The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studer 962 manual? Consoles
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Studer 962 manual?

Hi guys, dos anybody know where i might be able to find a manual for a Studer 962 console? I need to find out waht all the multipin plug on the back do? Or perhaps if some one has one of these do you know if it's possible to connect two seperate sets of outputs (controlled by the control room volume and going through the output compressors). I'd like to run one set of out outputs to a house PA in a small venue and another set of outputs to a set of powered monitors on the stage. Its pretty unclearly labelled on the back. Any other 962 enthusiasts out there. I love the sound of this thing but no manual!
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hi
It may be on the Studer website if you dig around
Matt S
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac
No it's not AFAIK, as 961/962 was still in production. You'll have to purchase it from Studer, would cost $200 or something I guess.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Hi,I've got it,both a 962 and an original manual.
Little busy right now,I'll come back in a couple hours with a scanned copy of pinout assignment for the rear multipin connectors.
Anyway,U can have two differnt mix,one driven by master faders(output on main rear L+R XRL),one by studio monitor pot(output on CR monitor module rear multipin connector)
Hope I understand your question,more to come.
See ya soon.
Luca.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Here I am.
U can use both Studio Monitor Output on the Aux Unit/Studio Monitor Module(pin 14 to 17 for L+,L-,R+,R-,pin 9 it's an available Ov for screen cable),or Control Monitor Output on Cr Monitor Module(Pin 18-19 for L+ and L-,pin 34-35 for R+,R-,pin 7 for screen cable).
Hope this helps.

Luca.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Ok,I've just realized maxfilesized allowed it's not enough for a good view(May be I'm loosing something about attached files?),trust my previous post,or ask for more.

Luca.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

thank you so much! i'd happily pay for the rest of the manual if you could possibly make me a copy. The desk i have isn't very clearly labelled on the back. How do you find working with your console and what situations have you used it in?
Old 6th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl View Post
Hi guys, dos anybody know where i might be able to find a manual for a Studer 962 console? I need to find out waht all the multipin plug on the back do? Or perhaps if some one has one of these do you know if it's possible to connect two seperate sets of outputs (controlled by the control room volume and going through the output compressors). I'd like to run one set of out outputs to a house PA in a small venue and another set of outputs to a set of powered monitors on the stage. Its pretty unclearly labelled on the back. Any other 962 enthusiasts out there. I love the sound of this thing but no manual!
We've got 7 of these consoles and love them. They are built like tanks and are great sounding.
There are a couple of things to remember about the use of the compressors in the 961/962 series consoles. Without using the TT insert points on the back of the module there is only a fixed limiter on the output bus that, if memory serves, is at either +12 or +18 dBu.
If you want to use the compressor, you need to patch it into the master bus TT inserts on the back of the channel strip. Here you can also get a Prefade electronically balanced output of both the bus direct out as well as the compressor out. You can actually patch the compressor into any individual channel insert point as well. But remember that it is a PWM compressor and doesn't like to be driven hard!
If you need 2 outputs with independent volume controls and have the studio speaker option in the console, you can use the Control room out and Studio out fed from the same output bus. (There are 2 versions of the Aux output module, one that has a pair of XLR's on the back and one with a 25 pin d-sub connector. If you have XLR's you've got the simple aux module with no studio connections)
The only caveat is that you will need to get the studio speaker outputs from the 25 pin connector of the studio module and the control room outputs from the 50 pin connector.
All the best,
-mark
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

thank you for brilliant reply! i have the studio aux unit i think ( with the 50 pin dsub connector) I have been using the control room outputs for my studio speakers which, as you said, have the compressor across them automatically. But what i assume to be the main outputs (with what appears to be a sigma symbol next to them) are not connected to the compressor. I see the studio output on the aux unit but it seems to be only one xlr connector. I imagine it's a mono output? Ideally i would take the main outputs from the master channels but i haven't yet figured out how to insert the compressor over. Do you just connect a bantam cable from the compressor output into into the compressor input. I only have bantam to xlr and jack at the moment. Thanks for your help again.thumbsup
Old 28th September 2007
Super Moderator

Some excellent information -- Thanks a lot for the information.

Man, I can surely use a copy (PDF) of the Studer 962 operation/service manual.
I just picked one up a few weeks ago.
We're lost with regard to some of the console's operation and interfacing due to the lack of clear labelling...

Can you folks help a fellow Gearslut out?

Thanks again folks!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search