The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Chandler Mixer... Picture! Warning... NOT shipping or taking orders yet... :) Consoles
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
My big question is who is the intended user? The OTB guy that reqires a full featured console? Or the ITB guy that needs an elegant solution to tie the digital and analog realms together? Depending on the answer to that question, the feature set required is a little different.

I'm an ITB guy and all my cue mixes are handled via a software/DSP mixer (MOTU Cue Mix) and a HearBack system. I'm guessing a lot of us have similar setups. I personally have no use for features that facilitate tape return monitoring or cue mix creation. And I probably could do without auxes as well since I don't have any outboard gear that I use in a send/return configuration. I do all my verbs and delay ITB. So for my own personal uses I would just need some busses. However, features like DAW control/follow would be a godsend, although probably expensive.

What also would be really cool is if there was a 3RU slot in the frame (maybe off to the side) for popping in an API 500 rack like the Brent Averill 11-space. It still would fit the 19" format, but would just require three slots.

Brad

I'd like to see some pics of underside. How does everything wire up?
I work pretty much the same way except I break out to a desk at the end. I do all FX ITB and use the desk for the GERM MAX on each channel and the Busses. I use the 2 sends on the proto as extra busses for sub-mixes as well.
I have had many people ask for sends and features that are less DAW driven. Probably will end up having some of each on it.

I would really like the DAW follow thing but Im worried about the cost that it will add. Still need to keep looking into it....Anyone know a company making DAW Faders as a products?
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryschien View Post
Hey dude,

I sent your vocal track through the Germanium Compressor and got this:

"ABBEY ROAD

YOU ARE FEELING VERY SLEEPY...

LISTEN TO MY VOICE

YOU WILL GIVE WADE CLEARANCE TO RELEASE THESE ZENERBENDER CHANNELS

THANK YOU"

Your vocal track is more focused now. Amazing compressors. thumbsup
Arys you rock so hard!!!!!!!!!
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I just had this vision, like a scene from a movie (could well be entitled "Wade's World") with all the Gearslutz on their knees and chanting "we're not worthy, we're not worthy!"
Dreams are good. They keep you going.
Thank you Wade!
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
I just had this vision, like a scene from a movie (could well be entitled "Wade's World") with all the Gearslutz on their knees and chanting "we're not worthy, we're not worthy!"
Dreams are good. They keep you going.
Thank you Wade!
Thanks Andy! Im getting a little tear :-)
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
I just had this vision, like a scene from a movie (could well be entitled "Wade's World") with all the Gearslutz on their knees
I think there's already a movie like that called "Wads World".
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
The beauty of this console as I understand it... is that you only have to buy what you need. If you don't need sends and monitoring... don't buy it. It's going to be a seperate module.
That would be awesome. The whole idea is very clever and could spawn some interesting new 19" 1RU from other vendors intending for you to insert them into a console like this. Hell--I might just design a bunch of my own pre/EQ or compressor/EQ modules if I bought into a console like this.

This whole idea could be done with the 500 format as well. Instead of 19" racks just have 500 slots. Who's going to pick up the concept and run with it first?

Brad
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade goeke View Post
I work pretty much the same way except I break out to a desk at the end. I do all FX ITB and use the desk for the GERM MAX on each channel and the Busses. I use the 2 sends on the proto as extra busses for sub-mixes as well.
I have had many people ask for sends and features that are less DAW driven. Probably will end up having some of each on it.

I would really like the DAW follow thing but Im worried about the cost that it will add. Still need to keep looking into it....Anyone know a company making DAW Faders as a products?
Thanks for the response, Wade. If you can figure out the DAW integration thing then you will really be onto something. Why not get in touch with the guys at Mackie and find out what they are using in their MCU? There's got to be something available that would fit the bill for a reasonable price. Or maybe call up Penny and Giles and see if someone there knows of something.

Brad
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
This whole idea could be done with the 500 format as well. Instead of 19" racks just have 500 slots. Who's going to pick up the concept and run with it first?
Rupert Neve Desingns are mentioned as "pending" VPR Alliance members, and I think it wouldn't be too tough to adapt the 5088 console design to the 500 format.

OTOH, Purple Audio also have experience with console design an have a 500 module ("Biz"), but they're not in the VPR club, so...
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

I must say there are some interesting new products from a lot of manufacturers, seems like a lot of competition...

I love the VU meters halfway the channel!
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Wade--here's an idea. Why don't you introduce a simple rack for two 500 modules so that people can drop 500 format stuff into your console? Think of it as a 500 adapter. I know there are other companies making similar products like this:

http://www.adesignsaudio.com/images/500hrside.jpg

However you probably could get away with a more simplified/open chassis since it will be installed in the console. You could have a special power input that gets powered from the main console power supply. Something similar to what you do with some of your other units that run off of common outboard power supply. So basically the console power supply has a break out for an optional power harness that could power one or more of these 500 adapters.

Brad
Old 6th September 2007
Quote:
Anyone know a company making DAW Faders as a products?
tonelux...

you'd probably only really need a bank of 8 faders.

here's a suggestion for the solo buss..

include a knob to bring up the rest of the mix.. from full solo to full mix.. this way you can set how much "boost" the solo gives.. it'll end up being one of the most addictive features on the desk.. like an amek 9098.

please please please do this.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wade--here's an idea. Why don't you introduce a simple rack for two 500 modules so that people can drop 500 format stuff into your console? Think of it as a 500 adapter. I know there are other companies making similar products like this:

http://www.adesignsaudio.com/images/500hrside.jpg

However you probably could get away with a more simplified/open chassis since it will be installed in the console. You could have a special power input that gets powered from the main console power supply. Something similar to what you do with some of your other units that run off of common outboard power supply. So basically the console power supply has a break out for an optional power harness that could power one or more of these 500 adapters.
Brad
We have been testing 500 modules in the console with the Avedis R52. Works like a charm. For me it would be coolest to have a three slot so you could have pre/eq/comp. For me that has been the most addicting part of the new console. Having the GERM Pre, Comp , and EQ on each channel and buss. The wet/dry on individual channels has been great and the sub-mixes on the full buss channels are cool.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413 View Post
tonelux...

you'd probably only really need a bank of 8 faders.

here's a suggestion for the solo buss..

include a knob to bring up the rest of the mix.. from full solo to full mix.. this way you can set how much "boost" the solo gives.. it'll end up being one of the most addictive features on the desk.. like an amek 9098.

please please please do this.
Thats a cool idea. I did not know the 9098 did that....

I wonder......
Old 6th September 2007
TRW
Lives for gear

Yeah that would be Solo in Front - its on an Audient ASP as well. Basically like a cross-fader between solo and main busses to the monitor outputs, its cool!!

-T
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW View Post
Yeah that would be Solo in Front - its on an Audient ASP as well. Basically like a cross-fader between solo and main busses to the monitor outputs, its cool!!

-T
Yeah I really need to check that out!
So its essentially like a wet/dry mix for the solo.
Nice.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
F U C K ME!!!

Unless you're as good looking as that mixer--I'll pass..........
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

-T
My TT M4000 has this, too. Great feature.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the response, Wade. If you can figure out the DAW integration thing then you will really be onto something. Why not get in touch with the guys at Mackie and find out what they are using in their MCU? There's got to be something available that would fit the bill for a reasonable price. Or maybe call up Penny and Giles and see if someone there knows of something.

Brad

Or just do what Behringer does. Take it apart, figure it out, steal the design.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
try frontier designs. they've done a fair bit of oem work for tascam and others on control surfaces. PM me if you'd like me to put in a word for you.

as a dealer of your products I'd like to thank you for preselling a crapload of stuff for us again! you're a freakin' genius!

see you at aes................
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

You know that's an excellent idea. The Frontier guys are pretty cool and really good with the DAW control stuff. I noticed they designed that new Tascam firewire interface with the big jog wheel. They would certainly entertain any reasonable idea.

Brad
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
We have been testing 500 modules in the console with the Avedis R52. Works like a charm. For me it would be coolest to have a three slot so you could have pre/eq/comp. For me that has been the most addicting part of the new console. Having the GERM Pre, Comp , and EQ on each channel and buss. The wet/dry on individual channels has been great and the sub-mixes on the full buss channels are cool.
Yeah...but my suggestion is to make a Chandler 500 rack that is powered off the console power supply. If you can squeeze three slots in there that would be great. I think it's probably possible without having a power supply inside the rack. That would drive the cost down a lot. Who wants to pay a $350 tax for running two 500 modules in your console? Not me.

Brad
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

WOW I'm late to the party
Wade the mixer's sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AA.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkshort View Post
try frontier designs. they've done a fair bit of oem work for tascam and others on control surfaces. PM me if you'd like me to put in a word for you.

as a dealer of your products I'd like to thank you for preselling a crapload of stuff for us again! you're a freakin' genius!

see you at aes................
Yeah I would be interested in what they could do. Would be cool if you mentioned it!
...and no problem :-)
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah...but my suggestion is to make a Chandler 500 rack that is powered off the console power supply. If you can squeeze three slots in there that would be great. I think it's probably possible without having a power supply inside the rack. That would drive the cost down a lot. Who wants to pay a $350 tax for running two 500 modules in your console? Not me.

Brad
Got ya. Ill have to see what we can do!!!
Plenty of work just to get our own modules ready but Im feelin' ya
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle of Weight View Post
WOW I'm late to the party
Wade the mixer's sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AA.
I was wonderin where you were :-)
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shangoe View Post
maybe i am alone with that, but i dont like the look of the faders. and what i absolutly hate is blue LEDs, it looks so cheesy like a 30$ stereo boom box...

...but the rest looks absolutly great,the retro look just dont fit with blue LEDs ,sorry...

...but it will sound great for sure!!
the 70's are back in man
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Oh My Root!!!!!
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

So I know this thing is still a ways off from hitting the street, but someone has got to ask this....

Are we talking more or less than $15k for the basic bucket system, which I'm assuming to be the frame, the meters, the faders, the bus modules, and the master section?

Brad
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Oh my. Have just seen this thread for the first time. And I think I just wet my pants a little. Just a little. But had to share.

Oh my.

(Yes, it's now my desktop picture too).
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Brad
Excepting the powersupply and price, when Atlas announced the little horizontal 500 chassis that Buzz designed the first thing I thought was "Oh, 6 correctly oriented slots in 2ru for the upcoming Chandler console."

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search