The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
...pre for the royer sf-12? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

...pre for the royer sf-12?

I have been using a royer sf-12 for overhead drum , piano , etc. I don't feel i am getting the most i can out of this mic, unless it's a very loud source (drums). I feel the right pre will bring it to life. so far i have tried a phoenix audio pre and some V72's for loud stuff.
I am thinking api, or the AEA ribbon pre...
Any suggestions.?
thanks,
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

You didn't like the Phoenix? My Royer (121) pretty much stays permanently linked to a Phoenix DRS... now and again into an old tube Altec, but mainly the DRS. They work together very well for me. What didn't you like?
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

The Phoenix is just sort of plain sounding with the sf-12. I can see it working with a 121 which is a different sounding mic. sf-12 needs something with more gain-balls...
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

ADL 600

I use my R121 with my ADL 600 almost exclusively. The ADL 600 has a similar "up front" midrange as my API 3124 with a little more sparkle and definition on the top end. Plus the ADL has variable impedance. The 1500 ohm setting is exactly what Royer recommends. Hope this helps. Peace.

Jason
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Nut

My SF-12 and AEA ribbon pre are a sweeet match!
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

Hi! If you want more punch to your drumtracks try and get hold of a Universal Audio 2108 preamp.... Snappiest thing I've ever tried....

APIs are fine too; Neve 1073 sound cool as well, but doesn't do it for my with the cymbals... Hey; even the onboard pres of my Toft ATB sounds cool with the SF-12. Maybe alittle rounded off though; not as much transients.
Old 6th September 2007
member no 666

I quite like the SF-12 through the Chandler LTD. TG-2 [if it's available and appropriate]... the other pre I use [if the TG-2 isn't available or appropriate] is the Crane Song LTD. "Flamingo". They're radically different sounds... the Flamingo 'faster' and 'snappier' the Chandler 'smoother' and 'creamier'... seeing that I record most drums in the digital domain I generally go for the Chandler [if available... as in not in use on snare, etc.]... when I'm rolling to tape I'll usually lean toward the Flamingo.

I hope this is of some assistance.

Peace.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

I don't have a SF-12 but I do have a few ribbons and a stereo ribbon mic. I love what my API's do for them. I also feel that the API's have plenty of gain for ribbons as well. I personally really really want to try a pair of Purple Audio BIZ pre's on with my stereo ribbon. I believe they have 75 db of gain in dual mode and can go from somewhat clean to gritty if you want them to.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

I like the SF12 with the John Hardy M-1, API, Pacifica, and P1 preamps. Something faster with transformers usually sounds best to me.

Brad
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

thanks for the replies, I think the TG-2 or API might be perfect. The Purple 500 looks good too. The other problem i have with the phoenix is, when recording something like acoustic guitar on the sf-12 , the gain required, even though the phoenix has the gain, is pretty noisy (hiss) gain. not a problem with a 121 but, my sf-12 puts out alot less level than my 121.
thanks again, nico.
Old 6th September 2007
If the Phoenix sounds plain to you, all the clean fast stuff that many are recommending wouldn't be my cup of tea because it's counter intuitive. Get the Chandler TG-2. Just my 2 cents.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

the most sugestions i read from pros are vintage tab siemens v77 for ribbon mics .

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search