The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why can't they make a mic like this Condenser Microphones
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Why can't they make a mic like this

Why can't they make a perfect mic? I mean i'm sure it's possible to make a mic that is able to adjust to anything that you put in front of it. Can this be possible to make? sure it would be expensive, but well worth it for alot of us. Imagine having that one mic that you could use on anything and would sound magical..
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Guru

What's "perfect"??? That's a word for measuring and cutting.

These are pretty damn good: U47, C12, U67 ... Shure 545 and Unidyne III.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

an infinite amount of selectable (or self-detecting-and-switching) amplifier circuits and capsules in one housing...yeah, totally doable.

nope.

you know what's more important than having a magical microphone? having a magical singer who sounds good no matter what he/she is standing in front of.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I mean a mic that just does everything. A u47 is great, but u still can't use that mic for everything..
Old 5th September 2007
They should make a wine that always goes with all food. All that picking and choosing different vintages and grape types is bothersome.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
They should make a wine that always goes with all food.
already exists:
Old 5th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon View Post
already exists:

Weird, a Cab that goes with everything...isn't a Cab. Looks to be a blend though, I'll have to try it, thanks for the tip!
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHENDONLY View Post
Why can't they make a perfect mic? I mean i'm sure it's possible to make a mic that is able to adjust to anything that you put in front of it. Can this be possible to make? sure it would be expensive, but well worth it for alot of us. Imagine having that one mic that you could use on anything and would sound magical..

Let's forget the theory for a second.... so how exactly would this work? If you have an overly bright/sibilant source, how does it become darker to compensate? If you have a very sharp transient material and you want something that keeps that under control.. how do you make the mic less sensitive? how do you adjust the size of the diaphragm on the fly to give the physical characteristics of 6mm omni elements, LDCs, SDCs, etc? What does this mic look like? And what sort of super computer is connected to control all these variables?
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Nevermind that would be a bad idea cause it would'nt be good for you gear pimps. Anything is possible to acheive however...
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Err, Ed Asner will never be Kublai Khan, Andy Williams will never record another hit record of new material, and I will never be able to overcome the laws of thermodynamics no matter how much I want to or try....
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

We like the mikes BECAUSE they're not perfect .
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Keep your eyes peeled for a magic lamp. If you can find one and rub it you can ask the Genie that pops out to create this mic for you as one of your wishes.

May I recommend Jessica Alba as your second wish and perhaps and endless supply of 92' Trinidads as your third.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

Such a mic does exist and i hear Behringer copied the schematics and it will be available for sale at guitar center soon!
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

OK time to go make music and stop posting
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nevermind that would be a bad idea cause it would'nt be good for you gear pimps. Anything is possible to acheive however...
ya and thats why they've already nailed guitar amp or any analog modeling for that matter
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon View Post
already exists:
Touche. Great wine. Concha Y Toro has some really good stuff. Though I imagine it's a might cheaper down the the US then here ;-)
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

Well then again I used to think cloning was purely fantasy, and nasa does have metal that regrows itself if you pierce it.
So anything is possible.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Why not?

The Liquid Microphone

Its bad enough ya destroy sonics after you record them...ya might as well start with Krap...then you wont hafta work so hard
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

They already make this mic.

It's called an SM57.
Old 5th September 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

That's what I was thinking!

Why can't they make ears so everyone hears the same?
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I mean a mic that just does everything. A u47 is great, but u still can't use that mic for everything..

why not?

there plenty of hit songs with not so good mics.

i mean... have you heard "chocolate rain"

more than 8 million "hits"

hahahahah
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Ok, a 57 and a u47 fet, maybe a u67 too... those are and all I would ever need for mics..

But you may be looking for this josephson C7000A thingy
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
What's "perfect"??? That's a word for measuring and cutting.
I am stealing this statement. thanks Lucey

It is perfect
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

this is a strange question. I guess it similar to a guitarist always craving that one guitar that does it all.. and the truth is.. it will never exist.. people have tried like Line 6 but what is the result?.. Souless Crap!. As soon as you try and make one thing do too much, it stops being amazing at any one thing.
Personally i prefer that nothing is perfect.. i like the fact that, if you want to cover all bases you have to buy a few different guitars / drums / amps / mics / pre's/ comps etc etc.. I love the feeling when i've tried all my best gear out and the thing that works is the cheapest bit of crap in my collection. likewise i like the feeling when items you have invested a lot in pay off time and time again!! WE ARE GEARSLUTZ AFTER ALL. if there was one thing in every category that was the undebatable best we would not even be talking right now.. we'd all be making music on exactly the same gear and everything would sound the same! BORRING!!

Sorry to rant!! haha
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
never it would kill mic sales real quick .
plus there would be anything to babble about in new gear.
and your sound and every one elses would all be the same .
you could never hi- light something or give it's own sound or tone to an instrurment
all the bands would just sound the same all the time
James
Old 6th September 2007
Jai guru deva om

A great EQ or three can go a long way towards making one mic work with just about anything...!

War
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Perfect mic?

Why not a perfect woman.... or a perfect car.... what've you been smokin'?
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Every perfect mic would have to come with the perfect room

-SD
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Head

A perfect mic is like a perfect woman - One preferrs small "model" types, others Pamela Anderson and some like fat girls...
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Likewise, a perfect wine must come with a perfect view.

-SD

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search