The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sell or invest in my gear? Condenser Microphones
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Head

Sell or invest in my gear?

Sorry to say it, but I'm finished with my recording business. I still have a lot of gear. For the analog units I'm not sure if it would be best to liquidate them now, or hold on to them to earn more from them a few years from now? What does everyone think the demand for esoteric filters and tube pre-amps will be years from now? For example, I own an Avalon 737 pre-amp, Mutronics Mutator filter, and a Sherman Filterbank 2. All were purchased new and are in great condition.
Old 7th September 2007
The answer to that is dependend on each piece of gear. The 737, will not appreciate. The other two you list might, but probably not. When you adjust for inflation, as a collection, selling your gear now is the better move, especially if you're going to put the money into somethign else (in any sense of that meaning).

The only issue currently is interest rates and the economy. You might have an easier time selling it in 8 months, but that wait is not going to bring you a huge increase in value.

There are a few oddball pieces that might be worth keeping. A UA 2108 would be an interesting spec piece. the people who know them love them and there are so few around, that the right comment at the right time in the right place could make them very valuable. Something like the Chandler TG-1 with an original Beatle faceplate might have some collector value, but probably not much, especially because people may prefer the new tape of the pots. then again, some of the early ones had different transformers.

Astronomic values are based on supply and demand. In "investment" piece needs to be something where the demand will continue to increase while the suppily decreases. So anything that's still being manufactured at the moment is almost certainly not a good choice for an investment piece.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

what mike said....

liquidate...gear is not an investment. (even though in some cases you can make money moving pieces) this biggest issue at hand is inflation. 2000.00 today may only be worth 1800.00 in a few years etc. so your gear has to go up tremendously in value for it to be viable "investment". some vintage gear has done this but i would not advise someone to speculate on it. if you are going to speculate do it with stocks, bonds, real estate, gold , or oil .

also - you said you bought most pieces new. this will make it very hard to make a "return".

my 2 cents...

electric
Old 7th September 2007
500 series nutjob

i think Mike is certainly making some very valid points, most of witch i agree, but?
just want to say i feel any good quality piece of gear has the potential to be collectible, and thus appreciate.
having said that i truly have no confidence in the Avolon as i just do not see it being as sought after as other gear currently manufactured today, and as Mike stated
Quote:
When you adjust for inflation, as a collection, selling your gear now is the better move, especially if you're going to put the money into something else (in any sense of that meaning).
now let me highlight
Quote:
especially if you're going to put the money into something else (in any sense of that meaning).
all investments are potentially a gamble.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
all investments are potentially a gamble.
True, but in audio gear, anything but a vintage U47, 251, C12, U67, 1073/1081 or Fairchild (and the like) is a HUGE gamble. One I'm willing to take, but ONLY, ONLY if I'm actually USING the gear on a consistant basis. If the poster is going to be storing it and then selling later, he's much better off selling now.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
If the poster is going to be storing it and then selling later, he's much better off selling now.
thumbsup

Some pieces may appreciate, but some will drop substantially in value.
Terrible way to gamble with your money.
Yes, hard to let go of some gear...........but be realistic.

The stock market will go up and down, but in the long pull it will certainly go up more than inflation.
Or even in a no-risk account earning interest..................anything beats the risk of investing in gear for a financial return.

Just reality.
Old 7th September 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Holding on to gear for potential investment purposes, unless you're talking about vintage microphones is a baaaaaaaadd idea. tutt

First, unlike other true investment instruments, where you can do due diligence and research their investment potential, with gear there is no such research that can be done. It's a crapshoot, and if you're looking for something to put your money in for financial appreciation, you want to put it into something steadier.

That's especially true today, where the advances being made in software technology grow by leaps and bounds every year, and can be assumed will only continue to get even better, putting more future pressure on hardware. High profile musicians and mixers are now routinely using only software to do all their work that they once employed hardware for.

And while there will probably always be those who will say that hardware will still always sound better, even if that's true, the margins between hardware and software continue to get smaller and smaller, especially when you look at how far we've come in the last few years alone. As this trend continues, the demand for hardware will decrease, and we all know how the law of supply and demand works...
Old 7th September 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

yes, sell now.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

use it or sell it

if it's not being used as a tool to make money, sell it now.

any manufactured good is a commodity and doesn't hold its value, especially electronics where economy of scale manufacturing and new innovation comes into play.

the only exceptions that prove the rule are the truly rare vintage pieces such as a few microphones that are no longer manufactured and even they are valuable only to a handful of people. modern substitutes diminish even those rare pieces after a while.

something is worth only what someone else will pay you for it right now and it's usually less than what you think it is worth.

recording equipment = tools to be used in a job, nothing more.
tools depreciate whether they get used or not.
no prospect for profitable use ? dump it, take the cash and get away.
Old 7th September 2007
Sell. Any appreciation will be offset by inflation. What good is gear that is worth more in dollars down the road when the dollar isn't worth as much?

Better yet, sell in Europe for Euros, that will pad the sale price around 20%.

It's a great time to invest in real estate. Buyer's market right now.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Sell. Any appreciation will be offset by inflation. What good is gear that is worth more in dollars down the road when the dollar isn't worth as much?

Better yet, sell in Europe for Euros, that will pad the sale price around 20%.

It's a great time to invest in real estate. Buyer's market right now.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Yeah, sell in Europe. $ is down, they save up to 38% and love avalon...

Take the money and invest in sth that will surely rise....
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Head

I'd be interested in the mutronics if you decide to sell it, drop me a line!!
Old 7th September 2007
Can anyone name a single piece of gear made since 1980 that has appreciated in value?

Maybe NS-10s. I don't know what they're selling for, but I'm pretty sure nothing has.

A good speculative gear investment would be analog tape and consoles. There is a chance that they are currently way undervalued and could appreciate back to normal values 5 years from now.

Why not post the gear list and people can offer opinoins on what they think might appreciate.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Mutronics are no longer making Mutators.

It would not surprise me if it would be worth more in a few years, there is no other unit that sounds quite like it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search