The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Power Problem
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Nut

Power Problem

Wondering if anyone could shed some light to my current studio crisis. After planning the electrical system in our new studio control room, the owner took it upon himself to add a dimmer to the main lights. (oh no!) i can hear the effects when attenuation occurs in the monitoring system because its on the same circuit as it. Now swapping the monitoring system to another circuit would be the obvious answer but not possible for various reasons. I don't want to swap one of the other systems (ie. the computers, or convertors, etc) to this circuit cuz its gonna add noise to them.

So here is my problem he wont let me change the dimmer to a regular switch. Do you think i should get a power conditioner and capacitor or replace the dimmer to those huge ass noiseless ones? Which would give the owner a lesser heart attack on the invoice? and which would be a better solution? suggestions, comments,...comforting me on the fact i have a stupid studio owner lol.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Nut

Well i do appriciate the overwhelming feedback. Just in case anyone has this problem in the future, I found the best solution is to decouple from the circuit via a UPS. Its pretty much eliminated the problem al together.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search