The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The U47 of the SDC family? Condenser Microphones
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

The U47 of the SDC family?

What's generally considered to be the MOST desired SDC mic ever?
Not for a specific source, but for ALL the situations (in rhythmic music) where you would prefer the SDC type of mic - Acoustic guitar, piano, OH, snare, hat, perc etc...

Vintage Gefell, Shoeps, Neumann, AKG, Neumann/Gefell, Telefunken? - with tubes? etc...

Don't get it wrong - I know peoples have different tastes, but there must be a legendary SDC like the U47 (which is commonly agreed to be one of the sweetest and most sought after LDC's ever).
What do you think?
Thanks
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Good candidates the for U47 of the SDC family would be the Neumann KM54, AKG C28 and Schoeps 221B.

J. Mike Perkins
jmikeperkins.com myspace.com/jmikeperkins
Old 6th September 2007
JB3
Gear Addict

Neumann KM-84
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
Neumann KM-84
I certainly wouldn't classify the KM-84 as the most desired SDC of all time. They are pretty bread and butter the way I see it. I like them, but I don't consider them a "wow" microphone and most shops have at least two of them.

I'd say KM54 is more of a candidate, or an mv691.
Old 6th September 2007

How about the KM56?
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Guru

KM 54 / KM84
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

You might say a Neumann SM2, or KM56...but the M50 qualifies with its KK53.
Old 6th September 2007
JB3
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokushoka View Post
I certainly wouldn't classify the KM-84 as the most desired SDC of all time. They are pretty bread and butter the way I see it. I like them, but I don't consider them a "wow" microphone and most shops have at least two of them.

I'd say KM54 is more of a candidate, or an mv691.
Precisely why the KM84 is right up there. Marvelously capable microphone, tonally adept, and as ubiquitous as the U47...
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing the new TelefunkenUSA M260 tube pencil mic with 3 changeable heads and external power supply. This just might be the pencil mic to beat.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Head

KM54 - My best SDC friend!
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

km54 my fav but lately I am using almost all the time my km86, just great and definitely up there with the km54 for holy grail sdc
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

KM 54/56, marvelous mics! And really underestimated for vocals!
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

What's SDC?

Thanks,
Pupo
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

SDC= Small Diaphragm Condenser (microphone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpupo74 View Post
What's SDC?

Thanks,
Pupo
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Another +1 for the KM56. Amazing on just about everything and it's the best SDC I've ever heard on a vocal.
Old 6th September 2007
member no 666

Quote:
Neumann KM-84
Then you're gonna love the "KM-69" when we release it October... it IS a KM-84!!
Old 6th September 2007
Thanks for the heads up Fletcher!
Old 6th September 2007
JB3
Gear Addict

KM-69?

Come again Fletch?
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Another vote for the KM54/56. I have three 84s and while they share the same nickel capsule as the 54/56, the AC701 tube of the 54/56 imparts an airy top end and dimensionality unlike any other SDC I've used. The KM84 is a good mic but the 54/56 is a classic, just like the U47.
Old 7th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudHudson View Post
Another vote for the KM54/56. I have three 84s and while they share the same nickle capsule as the 54/56, the AC701 tube of the 54/56 imparts an airy top end and dimensionality unlike any other SDC I've used. The KM84 is a good mic but the 54/56 is a classic, just like the U47.
Hey Hud,
KM84's and 56's don't share the same capsule design. 84's are gold/mylar. 56 is a nickel membrane. Combine that with the tube/transistor differences and they are really quite different. I love 'em both!
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Then you're gonna love the "KM-69" when we release it October... it IS a KM-84!!
Quote:
Come again Fletch?

But seriously, you're releasing a KM84 clone? Do tell.
Old 7th September 2007
member no 666

You'll get to see it/hear it at our booth at AES... other than that all I can really tell you is that the prototyping process took several months, the final design choices were sent out to several folk I seriously trust [who also either had excellent KM-84's or knew them like the back of their hand]... the selection process was unanimous and the mic is going into "production prototype" status as we speak.

This will not be a "Mercenary Edition" but the first [of probably many] Mercenary products.

Drop by the booth at AES and give it a look/see/hear... EU distribution is being lined up for the UK and France to start and we'll see where it goes from there... if any US dealers are interested that's fine too as we're not interested in a sales monopoly like VK plays with the Shadow Hills stuff.

Peace.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

Very interesting. IMO all the current mid-range SDCs - KM184, M300, Beyer 930, C42 etc - sound a little too bright. Nothing that can't be tamed but if you could make a workhorse SDC with the character of the original KM84 you should get a lot of fans (like me!)...
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
Hey Hud,
KM84's and 56's don't share the same capsule design. 84's are gold/mylar. 56 is a nickle membrane. Combine that with the tube/transistor differences and they are really quite different. I love 'em both!
Thanks, Rick. I thought an 84 had a nickel membrane.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

Gefell M295 and M296 have nickel diaphragms if you need a current production SDC that does. I haven't heard them but everyone who talks about having heard them leaves me drooling.

Bear
Old 7th September 2007
member no 666

The Gefell 295 and 296 are indeed the only metal membraned mics still on the market... and a LOT of KM-54's and KM-56's that are floating around have had their diaphragms changed to gold sputtered mylar [which isn't necessarily a bad thing... but it is definitely a different thing than the way those mics were born].

The KM-84 [as well as the KM-69]'s diaphragm is gold sputtered mylar... but they sound absolutely bitchin' none the less.

Peace.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Guru

I haven't use a lot of vintage mic, but a friend has a pair of AKG C60 tube SDCs (with cardiod and omni capsules) that I think sound fan-freaking-tastic!
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Another vote for the KM54 - I've got a pair of KM254s and agree that while the KM84s are nicer than most of what's currently produced (I've got 5 of them) the KM(2)54 is in another league. I've got a C60 and while it's nice, it has a higher noise floor and the capsules I've heard don't sound as good as the nickel diaphgram capsule Neumann used to make.

Rick
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
The Gefell 295 and 296 are indeed the only metal membraned mics still on the market...
Peace.
DPA 4006 [and it's brothers and sisters] are nickel diaphragm microphones, and they're still on the market! And Neumann M 150 is as far as I know and metal diaphragm too, and then there is SE titan and... ... ...
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Guru

Another nice one is the Geffell 692 body with M70 capsules. They are the nickel capsules and are very nice. Ever so slightly more of a HF lift than the 84's but with the same Neumann mojo.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search