The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Wunder cm7 gt not cutting though Condenser Microphones
Old 6th September 2007
  #31
m7 tube
Old 6th September 2007
  #32
Lives for gear
 
lakeshorephatty's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderM69 View Post
Lakeshore, how was she postioned vis a vis the mic?

From your experience with other mic's what would you compare this mic to? Any others it comes close to sounding like?

Thanks,
I did a comparison to a blue bottle my friend has which you can find if you look up cm7-gt and blue bottle.

That was my main high end reference mic beforehand as the GT is my own personal first high end LDC

For that reason it doesn't compare to anything i've owned or used since most of the mics I own are sub 1500 and this is in another class.

As i indicated in the other thread, I prefer the mic slightly over the blue bottle with B6 but its spitting distance between them.

The distance on that take was about 12-13 inches and my wife tends to pull back in the louder sections another 6 inches or so.. there is no compression on this take.

I'm not sure what pre this was.. i have a feeling the pacifica, but it could have been a tg channel or germanium.. i know i know, very different!

Russell
Old 6th September 2007
  #33
Gear Addict
 
SpiderM69's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshorephatty View Post
I did a comparison to a blue bottle my friend has which you can find if you look up cm7-gt and blue bottle.

That was my main high end reference mic beforehand as the GT is my own personal first high end LDC

For that reason it doesn't compare to anything i've owned or used since most of the mics I own are sub 1500 and this is in another class.

As i indicated in the other thread, I prefer the mic slightly over the blue bottle with B6 but its spitting distance between them.

The distance on that take was about 12-13 inches and my wife tends to pull back in the louder sections another 6 inches or so.. there is no compression on this take.

I'm not sure what pre this was.. i have a feeling the pacifica, but it could have been a tg channel or germanium.. i know i know, very different!

Russell
Duh, I now remember reading that thread...

Thanks for the info on mic distance with your wife, as well. Sounds like you're a fan of the GT?
Old 6th September 2007
  #34
Lives for gear
Good Lord...13 inches away from the mic? I'm never more than 6-7 inches away...
Old 6th September 2007
  #35
Lives for gear
 
soupking's Avatar
 

If you're not happy with it, don't use it.

It's your music.

I had a Peluso 2247 LE, it sounded great, but it did NOT have a Telefunken EF14 tube it like advertised. I naturally complained and got a history story, apology, and an offer to switch the Valvo EF12 to an Telefunken EF14 AFTER I spent the $1600 at...

Anyway, the point is it was a great sounding mic but the whole buying experience killed my buzz to use it (so I sold it). I've met David Bock personally and decided to buy a Soundelux e47c. The guy's honest and obsessed with sound. It's awesome.

You can find a used e47 for like $2000. I used leave my e47c in the box experimenting with other small mics afraid of my small room. Now I use it for everything.

Peace,
-m
Old 6th September 2007
  #36
Lives for gear
 
lakeshorephatty's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderM69 View Post
Duh, I now remember reading that thread...

Thanks for the info on mic distance with your wife, as well. Sounds like you're a fan of the GT?
Yes i'm definitely enjoying it.

I find every mic i have is useful, this will just be exceptionally so in a lot of areas. Its very versatile. I find its more about learning the mic so that you can decide where best to use it, and this one can be used almost anywhere.

Russell
Old 6th September 2007
  #37
Registered User
 

Wow and increase of $1000 on the CM7

I'm so glad I got my order in last week with Soundtools here in the UK at the old price - ouch the difference would of meant I couldn't afford to get the CM7.

Just goes to show it's best not to delay - when your going for boutique kit.

Trebor
Old 7th September 2007
  #38
Lives for gear
 
HudHudson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kinsey View Post
Mic placement is also a big factor with the CM7, the closer you sing into the mic the more low end you will hear because of the proximity effect.

If your finding vocals arn't sitting with the rest of the track because it doesn't sound bright enough than its worth trying to back off the mic a little, this should hopefully get you closer to the sound your looking for.

Actually, according to Mike Castoro, the additional fatness comes from saturation of the transformer. Any cardioid-pattern mic will have proximity effect, but the CM7 has even more robust low end when the singer eats the mic.
Old 7th September 2007
  #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor Flow View Post
Wow and increase of $1000 on the CM7
The street/MAP only went up $500 on the CM7 (and $300 on the GT's).
Old 7th September 2007
  #40
Registered User
 

Oh right - $500 not $1000 - it was just on the Wunder site the price HAS gone up from $5.5K to $6.5K.

I don't know what MAP means (I'm in the UK) either way I'm glad I got my order in last week - as $500 more would of been the straw that broke the camels back.

I just can't wait to get it - I've actually been losing sleep at night - pathetic I know, I just can't wait to get the bloody thing - the CM7 is the glove and my voice the hand.

Trebor
Old 7th September 2007
  #41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor Flow View Post
Oh right - $500 not $1000 - it was just on the Wunder site the price HAS gone up from $5.5K to $6.5K.
The old retail ($5495) WAS the MAP/sell price...there wasn't a seperate "MAP" from the retail.

Now on the Wunder gear there is a MAP ($5995) and a retail price ($6495) , two different numbers. Retail is no longer the sell price (as it was previously), MAP is.

It's a bit confusing, the only reason I'm saying anything is because I've had more than a few phone calls where people are very worried that they can't afford the extra "$1000" price increase, when in reality, it's "$500" (which seems to be viewed as not as extreme).
Old 7th September 2007
  #42
Lives for gear
 
max cooper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor Flow View Post

I don't know what MAP means
Minimum advertised pricing
Old 7th September 2007
  #43
Registered User
 

Mr Cooper

I just tried Google to find what MAP means, failed, so thought up a few of my own ideas like:

Manufacturers Actual Price - didn't sound right

Manafactus Apperatus Partum - ..... I was always crap at latin

... finally: Maybe Ask Peter (well I know a Peter in music retail)

So finally I returned to ask Nathan, which I suppose would be MAN for short
when I spotted your answer.

Thanx
Trebor
Old 7th September 2007
  #44
Gear Head
 
Bob the V's Avatar
 

I am certain that given the proper mic I should sound exactly like Paul McCartney, or at least Robert Plant.......
Old 7th September 2007
  #45
Registered User
 

Quote:
I am certain that given the proper mic I should sound exactly like Paul McCartney, or at least Robert Plant.......
?

Trebor
Old 7th September 2007
  #46
Gear Head
 
Bob the V's Avatar
 

Some on this thread are discounting the mic on the basis that it doesn't quite make their voice sound like it oughta. Perhaps this is because their voice simply doesn't sound like it oughta. Or if there is a mike that does make their voice sound "proper" then they should use that mic.

Bob Vandiver
Old 7th September 2007
  #47
AB3
Lives for gear
 

These threads drive me crazy. First people want something phat, fat or whatever. Then they complain that it does not slice through a thick mix like a thinner, "hyped high end" mic.

How come there are not threads entitled: My Tele 47 does not cut through? Aren't there Tele 47s that sound the same or worse than the Wunder? So many threads discuss the desire to have a mic sound like the original 47, but then when a mic does, it is bashed for sounding like one.

What is it with the Wunder mics that stir all the controversy? My Wunder CM7 cuts through just great and it sounds like many different mics depending on how it is positioned with the source. And for that matter, you can also use the omni - it is not illegal.
Old 8th September 2007
  #48
Lives for gear
 

You should choose your mic based on the outcome you want, not on its name.

If you want something big and warm, go for the U47 or Wunder. If you want something that has more high mids and "cuts" through a mix without EQ, go for something like a U87 or a Blue Kiwi. Or you could get crazy and record with both (people do it on guitar amps all the time). Get to know the sonic "signature" of your mics and use them as appropriate based on that knowledge.

Once I learned how to do that, it significantly cut down on the amount of EQ I had to use at mix time.
Old 8th September 2007
  #49
Registered User
 

Quote:
Some on this thread are discounting the mic on the basis that it doesn't quite make their voice sound like it oughta. Perhaps this is because their voice simply doesn't sound like it oughta. Or if there is a mike that does make their voice sound "proper" then they should use that mic.
But that IS how it works?

If you stick a 251 on my voice - it won't just cut through the mix, it will carve my initials of your speaker cone.

However on a CM7 my bright tenor voice sounds Wunderful. Infact I need the darker M7 cap - I find the K47 too bright. IMHO it's similar to sticking filters on a camera - your just trying to capture a certain mood - the whole thing about recording is - it's one big illusion.

Am I missing your point here - sorry if I am?

Trebor
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
JOHN / High end
205
MUPA / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
darkwater / So much gear, so little time
30
borism / So much gear, so little time
18

Forum Jump
Forum Jump