The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SDC mic for snare? Condenser Microphones
Old 30th August 2009
Lives for gear

I find the M201 to sound very similar to a 57, but with an extended freq range. Almost as if it were the condenser version of a 57. I've never really found an sdc I enjoy on snare but my blue mouse can do a great job from time to time.
Old 30th August 2009
Lives for gear

sdc & sm57 here, sometimes sdc top (schoeps or sennheiser), sm57 btm, sometimes other way around. Sometimes beyer m160 instead of sdc. Works great, learned it from the master heh
Old 31st August 2009
Gear Guru

I often like a sdc on snare. The 451 has been the go to over the years. KM84 can work awesome as well, but I hesitate to put them on the snare anymore unless I know the drummer REAL well. A surprisingly good mic in this shootout : Drum Mic Madness!!!! was the MXL 991 (604). Sounded very good. And no worries about the drummer smacking it.
Old 31st August 2009
Lives for gear

Given the huge risk that any snare mic is going to get whacked with a drumstick I'd try an under $50 MCA SP1 which is a SDC.
Old 31st August 2009
Lives for gear

451 B + sm 57 = detail/snap + body
Old 31st August 2009
I've used Altec M30 lipstick tube mics many times with great results. But the drummer needs to use his crayons within the lines. The thing about those great sounding SDC's are that they often don't sound so great when the hi-hat comes in off-axis, so you gotta experiment. I've done everything from obsessively moving the mic a few cm over and over looking for the sweet spot to building a hi-hat blocker around the mic. Mostly works fine. So does an SM57. My favorite dynamic snare mic is a senn 441 (*not* 421).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search