The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studer A80 2" 16trk DAW Software
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Studer A80 2" 16trk

what do you think of these machine?
sound? maintenance a problem?
got a chance to get one, said to be in good condition (can't go so far to check my self) for 5000€ thats inc. door to door delivery which is alone 1400€...
what do u think?
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowswing View Post
got a chance to get one, said to be in good condition (can't go so far to check my self) for 5000€ thats inc. door to door delivery which is alone 1400€...
what do u think?
If you can't check it out yourself (or have a trusted tech check it out) I would probably pass. The risk is just too great!
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have a MKIV..
Great ballsy machine if it's been maintained..
Sounds crappy in sync..

You might get it for less. I paid 4500 U.S. last year and mine is like a museum piece..very clean.. (and mine came with a 24 headstack)
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

iirc, they tended to have speed/tape tension issues as they get close to the ends and beginnings of the reels. for not much more you could likely get an A800 which is the real deal in strudel as far as i'm concerned. bigger machine physically but a world of improvement as far as transport and sonic performance.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear
I billed over a million dollars in dates on mine over the years. Some people think they sound better than A800s......everyone agrees that the A800 transport is worlds better.

I never had a problem with speed issues although I do think its slightly inherent in the design. If that bugs you....get a Lynx unit....now cheap and sync it to your DAW. The Lynx will keep the captsan more stable.

I'n buying a parts machine this month and hopefully will be offering some parts here if you do this.

My only other comment is....I think the price is high.
Old 5th September 2007
A-80 MKIV was the worst sounding 24 track machine I ever used. Total nasal qualities, no air. An A-800 beats it as does JH-24's, 827's, Stevens, etc.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hmm...interesting..a bunch of the Stones "Bridges To Babylon" were cut on the machine I have as well as this record thats number 2 in Canada right now..
MySpace.com - Bedouin Soundclash - Toronto, CA - Reggae / Dub / Soul - www.myspace.com/bedouin
Old 5th September 2007
That record proves my point, it's one of the worst sounding CD's I've ever bought.
Total grind and distortion on the vocals right on the first cut. The background vocals sound like Cylons from the old Battlestar Galactia TV show. Yes, I gave Don Was a bunch of crap about that mistake. He deserved it.

Now, that "Stripped" CD done by Bob Clearmountain is a joy to listen to.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

too expensive !!!!

Pass on the A80 at 5k euro.... especially if you cannot fully check it out AND have a full head report done. NEVER buya tape recorder without knowing exactly the conditiion of the heads and machine itself.

Go to my web site and read the "tips on buying a tape recorder" page and look at the "bad heads" page as well. Analog Rules!!! Pro-Audio Parts and Service

You can make great sounding recordings on an A80. You can make horrible sounding recordings on an A80. It depends not on the machine, but on the skill and quality of things around the machine - the engineer, the band, the mic preamps, the size and sound of the room, the mics, the placement of the mics... and so on.

regards,

Goreski
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
A-80 MKIV was the worst sounding 24 track machine I ever used. Total nasal qualities, no air. An A-800 beats it as does JH-24's, 827's, Stevens, etc.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Well, it may have been the worst sounding machine YOU ever used, but there were certainly plenty of good sounding records made on them. There are just as many folks that dog JH24s...or Otaris, or whatever when their record wasn't a freaking hit.

Its a tool. Use it right and it works right.

As to an A800 being better.....duh...it was supposed to....
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

whats the word on MKII?
Old 6th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffmo View Post
Well, it may have been the worst sounding machine YOU ever used, but there were certainly plenty of good sounding records made on them. There are just as many folks that dog JH24s...or Otaris, or whatever when their record wasn't a freaking hit.

Its a tool. Use it right and it works right.

As to an A800 being better.....duh...it was supposed to....
I never fought a recorder as much as the A-80. Everything fed into it changed badly. The last thing I wanted was the recorder (repeater in my world) to change the sound of a source I worked so hard to achieve. I even went as far as using para EQ's to try and touch it up, even after a precise alignment with the Audio Precision it sounded like ass. The cassette machines sounded better. The A810 sounded better, the JH-24 sounded better, MTR-90's sounded better, Stevens really sounded much better, what's left that didn't? 888 pro tools sounded worse.

I would never use one again after that 3 year nightmare with it. Oh, it also costs around $400~$500 each time the Studer guy came out to fix it, that was about once every 2 months.

A-80 = fog machine with tape.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Jim,
Whick MK was it?
Was it just one machine or did you have this experience with a lot of them?
..pc
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear
Jim...no disrespect intended but a lot of good people, folks with pretty impeccable credentials, have worked on my machine.

I've heard bitches about the punch ins, general transport issues.....but never about the sound. Its ran for several records as a slave to an MTR90, and it was often chosen to print to the Studer.

At least one very well known NYC tech feels the A80 in fact sounds better than the 800.

You of course are entitled to your opinion......but there are many that don't share your dislike for that series.
Old 7th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYMAX View Post
Jim,
Whick MK was it?
Was it just one machine or did you have this experience with a lot of them?
..pc
This was a MK4, the latest and best version. Sorry folks that I don't like them but this opinion was garnered from years of experience with just about all models of 2" machines. They were the bottom of the analog food chain. Just try and record a classical or acoustic jazz session with one and you will understand my reservations about that machine. Too much color for me. Try and record a bell tree, it won't.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, good point...it does suck on quiet stuff..you have to be super careful with calibration and levels to avoid noise issues..
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

A80

I like mine enough to keep several of those A80 MK II.
I have 2x 24 2", 1x 2 trks 0.5" and 0.25'.
They all sound great.
I would not buy an old Studer sight unseen.
Old 10th September 2007
Mastering Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowswing View Post
what do u think?
Wasn't dark Side Of The Moon recorded on a MKII?

If it is in good shape it will definitely rock on the right music. Where about is it located?
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

I heard that DSOTM was done on a MKI. I bought a MkI last week! heh

Frank

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search