The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 1084 Air Studios Edition
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

I'm still curious about this as well... I just bought another 1084 Reissue and I still see "Choice of "Standard" or "Air Studio" preamp modules" in the product listing but there isn't a choice to pic between the two. Is there a such thing as a modded "Air Studio" version of the 1084? Do they even have 1084's in their facility?

I suppose I could just call VK and ask them about it.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Ok,

So I spoke with Vintage King about the "air studio" version and apparently its a mod that used to be available that isn't anymore.

Now I'm really curious as to what those mods would have been. I guess the only way to find out is to email AMS.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Rash View Post
Ok,

So I spoke with Vintage King about the "air studio" version and apparently its a mod that used to be available that isn't anymore.

Now I'm really curious as to what those mods would have been. I guess the only way to find out is to email AMS.
Hi

I believe AIR studios had around 7 custom Neve consoles, several of which are on the photos pages of my web site.

That said, most of the early ones were adaptations of the 8028 console with the meters and 2254s configured in a different sequence.

But custom modules... that during an era I was head of the electrical drawing office and I don't recall custom 1084 modules made for AIR.

Custom modules that were not intended to be repeated were called Gold Label and had a large Gold Label on the rear panel with a number that relates to an entry in the Gold Label register. .. but this was for unique small mods and a studio like AIR would have had a suffix added to the type number.

So if anyone could add to this thread and let me know what these mods were... I'd love to know!

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy S4
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

I emailed Chris at AMS... I'll see what he says back I actually think one of my modules might have the mod because it sounds allot different than my other 1084 modules. Allot brighter with a "harder" type of sound. So I'm giving chris all my serial number on my 1084 modules

I have a feeling these were definitely post delivery. Probably something relatively new. Whatever the mod was, AMS doesn't offer it anymore.

When you think about it, I highly doubt it's a EQ mod. The EQ in the 1084 is pretty much maxed out with the space given, I don't really see room for improvement there unless AIR had certain frequencies they just had to have. To me I think it was a mod to the preamp.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I emailed Chris at AMS... I'll see what he says back I actually think one of my modules might have the mod because it sounds allot different than my other 1084 modules. Allot brighter with a "harder" type of sound. So I'm giving chris all my serial number on my 1084 modules

I have a feeling these were definitely post delivery. Probably something relatively new. Whatever the mod was, AMS doesn't offer it anymore.

When you think about it, I highly doubt it's a EQ mod. The EQ in the 1084 is pretty much maxed out with the space given, I don't really see room for improvement there unless AIR had certain frequencies they just had to have. To me I think it was a mod to the preamp.
Hi

Perhaps they read my tech tips page where I point out that standard 1073 family modules using a standard B284 buffer amp PCB all drop around 4dB at 20KHz when the EQ is selected because of over compensation on that PCB. Dropping the value of those capacitors revives the HF response....

Tech Tips | Aurora Audio

Old 21st March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

Perhaps they read my tech tips page where I point out that standard 1073 family modules using a standard B284 buffer amp PCB all drop around 4dB at 20KHz when the EQ is selected because of over compensation on that PCB. Dropping the value of those capacitors revives the HF response....

Tech Tips | Aurora Audio

Please build a GT4 500. Pleasssseeeeeeeeee :D
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
Please build a GT4 500. Pleasssseeeeeeeeee :D
Hi

All that electronics can't squeeze into 500 format size... sorry.

And 500 is not my favorite in any case... look at the posts to these forums on the topic of PSU capability. On one hand, you have the guys that designed the format producing the VPR specs so at least designers can make their units fit and not load down the power rails with excessive current draw... seems fair enough.

http://www.apiaudio.com/vpr_alliance.html

Then I see posters accusing them of being total ##### inferring they only do that to reduce competition.... my thought being that comment might be from competition... I don't know.

Then all the posts about rack power supplies dropping out of regulation because they are loaded with modules designed by folk that don't give a toss about loading providing their units sell like hot cakes.

So rack builders have to oversize their power supplies to accommodate units they had not anticipated be used on their racks... and users having issues with racks, not knowing whose fault it is but wish to God the blooming thing worked.

And this has not, thus far, mentioned modules with dc-dc converters (not required IMHO) that could radiate noise onto the dc busses or into neighbouring channels.

Is it something I want to dip my toe into?

Not really, but I have something new coming out this year that's a different line to what I normally do....

Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi

Tech Tips | Aurora Audio

Hey Geoff,

Yeah that would definitely explain the brighter thing. Chris at AMS wrote me back though and said none of the AIR mods ever left their factory so I don't have a AIR mod on any of my units.

But it's so weird because one of my 1084 unit's is magical and is just the best for vocals. It saturates differently and has a "harder" sound than any of my other modules. I wonder if something is wrong with it or the gaping is off in the core or something of the output transformer.

Chris didn't go into detail on what the mods were or if they were in the EQ or the Preamp but either way I'm still wondering what it is, the mystery continues!

I guess it's exclusive to AIR or something because there's nada about it anywhere on the net and AMS didn't give me any info on it
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

awsome!

Quote:
Hi
but I have something new coming out this year that's a different line to what I normally do....
Old 22nd March 2014
Quote:
Hi

All that electronics can't squeeze into 500 format size... sorry.

And 500 is not my favorite in any case... look at the posts to these forums on the topic of PSU capability. On one hand, you have the guys that designed the format producing the VPR specs so at least designers can make their units fit and not load down the power rails with excessive current draw... seems fair enough.

API Audio Products

Then I see posters accusing them of being total ##### inferring they only do that to reduce competition.... my thought being that comment might be from competition... I don't know.

Then all the posts about rack power supplies dropping out of regulation because they are loaded with modules designed by folk that don't give a toss about loading providing their units sell like hot cakes.

So rack builders have to oversize their power supplies to accommodate units they had not anticipated be used on their racks... and users having issues with racks, not knowing whose fault it is but wish to God the blooming thing worked.

And this has not, thus far, mentioned modules with dc-dc converters (not required IMHO) that could radiate noise onto the dc busses or into neighbouring channels.

Is it something I want to dip my toe into?

Not really, but I have something new coming out this year that's a different line to what I normally do....

Totally makes sense, can we compromise on a 2ch single space rack? I'll take it!

In all seriousness, I am very stoked for what's in store this year from you
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Geoff,

Yeah that would definitely explain the brighter thing. Chris at AMS wrote me back though and said none of the AIR mods ever left their factory so I don't have a AIR mod on any of my units.

But it's so weird because one of my 1084 unit's is magical and is just the best for vocals. It saturates differently and has a "harder" sound than any of my other modules. I wonder if something is wrong with it or the gaping is off in the core or something of the output transformer.

Chris didn't go into detail on what the mods were or if they were in the EQ or the Preamp but either way I'm still wondering what it is, the mystery continues!

I guess it's exclusive to AIR or something because there's nada about it anywhere on the net and AMS didn't give me any info on it
Hi

Personally i think it's smoke and mirrors which is why none left and no details are available.

Yours may have a broken connection to the zobel network on the output transformer... that's happened before and is one of Rupert's stories about AIR consoles....it would add sibilance to the signal (depending on the capacitance of the load and cable).

Old 3rd April 2016
Here for the gear

First NECAM moving fader Sytem

Quote:
Hi

This is A29... the first AIR console...

You can see the "family" resemblence!

This console was refurbished and fitted with the very first NECAM moving fader system AND ultraviolet reflective silk screening (didn't last long) which made the console appear to be illuminated via IR lamps in the ceiling - looked great! and that's me sitting at the console. It was installed in a refurbished AIR Studio #3 (Mixdown) room at 314 Oxford Circus which previously had been a Film Dubbing suite. I was Chief Engineer there at the time.
Old 3rd April 2016
Lives for gear

Ken McKim spent a year restoring the Neve Ait Monserrat console when Allaire Studios bought it in the early 2000's. I have a bunch of pictures of it all stripped down to the frame. All the modules out. All the volcanic ash soot all over everything. Roughly 1 mil into that console by the time all was said and done. Allaire had installed about 2 years before they decided to go private. The studio was gone within the next year without Mark at the helm.

The console was sold to a toy manufacturer in Canada about 5 years ago for half that price and she sits in storage unused right now as far as I know. Hopefully someday she be back up and running in a studio again.

I loved the remote control preamp concept of those consoles.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search