The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
$1-2k mic suggestions to go with a Pacifica Condenser Microphones
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Head

$1-2k mic suggestions to go with a Pacifica

Hello hello.

I'm looking at getting a Pacifica and wanted some thoughts on general all purpose mics people would recommend in the $1-2k range. I am a film composer and have a writing studio that we don't really do recordings in (proper recordings of groups and orchestras are done in proper studios), but I have a small closet setup that I'm using more and more these days for vocals, soloists and demos and I'd like to get the best quality possible, since a lot of these closet sessions end up being finals.

Currently I use a Mini-Me with an Audix SCX25. It's a decent enough combo- a bit thin and crunched sometimes, but I get decent results. Admittedly, the Audix is pretty good on most things. I've even a/b'd it against a U87 and found that it stood up surprisingly well for such a difference in price range. The U87 was ultimately a little better, sat in the mixes better, but the Audix was a surprise. That experiment was also in a more pop context, which I don't do really. Mostly it's instrumental and orchestral music, and the Audix suits that stuff nicely.

Nonetheless, not being an engineer I thought I'd put it out to the boards here and see what kind of suggestions I get for a nice all purpose mic that will be a good fit for the Pacifica and my closet setup that would be an improvement on the Audix.

Thanks!
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Try the Brauner Phantom and the Panthera!
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

One of the things I love about the Pacifica is that it makes all my mics sound better.

The Pearlman TM-1 is a really popular combo if you are looking for something with a nice vintage warmth and vibe to it (or the soon to be released Pearlman LE). For really clean and natural, the Audio Technica 4060 is a great choice.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

I agree with rcm.

The Pearlman TM-1 and the Pacifica sound terrific together.

I also just did some nice acoustic stuff last night with the Pacifica and a stereo pair of Oktava MK-012 that had been modded by Michael Joly with the premium electronics....tasty!
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Addict

pacifica yay!
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Addict

TM-1 or LE will be a love connection with a Pacifica. Having said that my 414's sound like no 414 I've ever heard through the Pacifica either. It's just one of those pres that rocks with just about anything. I even tried a very old and tired 57 and the A-Designs box gave it new life and reason to be!

GM
Old 5th September 2007
wmitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanuman View Post
Try the Brauner Phantom and the Panthera!
thumbsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
One of the things I love about the Pacifica is that it makes all my mics sound better.
thumbsup

heh
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear
My LE sounded great through a Pacifica...I think it's the best mic buy in the $1-2K range...
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Head

Oooh the Pearlman looks great. Thanks for the responses. Now I've got leads to research.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Hi was wondering about the Pearlman. What is the difference between the Tm-2 and the LE or is the LE the TM-2?
Old 5th September 2007
JB3
Gear Addict

Get the Pacifica. stike

Listen to your Audix...

Just might work.

Pearlman: thumbsup

Don't forget the acoustic treatment for the closet! Could make a real difference in how anything will sound in the space.

YMMV
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

Based on your post, I'm going to throw in something a bit less trendy; the Neumann TLM170.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffJazzRecords View Post
Hi was wondering about the Pearlman. What is the difference between the Tm-2 and the LE or is the LE the TM-2?

Yes, I believe it is the original TM-1 and then the new TM-2 (or LE).
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Head

Awesome awesome. I'll check em all out.

Thanks, everybody!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search