The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Wunder cm7 gt not cutting though Condenser Microphones
Old 4th September 2007
Wunder cm7 gt not cutting though

I just got the cm7 gt and i like it but it does not cut though like the studio projects c1. And that bothers me And thinking of sending it back. What do you think?
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

This isn't all that surprising. There's a thread where the Wunder is compared to the Peluso 2247 LE in the same mix on the same voice, and while the Wunder has a great tone, the Peluso is a tad brighter. To me the Wunder fit that mix better, but for a rock mix I would choose the Peluso.

Both are great mics, just a little different sound (which is funny since they are both imitating the same mic).
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

A BIG sounding mic like a 47 doesn't lend itself well to cutting through a dense mix without some EQ'ing. At that point, after EQ'ing, a lot of the 47-ness will be lost anyway. So, as others will probably say: "The CM7 was probably just not a fit for that song".

The detail of the CM7 is hard to beat though
Old 5th September 2007
Here for the gear

i just got my wnder cm7gt (m7 capsule) and i absoutely love it. (thanks nathan @ atlas pro audio!!) i didn't buy it to cut through a mix however. I bought it for it's smoothness and bigness and detail and it's truly gorgeous sound. it's the sound i've always been looking for. i have so many bright mics it's truly a pleasure to finally have a mic that is smooth and round and fat and if you want, will take tons of eq without any trouble. to me it seems that bright mics are a dime a dozen. it's much more difficult to find a mic that has the characteristics and depth that the wunder has. i love mine and it's one of those pieces of gear that i will own for life.

also, what pre are you running it through? i've got mine running through a great river and think it's a great match for what i do....
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Mic placement is also a big factor with the CM7, the closer you sing into the mic the more low end you will hear because of the proximity effect.

If your finding vocals arn't sitting with the rest of the track because it doesn't sound bright enough than its worth trying to back off the mic a little, this should hopefully get you closer to the sound your looking for.

Old 5th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattzen View Post
i just got my wnder cm7gt (m7 capsule) and i absoutely love it. (thanks nathan @ atlas pro audio!!) i didn't buy it to cut through a mix however. I bought it for it's smoothness and bigness and detail and it's truly gorgeous sound. i have so many bright mics it's truly a pleasure to finally have a mic that is smooth and round and fat and if you want, will take tons of eq without any trouble.
thumbsupthumbsup
Like Mattzen said, the CM7-GT with M7 capsule is for smooth thick vocals. If you want it to 'cut', it's an easy decision, get the CM7-GT with the K47 capsule. I'm sure your dealer would be happy to exchange your M7 version for the K47 version of the GT. It's more than a few db up in the high frequencies compared to the M7 capsule version. Both are great, and it's especially nice to have the choice (but it seems there is quite a bit of confusion still about the way the two different capsules sound).
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

FYI...All Wunder Mics Go up Tomorrow! CM7 - up $1K, CM7-GT up $700...Buy one now..
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

12-16k +4-8db on a pultec EQ. Boost till it cuts. Hard to do with plugins...tend to sound plasticky, but the cm7 does a good job with handling large amounts of high end boost. Much like ribbons.
Old 5th September 2007
AB3
Lives for gear

I have the Wunder CM7 with the M7 capsule. There is no problem getting the vocals to cut through the mix. As said above, mic positioning is important.
I had a professional opera type singer who does not like to sing close to the mic. he was at least a foot away from it. Yet the mic picked up his voice perfectly. It was smooth, rich enough but also had a perfect high frequency range IMHO. Not dark and not bright. Just right.

If you want a hyped high end, this is not the mic for you. If you want a natural high end, it is great. If you want rich and thick and proximity effect, it is also great.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear
I had one with the M7 capsule - thought it was two dimensional and a bit heavy in the mids...just didn't have any air at all. I now have the k47 and I love it. Definitely has more air and doesn't have the forward 200-500 that the M7 had. I'm beginning to wunder if there was something wrong with the first one I had. I tried out a CM7 and it sounded much closer to the k47 I have. The M7 GT was pronounced in the places I didn't want it to be. I say send it back for the k47...
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post

If you want a hyped high end, this is not the mic for you. If you want a natural high end, it is great. If you want rich and thick and proximity effect, it is also great.
That really wasn't my experience with it...I thought it had a really rolled off high end...not really natural like the k47 I have now and the CM7 I tried out...
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Sorry to get off subject, but i just received a neumann tlm49 and was really surprise how good it sounded. Its like the solid state version with the k47 capsule..
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
That really wasn't my experience with it...I thought it had a really rolled off high end...not really natural like the k47 I have now and the CM7 I tried out...
John, please say more. You're one of the very few out there that's heard all three (CM7, CM7-GT / M7, CM7-GT / K47).

Thanks,
Old 5th September 2007
AB3
Lives for gear

My CM7 with the M7 and your GT that had the C7 appear to be very different. That can happen.

Quote:
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Sounds like the capsule was f*cked up..
rolled off hi's is the last thing you should hear on that setup.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spektor View Post
I just got the cm7 gt and i like it but it does not cut though like the studio projects c1. And that bothers me And thinking of sending it back. What do you think?
I notice some guys are alarmed when they use a nice quality large diaphram mic and compare it to the cheaper chinese bright stuff.
I had a guy who insisted we use an /SE Z5600 over a nice klause H u67 because it[SE] sounded "brighter/.better" to him.
I refused.telling him to be patient and live with the neumann for a few songs.
now the stuff is mixed he thanks me.he finally got it.

Not every mic is right on every song/singer..lot of times i'll bail on the 47 and go to a 67 or C-12..or even a cheap smaller dynamic--57,use an EQ,etc..
whatever works.no magic bullet,etc.
Old 5th September 2007
By the way im using a great river pre i have to say love the way it looks. Ill try singing in to it again. farther away. Just the c1 sounded great on my voice

but i wanted a more smoother hi end.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
the c1 sounded great on my voice

but i wanted a smoother hi end.
You might like a 67 or a 269
Old 5th September 2007
sending back gt it seems very dark to me with the great river.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Which begs the question, could it be that the CM7-GT is simply a better match with the K47 (vs the CM7 with the M7)? Or is it that the lower price point brings it into reach for those of us who are used to less expensive (and therefore almost invariably bright) mic's, so a U47-ish mic sounds odd to us?

I read a Klaus Heyne description of the attributes of a U47. To paraphrase one of the things he said, is if there's any mismatch or tip in the balance of components, a U47 loses its magic. Maybe that's also true of the modern clones, such as the CM7. Even though the CM7-GT tries to remain as close as fiscally possible to the CM7, something is different enough that makes the K47 have the magic, but not the M7 in that mic.

But, this may all be bullsh*t, as it's purely conjecture on my part.

I wanna hear more samples .
Old 5th September 2007
i would not know just it just does not sound how i would like with my voice maby the diffrent capsule will make me see it diffrent.
Old 5th September 2007
I know this is gear slutz but it seems the c1 is not better but easyer casue it works with my voice, MAby if i change the capsule then that would be diffrent.
Old 5th September 2007
maby a brighter tube would help me just with the great river it is just a very dark mic. for my voice
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
John, I don't think there is anything wrong with your old mic :P

My limited usage suggests its just non-hyped, and ready to accept eq if desired. For me this just makes it work better on a larger variety of singers..

For instance my wife in this clip, for this particular song, i probably wouldn't add any top. it sounds close and intimate. In a brighter song, maybe more upbeat and full of sound, i certainly would.

http://www.redballoon.ca/audio/Push%...gh%20take).mp3

I don't like hype, but i guess its all perspective, and we all have a different one. I'm glad you're loving the K47

Russell
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear
Yeah - probably nothing wrong with it, it was just more rolloff than I wanted...It sounds good on your wife...
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

every voice is different right
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Lakeshore, how was she postioned vis a vis the mic?

From your experience with other mic's what would you compare this mic to? Any others it comes close to sounding like?

Thanks,
Old 5th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
FYI...All Wunder Mics Go up Tomorrow! CM7 - up $1K, CM7-GT up $700...Buy one now..

Just to clarify for everyone, the MAP/street prices have only gone up $500 on the regular CM7, and $300 on the CM7-GT's. This is as of Sept 5th.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:

Hello spektor, Is your cm 7 gt using a u48, k47 capsule m7 or 87 capsule?
What tube are you using is it a dark tube in sound?

cheers
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear
Oh no, here we go...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search