The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lexicon 300 - softaware versions: any difference or limitations ? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Lexicon 300 - softaware versions: any difference or limitations ?

I got an offer for Lexicon 300 with 1.02 software version. Does it have any disadvantage or limitations comparing to later software versions (4 etc.) ?
Would it be a good buy ?
Old 4th September 2007
Pat
Gear Addict

Depends on the price
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

The highest version on the 300L or M300 is 3.5.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Depends on the price
Price is good ($1700), but I would like to know what I would miss comparing to 3.5 version. And if something is really missing, whether it can be somehow upgraded to a higher version
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Lexicon don't make any upgrade anymore, the V1 offer a lot less preset than the latest version...
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
Lexicon don't make any upgrade anymore, the V1 offer a lot less preset than the latest version...
Just the presets ? But user presets can still be made ?
STill not sure whether it would be a real upgrade from my PCM**** which sounds quite good ... and has 400 presets :-))
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you. This seems to be the version 1.02 ? Really not many presets ... I cannot see Random Hall and many other Halls I am used from PCM**** (also the choice of plates is not very generous ....)

Hmm, I have to think about it ...

Some people say the sound is the same as PCM****, other people say it sounds slightly better ...
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

and some like me will tell you the 300L sounds a 1000 times better than the pcm91...
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

So there is no chance to upgrade the software in any other way ? I remember some possibility was offered here from time to time but I forgot what was the way ....
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
So there is no chance to upgrade the software in any other way ? I remember some possibility was offered here from time to time but I forgot what was the way ....
I was selling a rare set of 300L 3.5L eproms a while ago, now gone..
Feel free to call Harman music group in MA, may be they found one hidden behind a box or something...
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was selling a rare set of 300L 3.5L eproms a while a go, now gone..
What is it ? Some upgrade kit ? How do you upgrade ? Via some disc or something like that ? I will ask them ...
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

No, it's just a set of 3x eproms, you install on the PCB board, that's all.
Make sure you ask them a set of V3.5 upgrade and not V3.5L.
The V3.5L is the same upgrade in terms of presets but it will freeze the front panel, and you'll need a Larc remote to control your unit.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

I just talked to the Lexicon support. They may find some chips. I also asked about their opinion about the sound quality comparison between PCM**** and L300 and they said it is very subjective. Using basically the same reverb algorithms, the difference is very subtle. PCM**** is a newer model and has more powerful processor and higher version of software and hardware. L300 was top at that time and may have some more "vintage" flavour.

My use goes basically around long lush "celestial" verbs rather than some pop/rock stuff. I wonder whether L300 sounds any more lush and celestial in long halls than PCM****
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wonder whether L300 sounds any more lush and celestial in long halls than PCM****
For long reverbs that are meant to be heard.......Yesthumbsup
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
What is it ? Some upgrade kit ? How do you upgrade ? Via some disc or something like that ? I will ask them ...
Ivo,

If you talk about M300, I can offer you to try v. 3.5 EPROMS from my M300 which was upgraded to 300L (LARC) with V.3.5L EPROMS I bought from Alex. If you don't like upgrade you can send me EPROMs back
If you wish LARC version than you would need v 3.5L EPROMS.
I'll check, but I think price is normally around 250-300 $ for all 3.
In regard to sound, I have two 300's and never though to sell them (I have Bricasti now, too, but this Lex flavor is possible to get only by higher-end Lexicons).
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
I just talked to the Lexicon support. They may find some chips. I also asked about their opinion about the sound quality comparison between PCM**** and L300 and they said it is very subjective. Using basically the same reverb algorithms, the difference is very subtle. PCM**** is a newer model and has more powerful processor and higher version of software and hardware. L300 was top at that time and may have some more "vintage" flavour.

My use goes basically around long lush "celestial" verbs rather than some pop/rock stuff. I wonder whether L300 sounds any more lush and celestial in long halls than PCM****
You should look into a Nuverb system. I just got a 2 card system and they are beautiful. Set me back only about $900 and supposedly they "are" the m300 verbs.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
You should look into a Nuverb system. I just got a 2 card system and they are beautiful. Set me back only about $900 and supposedly they "are" the m300 verbs.

But that´s only for old macs, isn´t it ?
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, you need a Nubus Mac to run them. A 300 without the pitch algos and just AES i/o...
Old 6th September 2007
Here for the gear

Hi, I'm french, so... sorry for my poor english.

I also have the opportunity to buy a good-priced Lexicon M300 (not -L), but the version is 1.0...
I only use large hall or church presets, for classical music recording.
I wonder if the version number matters...

I'm very interested, if someone can help me, or knows a way to upgrade...

Thanks a lot !
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

im not sure why, but the 300 was/is my favorite larc/system, always thought it sounded better than 480's or 224xl....dont know why, or what the software version was....

if it can be upgraded go for it.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
But that´s only for old macs, isn´t it ?
Yeah but what is the difference than buying a old hardware reverb unit like a 300L etc. The nice thing about Nuverb is that you can edit the effects on a nice big computer screeen. And Lexicon says the reverb "is" from the m300. So basically I got 2 m300's for $900 and they sound great. Not a bad deal in my book. Of course I would like to have two 300Ls but I would have to spend 4 times the money. I compared the Random Hall of Nuverb to that of my PCM90 and I can tell a noticeable improvement, not huge, but definitely there.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

I've got one too, ver. 1.2 Somebody mentioned here that ver. 1 might even sounds "better". I don't know... I'm liking it so far.... I would look into the option to upgrade it to the latest version too. If someone knows where we can do it, please let us know. I'm definitely IN to try out latest version, If I don' like it I can always go back.

Mozart
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
Ivo,

If you talk about M300, I can offer you to try v. 3.5 EPROMS from my M300 which was upgraded to 300L (LARC) with V.3.5L EPROMS I bought from Alex. If you don't like upgrade you can send me EPROMs back
If you wish LARC version than you would need v 3.5L EPROMS.
I'll check, but I think price is normally around 250-300 $ for all 3.
In regard to sound, I have two 300's and never though to sell them (I have Bricasti now, too, but this Lex flavor is possible to get only by higher-end Lexicons).

I sent you a PM. Check it out...
Mozart
Old 19th October 2007
buy the 300 in any version im absoltuely in love with mine. especially on synths.

damn, i always thought difference of versions was only in dualfx-algorithms. now i realized i dont have Random Hall either. a v1.10 user here too. so i need them eeproms as well. if anyone has ideas/options how ti obtain this, pls let me know. my e-mail is on the web site in sig.

thanks
Tom
Old 19th October 2007
Lives for gear

With Lexicon PCM 96 coming (for $2699) and Bricasti , the price of these old Lexicons must drop a lot, I suppose ... A friend of mine bought Lexicon 300 for $1400 recently at the auction in NYC. Around $1200-1400 should be a reasonable price in view of those new units ...
Old 19th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
With Lexicon PCM 96 coming (for $2699) and Bricasti , the price of these old Lexicons must drop a lot, I suppose ... A friend of mine bought Lexicon 300 for $1400 recently at the auction in NYC. Around $1200-1400 should be a reasonable price in view of those new units ...
Agree.
I paid for very clean M300 around 1600 some 2 years ago, so now should be less (I guess 1400 in US, in Europe everything costs more)
300L due to LARC is different story as LARC alone goes for crazy price nowdays (without it 300L or 480 are virtually unusable). I was lucky to find pure collector item (gearslutz who one a week or month played it at home), so everything was pracatically unused NOS (even no slightest dust inside). Such gems can be honored with couple of hundreds above average prices.
Still, I think that 300 will survive (sonically) after advent of PCM96, not in terms to be generally better reverb, but in some of its unique sounds.
Old 19th October 2007
Lives for gear

I would consider only a version without LARC - first, it is much cheaper and second, with LARC you get another thing which can fail at one moment ...
Old 19th October 2007
Lives for gear

The 300 is great for large ambient spaces. Wish I had one for that. Made a track that used that heavily. Superb...
Old 19th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would consider only a version without LARC - first, it is much cheaper and second, with LARC you get another thing which can fail at one moment ...
Right. Sound is same.
Check one offer in GS Secondhand Gears forum.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search