The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What Comp (and Mic) for this voice? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

What Comp (and Mic) for this voice?

Please see the sig link titled "My band" to hear my singer. I am currently building a rack and will be purchasing a Compressor soon. I am thinking 1176LN. Would someone mind confirming if that would be optimal for the vocal style you hear from my singer? I also intend to use it on drum overheads, and maybe bass too.

Also, insight on Mic recommendations are appreciated as well.

PS- Please don't laugh at the horrible quality of the first 3 demo's! It was done by the drummer on his laptop through unmentionable circumstances (1/8th jack, corrupt software, no monitors, etc). Do the best w/ what you got, right? Hence my recent recording rig purchases and questions.

THANKS!
Old 7th September 2007
member no 666

With all due respect... without being in the room and hearing the singer... without being on the session and hearing different mics in context with the raw tracks that have been recorded there is no way in hell anyone could ever give you anything even approaching a valid recommendation.

They'll be able to tell you what they've used... they'll be able to rationalize their most recent purchases or give you food for thought on the products they have to sell... but only you can make the decision as to what will work best in the context of your music.

My suggestion to you would be to get your hands on as many mics as possible [like 5-6-7 of 'um] line them up in front of the singer and have him sing into the mics. One of them will probably speak to you vis a vis the context of the song... and that will be the best mic for the gig.

Anything other than a trial of that nature is great for entertaining yourself reading and making posts but will have zero validity as far as your music goes.

Peace.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Nut

I understand the nature of trial and error, and understand your perspective on the internet's "sell what they dont want" or "I like what I just dumped cash on". It's no different in guitarland.

But- to put it into perspective, if some guitar player said... "I want jangly", I wouldn't just say- try out all 2,000 amps out there. I may be helpful and lead him to matchless, vox, etc... at least narrow the search. Cause lets face it- there are only so many style of guitar... and there are only so many ways a human can sing. I was hoping to get enough answers to sift through and start researching a select group of mics to try. I guess its just my quirky way to start "the process" (I do it with everything).

Hence why I also posted a **** clip. Singer boy is loud and raspy, so I figured maybe someone could suggest some things that add a pleasant color (or lack thereof) to a basic clip.

PS- its a good thing I read your post twice, cause I almost misinterpreted it as condescending... when you were just pointing out the obvious flaw to any message board.

Thanks.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Head

Given the obvious problems in hearing your singers ”true” voice I’m still going to stick my neck out and give you a starting point.
Try a ribbon mic, preferable an active one that can handle phantom power to avoid accidents.

Then start out trying any of the various different LA-3A clones that are “floating” around, UA are making a good one.
Kind regards
andy
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

as mentioned above, this is a very hard question.

the best thing to do is stop by a local studio with a good mic selection and try a few out(in your price range) to see what works best. Might be money well spent. I'm sure the engineers would help you decide. 2-3 hours at most.

once you have narrowed it down to two or three mics, try each with a different preamp to make sure they still sound good to you.
Old 24th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Hey,

I haven't heard the track but here is the only advice you will ever need.

The 1176 is a classic. It can be a little aggresive but if you learn how to use it you can't go wrong.

That aside here is my recomendation: ANY DECENT ONE. Obviously Behringer and the lot are not decent but anything you could compare with the 1176 in terms of that elusive concept called "quaity" will do.

Others will disagree and that's fine but here is an example of what I mean. I am a guitar player/songwriter. I won't go into my studio setup details. It's irrelevant but the total cost is high 5 digit. Aside from this I own 13 guitars and I can't remember how many amps....all different. If someone pointed a gun to my head and said "choose one setup choose now" it would be very easy for me. I'd just close my eyes and point at random knowing that at the end of the day the job would still get done fine thumbsup

Hope this helps!!!

Cheers,

V

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search