The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Chandler Mixer... Picture! Warning... NOT shipping or taking orders yet... :) Consoles
Old 14th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post
Sweet!thumbsup That thing is going to be awesome. If you can get the price right count me in for 32 channels.
Well - for us low enders that want 16 channels only- can it be extended by modular extensions of 16 channels for those who want 32 or 48 channels?

Not fussed about pres myself- rather that expenditure put into sonics and summing etc

This has got my attention- was looking at X desk ( but I would have needed 2 to track 12 tracks for drums etc ) but now I think I will wait and see what this ends up like. I like Wades approach -using boat anchors to source all his trafos!!!

GJ
Newcastle/Oz
Old 14th July 2009
Lives for gear

i am also of the opinion that it should have more sends, as a major priority.

preamps? no, or optional in some way.

i'm very, very interested in this.
Old 14th July 2009
Lives for gear

holy mother of god, get me some kleenex. Chandler is my favourite sounding hardware ever, this would make my life. I bet the summing sounds off the hook. Oh my god, chandler eq on every channel, this is obscene. Sod neve
Old 14th July 2009
Lives for gear

All this is very interesting to hear! I would never have thought guys would be more interested in sends than busses. Thats why we have GS I guess :-)

The "super mini" will be expandable like the mini is. Standard would be 16 but you will be able to go to at least 32 and I hope to get it to 48. I think the 8 buss approach comes from here. I would probably use 32 myself and have 4 submixes and a single send to my EMT 240. I think Im just stuck in my own world on this, but I would really want to be able to do those submixes with hardware....

Any more opinions on the buss/send would be great. Im sure its the most important part to most of us!

On the preamp/eq front. It wont have these, just like the mini, but I will have the "mini channel" and the Germ channel in addition to our other stuff that can be easily put together with it.

Thanks for your thoughts guys!
Old 14th July 2009
Lo-cut.. please if you do something with EQ, install a lowcut filter!

DI like on the germanium, and please provide enough headroom on the 2 bus and busses.

avoid pseudo summing (SSL matrix) and do not install something with electronics that is trying to make a recall or needs drivers

if it feels better then a 1608 you are in for the game.

I would avoid 500-stuff as it mostly leads to problems (wrong module at the wrong position ****s up sound or leads to electronical failure).

please make readable signs on the mixingdesks. I don't want to be a dick, but studios are mostly dark and people don't want to use lenses to see what they are dialing in.

metering should be switchable between G, RMS and peak if possible.

my wishlist goes on and on.. and I think I can't afford it right now.. so.

preamps optional.
Old 14th July 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade goeke View Post
The "super mini" will be expandable like the mini is. Standard would be 16 but you will be able to go to at least 32 and I hope to get it to 48. I think the 8 buss approach comes from here. I would probably use 32 myself and have 4 submixes and a single send to my EMT 240. I think Im just stuck in my own world on this, but I would really want to be able to do those submixes with hardware....

Any more opinions on the buss/send would be great. Im sure its the most important part to most of us!
if it's expandable, the 8 busses makes sense. fwiw i'm from the more sends camp too... i know it's alot to fit in a small package, so don't forget about the 'not so mini' mixer Wade... my fantasy for the 'not so mini' mixer:

1) 8 sends (maybe 2 stereo and 4 mono, or whatever config, so long as there are 8, or at least 6), maybe a send or two also routable to busses... pre/post fader capability.

2) direct outs p/channel

3) possibly a detented pot option for recalls, though one could always park the sends at one spot and do the automation or gain moves ITB, keeping FX as inserts ITB... that's probably what i would do.

4) maybe a stereo channel option!

5) in the not so mini mixer, maybe a 16 bus option? if this were possible, less than 8 sends might be OK. of course 8 sends + 16 busses would be great.

6) optional fader automation (... a la Tonelux).

7) 2 inserts p/channel! one insert switchable 'pre' or 'post' the other... this way you could have say a comp and an EQ in the chain, and come mix time decide what order you'd like them in without having to repatch.

8) expandable to at least 32 channels.

all this would put it in another price bracket, but i think it might be a great solution for those who have DAW controllers + outboard gear.
Old 14th July 2009
TRW
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
avoid pseudo summing (SSL matrix)
What is psuedo summing george?

-T
Old 14th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
if it's expandable, the 8 busses makes sense. fwiw i'm from the more sends camp too... i know it's alot to fit in a small package, so don't forget about the 'not so mini' mixer Wade... my fantasy for the 'not so mini' mixer:

1) 8 sends (maybe 2 stereo and 4 mono, or whatever config, so long as there are 8, or at least 6), maybe a send or two also routable to busses... pre/post fader capability.

2) direct outs p/channel

3) possibly a detented pot option for recalls, though one could always park the sends at one spot and do the automation or gain moves ITB, keeping FX as inserts ITB... that's probably what i would do.

4) maybe a stereo channel option!

5) in the not so mini mixer, maybe a 16 bus option?

6) optional fader automation (... a la Tonelux).

7) 2 inserts p/channel! one insert switchable 'pre' or 'post' the other... this way you could have say a comp and an EQ in the chain, and come mix time decide what order you'd like them in without having to repatch.

8) expandable to at least 32 channels.

i know these features would put it in another price bracket, but i think this might be a great addition for those who have DAW controllers + outboard gear.

RAAL, You're trying to kill me man!
:-)
Old 14th July 2009
wow.

Think the faders are a little distracting though.
Old 14th July 2009
Lives for gear

This thread started in 2007. I know you can't let us know when the mixer will be released, but is there a good possibility we might see something at the AES show this fall?
Old 14th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
This thread started in 2007. I know you can't let us know when the mixer will be released, but is there a good possibility we might see something at the AES show this fall?
This thing has a life of its own :-) The way things have gone it looks like we are doing a "super mini mixer" and doing a wait and see on the big crazy thing...

Im not sure if a "super" will be ready for AES. Best guess is no.
Maybe a NAMM thing. Once it gets cold here there is NOTHING else to do but work!
Old 14th July 2009
Dan
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
I'd give my firstborn if they could make it affordable.
ha ha.

There's a few tricks out there already that I think would work very well for something like this. One being 1-24/25-48 style button used for busses on larger consoles, and the other button giving the ability to use busses as auxes. If something like that is implemented the same 8 buttons, and 2 knobs could give a limited style 12 bus/12 aux facility. While this is quite different from actually having all of those components individually, it would widen the market by giving more people what they want.
The big limitation is the lack of ability to make multiple mixes with this kind of design, but I guess I think of it as expanded ability to the given package, rather than the shortfall to the ideal. I think some are looking for the ability to make 2 headphone mixes, and send to outboard gear. (Ok include me in that) This doesn't support that.

I'm just kind of thinking on pixels here, it's not a fully developed idea.
Old 14th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
ha ha.

There's a few tricks out there already that I think would work very well for something like this. One being 1-24/25-48 style button used for busses on larger consoles, and the other button giving the ability to use busses as auxes. If something like that is implemented the same 8 buttons, and 2 knobs could give a limited style 12 bus/12 aux facility. While this is quite different from actually having all of those components individually, it would widen the market by giving more people what they want.
The big limitation is the lack of ability to make multiple mixes with this kind of design, but I guess I think of it as expanded ability to the given package, rather than the shortfall to the ideal. I think some are looking for the ability to make 2 headphone mixes, and send to outboard gear. (Ok include me in that) This doesn't support that.

I'm just kind of thinking on pixels here, it's not a fully developed idea.
Im with you. Seems like a 4 buss/4 send thing would please people more. Ill have to look into the switching idea, but for each pair of busses I need to use one full mixer card. 12 and 12 would use 12 cards and fill up one entire frame :-(
I really like the concept though, Ill have to see if it can work in any way....
Cheers
Old 14th July 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
RAAL, You're trying to kill me man!
:-)
i did say it was my fantasy list bro... heh

but anything is possible in the twilight zone - specially when it starts getting cold.
Old 14th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
i did say it was my fantasy list bro... heh

but anything is possible in the twilight zone - specially when it starts getting cold.
Thats easy for you to say. You're always warm and have good margaritas :-)

See you at AES?
Old 14th July 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thats easy for you to say. You're always warm and have good margaritas :-)

See you at AES?
God willing. it'll be nice to catch up bro.
Old 14th July 2009
Lives for gear

i hear ya on the 8 buss thing, for 4 stereo submixes.

is there any chance of fitting in those 8 busses and more sends? 2 sends, ah, it's just too few.

even 4 would be so much better.

4 mono and 2 stereo would be ideal... but hey, i know this is supposed to be a super mini mixer!

btw, i have a pending hard-on for the mini TG channel and the super Tg channel!
Old 14th July 2009
Dan
Lives for gear

Quote:
Im with you. Seems like a 4 buss/4 send thing would please people more. Ill have to look into the switching idea, but for each pair of busses I need to use one full mixer card. 12 and 12 would use 12 cards and fill up one entire frame :-(
I really like the concept though, Ill have to see if it can work in any way....
Cheers
Yeah, I was thinking that would be too many summing and/or output amps. It becomes not so practical when dealing with discrete components. That's too many parts not getting utilized efficiently.
Old 14th July 2009
Lives for gear

Ill do some experimenting. Things some times become much more obvious as you move them around.
I think we can find a pretty good middle ground, Im glad you guys have helped me take a look at these options.
Thanks!
Old 14th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
All this is very interesting to hear! I would never have thought guys would be more interested in sends than busses. Thats why we have GS I guess :-)
Yes definitely more sends. Much more useful!
Old 14th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
Yes definitely more sends. Much more useful!
With dedicated returns
Old 15th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie View Post
i hear ya on the 8 buss thing, for 4 stereo submixes.

is there any chance of fitting in those 8 busses and more sends? 2 sends, ah, it's just too few.

even 4 would be so much better.

4 mono and 2 stereo would be ideal...

+1!
Old 15th July 2009
Gear Head

hey wade,
i don't know how modular you're planning on going with this thing, but how about providing an expansion unit for the base model which would provide additional buses for each channel? aurora is planning on doing this with their mixer (a 1 rack unit expansion which provides 8 additional buses per channel). it would leave more space to devote to auxes and other features, while allowing the buyer to customize according to his needs.
Old 15th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeninety View Post
hey wade,
i don't know how modular you're planning on going with this thing, but how about providing an expansion unit for the base model which would provide additional buses for each channel? aurora is planning on doing this with their mixer (a 1 rack unit expansion which provides 8 additional buses per channel). it would leave more space to devote to auxes and other features, while allowing the buyer to customize according to his needs.
That something I would have to think about. It is modular like the MINI but Its pretty far from where I was taking the thing......?
Old 15th July 2009
Gear Addict

Put me in the more sends camp as well.
Old 15th July 2009
Lives for gear

And a remote fader option!
Old 15th July 2009
Lives for gear

and a minibar!
Old 15th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie View Post
and a minibar!
We have a winner! heh
Old 16th July 2009
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
We have a winner! heh
hehheh
Old 16th July 2009
Lives for gear

One minibar added to the list!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search