The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
a/b testing deceiving? Channel Strips
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
That only the begining. You need to not only listen to how it sits in a final mix, but use different mics and mic positions and try it on multiple instruments. It takes a lot of use to have a truly informed opinion on a piece of gear.

I couldn't have said it better myself. My feeling towards any piece of gear (mic, pre, compressor, room, musical instrument, etc...) changes and evolves the more I work with it. I won't even state an initial opinion about gear if I haven't worked with it for a whole session.

As for measurements vs. listening, I think listening is essential for almost all gear, with the major exception being digital converters. I want digital conversion as clean and transparent as the testing equipment indicates it can be. I don't want subjectivity with digital conversion.

One more note about measurements, it is a good tool if your goal is a ultra-clean and transparent mic pre. Tests and measurements are essential in this case.

However, with compressors, etc, tests can't tell you anything about how the dynamics will affect your transients/sustain, etc. And colored mic-pres will almost always fail the distortion tests, but thats the point.... It's like measuring a Marshall full-stack for distortion. yup, its there...
Old 11th September 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaudio View Post
No, yes.
Thanks for clarifying. You understand everything, and yes, don't have a sense of aesthetic.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

quite revealing....
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Yeah, anyone can know what's better by reading here.

Or you should just know how much better is better.

A/B tests are a starting point. I almost always feel differently about gear after living with it a while. Also, they are extremely aplication specific. There's so much gear that doesn't work for a particular sound source, and is magic on others.
im glad your not on the crap taste good website you would just take their words for it.....fuuck
Old 12th September 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daillman View Post
im glad your not on the crap taste good website you would just take their words for it.....fuuck
ok, you guys have lost me. dailiman, does that quote not read as sarcastic? that's the reason for the .

ssaudio, your two word posts don't seem to add to the conversation, but I guess it's fun for you so...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search