The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
building a studio,, have a question Condenser Microphones
Old 5th September 2007

building a studio,, have a question

getting ready to buy a building, How much sq feet would you think i need at the minimum. going to be recording full bands. I would like a control room and a live room with room off the side for piano, vocals, guitars. thanks....
Old 5th September 2007

I would want a shell with a minimum of 1200 sq ft (2000 would be nice) and minimum 12 ft ceiling heights. Preferably larger on both.

minimum: 300 control room, 400 main room, 100 iso, 200 storage, halls, bathroom, 200 inner walls, traps etc.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Few thousand sq/ft. at least 14ft. ceilings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
I would want a shell with a minimum of 1200 sq ft and minimum 12 ft ceiling heights.
That's pretty much exactly what my current space is, and it's a great little spot
Old 5th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
That's pretty much exactly what my current space is, and it's a great little spot
Yeah, me too....that's why I'd say it's a minimum.
Old 5th September 2007

dang, my ceiling are only about 9 feet..
Old 5th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWG_TRAIN View Post
dang, my ceiling are only about 9 feet..
Mine are actually only 10 feet, but it makes it tough to design a good sounding room with ceilings less than 12. Mine took a huge amount of work and are totally trapped to effectively "raise" them acoustically.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...needed-13.jpg:
Old 5th September 2007

nice pic rick, is that your control room window, do you have more pics, thanksthumbsup
Old 5th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWG_TRAIN View Post
nice pic rick, is that your control room window, do you have more pics, thanksthumbsup
Thanks, that is the control room window. I ran over to the studio to take a quick pic in response to some questions on another thread and I didn't think to turn on the CR light so it looks a bit odd. My studio is a working environment and (other than this one quick shot) looks pretty cluttered so I really don't have any other pictures that are worth sharing, sorry. Maybe someday I'll pick all the clutter up, get a wide angle lens and take some "glamour" shotsheh
Old 5th September 2007

OK, it doesn't take much to prompt me to take a few quick pics of the studio.

Looking out from iso booth across main room with drum booth on far side
Attached Thumbnails
building a studio,, have a question-img_iso-2.jpg  
Old 5th September 2007

Drum booth.
Drums are under blankets in this shot as we were recording dobro in here.
Attached Thumbnails
building a studio,, have a question-img_drum-booth.jpg  
Old 5th September 2007

Looking from drum booth across main room. Iso on other side.
Attached Thumbnails
building a studio,, have a question-img_across-room.jpg  
Old 5th September 2007

Control room. Can't see it well in this photo but the ceiling has the same blue fabric as the other rooms and ties the color scheme together. This photo shows about 1/3 the CR space. behind the outboard rack is the "machine room" with 2" tape machine, board's power supplies, Dolbys and Lexicon 224 and 960 computers etc.
Behind the photographer is a 10'x16' space that has keyboards, duplication equip and couch/access to back patio. The CR is too narrow, but that was a mistake that was made a long time ago when I had very little equipment. The machine room and back section have been added on over the years.
Attached Thumbnails
building a studio,, have a question-img_control-room.jpg  
Old 5th September 2007

Front wall (opposite control room) of main room.
Attached Thumbnails
building a studio,, have a question-img_piano.jpg  
Old 5th September 2007

wow, great pics rick, you used your space wisely, very nice, and you say its only 1200....
Old 5th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
I would want a shell with a minimum of 1200 sq ft (2000 would be nice) and minimum 12 ft ceiling heights. Preferably larger on both.

minimum: 300 control room, 400 main room, 100 iso, 200 storage, halls, bathroom, 200 inner walls, traps etc.
Don't forget the lounge! I tried to design a studio without a lounge, and after fighting e-v-e-r-y s-i-n-g-l-e s-t-e-p o-f t-h-e w-a-y, I finally capitulated and put in a 250 sq lounge (in an adjacent building). I have learned the hard way that a space to hang out (and not be too far away) while various folks are working their parts is a luxury like having an indoor bathroom is a luxury.

I would also suggest that as with most minimums, there's a huge amount of value in adjusting any of them upward even a little bit. None of the above numbers are anywhere near the law of diminishing returns.
Old 5th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Don't forget the lounge! .
Totally agree.
The back of my control room is quite large and has a couch. Also, we have really great weather here and there is a door in the back CR wall that goes out to a patio. That's where most of the smokin' and talkin' and cell phonin' gets done.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

The lounge at my studio was an absolute must-have! Even though it's a pretty small 10x10 room, it functions well, and in the lounge there's a loft up above for misc. storage.

Oh yeah....don't forget some type of storage space for your own stuff, plus it's real nice to have a place for all those empty guitar cases, drum cases, backpacks, etc. after a band loads in.
Old 17th September 2009

Bump for MMski
Old 17th September 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Don't forget the lounge! I tried to design a studio without a lounge, and after fighting e-v-e-r-y s-i-n-g-l-e s-t-e-p o-f t-h-e w-a-y, I finally capitulated and put in a 250 sq lounge (in an adjacent building). I have learned the hard way that a space to hang out (and not be too far away) while various folks are working their parts is a luxury like having an indoor bathroom is a luxury.

I would also suggest that as with most minimums, there's a huge amount of value in adjusting any of them upward even a little bit. None of the above numbers are anywhere near the law of diminishing returns.
Update: my lounge is now 300 sq ft. It was increased before we started actually building the building, so very cheap to do...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search