you are in mixed company and don't talk about it because this is not the forum for it.

That's all... it seems really simple.

Don't tell me that Jesus loves me, he doesn't as far as I am concerned. He does as far as your concerned but you can keep that to yourself just as easily as tell me about it.

It's really easy, show a little respect for other viewpoints. You call that "pissy," I call that asking you to practice good manners.

Old 14th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
Two days ago...

What mic is there on HH?
I guess you get a smooth sounding with this mic place?
You take often this place on HH?
Thanx
Robert
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Neumann KM84...
It all depends on the sound I'm going for.
The photo on the left is from 2 days ago at Stagg Street Studios.
The photo on the right is from today at Santa Barbara Sound Design.
Different song. Different Vibe. Different Sound.
Attached Thumbnails
Where is your room mic placed?-hat-km84.jpg   Where is your room mic placed?-img_8284.jpg  
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Two days ago...
Hey tony,

Are those Pearlmans on the ohs??

How are you liking those for drum applications?

Thks

Bryce
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

No, believe it or not those are CAD e200's.
They are my favorite overhead mics.
Large diaphragm, very nice and crisp, but sounds full.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
No, believe it or not those are CAD e200's.
They are my favorite overhead mics.
Large diaphragm, very nice and crisp, but sounds full.
NO ****??? Wow, well I guess I should check out these Cad mics one of these days, everybody seems to love them and they are a bit cheaper than a pair of Pearlmans ( ).

Thanks for the tip.
Bryce
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Very often the best room mics are when there are a couple of 57's set up for "reference vocals" as the guitar players for whom I set up those mics seem to find some of the best sounding places in the room to stand... a mic in those spots is very often a beautiful thing.

i pretty much always find the same thing....i would say 95% of the time, even when i put up 3-7 REAL room mics...i end up getting the coolest sound out of the 57's or 58's thrown up for talk back or vocals....go figure. i have had good luck in alot of rooms with a stereo ribbon, ala the royer/speiden stereo, or the aea r88....both GREAT room mics !! especially through a nice limiter like a daking or purple audio mc76 !!

i was amazed on my last session at the room sound i was getting in a less than ideal drum room....i thought the room sounded pretty crappy, but put up a royer ribbon on a stand about 8 ft from the drumkit.......after tracking, i realized that the drummer had somehow knocked the mic off of its stand, and into a 3ft high laundry basket (yup...THAT kind of room)...and had additionally covered up the mic in said laundry basket with his snare drum bag, and several layers of drummer apparel....sounded fuggin good in the mix though !!!

peace..

jchristopherhughes

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search