The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SDC mic for snare? Condenser Microphones
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

SDC mic for snare?

would love to hear peoples opinion about this. Recently I saw a video on youtube with Questlove (drummer of The Roots) doing a studio session. Besides two Coles 4038 and one U67/87 as OH/room I spotted a SDC mic close-micing the snare.
It just made me think about if I really have to use sm57 (or the likes) for snare when I always end up adding loads of high freq on the EQ...?
Why not use a super crisp and detailed SDC?
Neumann KM-XX, Schoeps, Gefell ??
Which SDC do you prefer on snare?
cons/pros are very welcome!
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Try it out and let us know how it sounds.

I once put five mics around a snare and then listened to the recording of each. The SM57 came in third place. A Beta 57 came in second place, and an Audix D1 came in first place. I never thought to try a SDC.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Sometimes I'll put a KSM137 on snare. It's go t a 25db pad, so it works pretty good. You have to get just the right spot though.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

An AKG C451 or C452 taped to an SM57 so that the capsules are as close as possible is a killer sound for a snare. It needs to be a C451 or a C452. The ony other SDC I have heard this done with and liked it was a KM184. Peace.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

I've been switching back and forth between a Neumann KM84 and a Josephson E22s. I like them both.
Old 5th September 2007
Jai guru deva om

I love the sE Electronics SE3 on snare, it delivers it quite well all the way around with body.

War
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I've seen a lavalier clipped to the side of the drum. That's an interesting sound.
I prefer the Beta58 or an Audix OM on snare. The good old 57 is to dull for my tastes.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I can't remember the model number, but a audio-technica clip on mic can do very good job on snare.
Tamas Dragon
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

In the '80s and early '90s we used to do the SDC taped to the 57 thing, as mentioned above. We used (and killed) Neumann KM84s, AKG 451, and Shure SM81. These days I'd use something like the Shure or an Audio Technica, cause using expensive Neumann and AKG mics that way was... well let's say we beat-up a few capsules.

PS: I LOVE the Josephson E22S for snare -- even without a dynamic. Incredible, and built to handle drums.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I tried a Josephson C42 on snare a few times with good results. I think there's a version with a 10 db pad built in that you may want to get for snare. Never tried the E22s though
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I tried a Sony C-55p today on snare and really liked it.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UgMiGqA6x...elated&search=

Here it is... the video clip with Questlove drumming...
I can't see what mic is used on the snare, but it looks like a SDC type...
Thanks for the replies!!!
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

An AKG 451 can do the job. I find SDC's to work well with a drummer who isn't belting the snare.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

it actually looks like the AKG 451 in the video clip...
is it important that it has a pad (-10/-20 db) to work well with such a loud source as a snare drum?? - the KM84 which I was thinking about buying hasn't got that.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

The km84 has a built in switchable -10 db pad. The old 451e or 451eb will accept a screw on -10 or -20 db pad that goes between the capsule and the mic body. You will need to pad these mics. I almost always use the -20 db pad with the 451, if it's going on the snare. They sound great.
Old 6th September 2007
I use an AKG 460 for the top of the snare and an earthworks SR77 for the side. I tried KM184's and didnt like it as much. dynamic wise I like Beyer 201's but I like the 460 a whole lot better
Old 18th August 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
Sometimes I'll put a KSM137 on snare. It's go t a 25db pad, so it works pretty good. You have to get just the right spot though.
2 year old thread but I didn't want to start a new one. I tried my KSM137 on snare drum the other day and vastly preferred it to my usual SM57 and also the SM7b. Sounded great.
Old 18th August 2009
Lives for gear

I've tried KM184 and akg C391 along with a SM57. Didn't like the result at all.

C414 gave me a great result (but I don't own any).

Herwig
Old 18th August 2009
Gear Maniac

I just used an Audio Technica ATM450 on snare during my last session. I really liked it, was very open and natural.

A nice change of pace from the standard "rock sound" of a 57.

mm
Old 18th August 2009
Gear Addict

Josephson C42 sounds great on snare. I'd probably go with the C42H (the one with the built in pad) if you record a lot of loud drummers. They're small, so it's easy to squeeze it in a tight kit and get good HH rejection.

Aside from snare, they rule on tons of other sources.

The Shure KSM141 sounds really nice on snare as well. Can certainly handle the SPL, and has the omni option.
Old 18th August 2009
Lives for gear

I have an MXL993 permanently taped to a 57 on a low profile tripod stand. The 993 has a permanent -10db pad on it and a low cut. My bottom snare mic is an sm7b. Pres on snare are SSL for the top and Focusrite on the bottom. Sounds fine and gives you plenty of signals to work with.
Old 19th August 2009
Gear Maniac

I never thought to use an SDC on snare, but I did a session at another studio a few months ago and the engineer there put a 57 on top and an MC-012 on bottom. I thought it was bizarre, but it sounded dang good. Also he put MK-219s on the toms, which I also thought was strange, but which also sounded good. And if it sounds good, it is good.

As for me, my Audix I5 goes on snare every time.
Old 22nd August 2009
Gear Guru

the only SDCs I currently own are the Pro 37 from audio-technica, and the previously mentioned KSM141

I really liked the KSM141 on my snare drum shootout, it seemed to have a lot more realism than some of the other mics I tested. I haven't tried it in a mix, yet, though, since it's usually set up as an overhead pair

the Pro 37 did not sound so great on my snare drum, but I really love these on toms!! (I have four). they sound balanced, and are tiny, cheap, and easy to place. I heard somewhere else that they might be good on a different snare drum (piccolo, someone said, I will have to try that). the N/D468 has similar attributes, but gets a bigger, thicker sound

my other go-to snare drum mics are the Audix i5, EV N/D468 (deep and thick), EV re18 (70s ish), TAB Funkenwerk modded SM57, and a Chinese counterfeit/fake SM57 (I was mad that I was scammed, then I tried it on snare, and, wow! bright and punchy)
Old 29th August 2009
Gear Nut

+1 ATM-450. flexible and nice, compact side-addressed design.
Old 29th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Hello.

A few good microphones are listed here, and some not so good ones. I use for Jazz percussion the easily obtainable/affordable/e-bay-able KM184. Has great tone, reliable (no vintage issues), easily repaired if it gets damaged, and reasonably quiet self noise.

Regards,
Old 29th August 2009
Gear Addict

The modern 451, despite being a lousy overhead (compared to the old one) is a great snare mic.
Old 29th August 2009
Lives for gear

SM 57 Tape with a AKG 451 work great............
Old 30th August 2009
Lives for gear

451 b and Beyer 201's here. One or the other works every time.

The 201 can be amazing under the snare as well.
Old 30th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshman View Post
I just used an Audio Technica ATM450 on snare during my last session. I really liked it, was very open and natural.

A nice change of pace from the standard "rock sound" of a 57.

mm

+1 ATM450
Old 30th August 2009
Km84, e22s and even oktava 219 all work very well. My current favourite is an e22s together with a beyer 201.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search