The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Neve 1073 vs. Vintage... Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 12th December 2008
AB3
Lives for gear

I believe that if you do a search on the ltd-1 that you will find many posts about your question. Short answer from what I read - it is a great pre - but it is not the same. That is not necessarily good or bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bforest4 View Post
How does the Chandler LTD-1 compare to a vintage Neve and how close are they to each other? They seem like another good cheaper alternative, especially used.
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrt View Post
I'm buying more original Neve modules. I'm wondering why people here who claim vintage and clone sounds almost the same doesn't sell their vintage 1073 for new ones...
prolly 'cause they already have the old ones and they keep going up in price. at least that's my case.

if i were starting out i doubt i'd buy vintage. i haven't heard the new ones but from all reports they do the trick fine.
Old 12th December 2008

This thread is from 2007.
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear

I just bought two used reissues. So far they sound basically the same as vintage modules I've tried. Really glad I didn't go for the Brent Averill ones.
Attached Thumbnails
New Neve 1073 vs. Vintage...-photo-35.jpg  
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear

I just bought the Brent Averill, which to my ears totally nails the sound.

-R
Old 12th December 2008

Just bought a pair of BAE 1272's, some of the best sounding pres I've ever heard.
Old 20th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Does that make it a vintage thread?
Old 20th December 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I use the Averills next to the originals all the time..no-one has ever complained
Roundbadge, is the EQ on the Brents up to the task compared with the AMS ones?
How much do they differ?
Old 20th December 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapeOp View Post
Roundbadge, is the EQ on the Brents up to the task compared with the AMS ones?
How much do they differ?
I know it's a question for Roundbadge but I believe he'll answer exactly the same as me. The BAE and the original 1073 modules are interchangeable and you'd be hard pressed to hear any difference between the two. The AMS Neve ones are a little more "hi-fi" sounding IMHO but it's all subjective. Personally, I chose the BAE stuff for my studio because I couldn't hear any difference between the original 1073's and the BAE 1073 modules.
Old 21st December 2008
Lives for gear
As for new AMS units compared to BAE, the AMS seem to be a little more hyped or open in the top end. I'm talking minute amounts - nothing you can't dial in. The BAE's are a little darker. I thought some of the vintage 1073's I've used before just sounded a little bit thicker and smoother than either of these - but I think The Avedis MA5 might be the better sounding pre of all of them.
Old 21st December 2008
Gear Addict

I own a pair of reissues AMS neve 1073s, and they sound incredible.

1073 to my Tubetech cl1b on lead vocals is the sound!

i have to say, I've never understood why anybody would buy a clone, when the original is still around and easily obtained.
Old 21st December 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
I know it's a question for Roundbadge but I believe he'll answer exactly the same as me. The BAE and the original 1073 modules are interchangeable and you'd be hard pressed to hear any difference between the two. The AMS Neve ones are a little more "hi-fi" sounding IMHO but it's all subjective. Personally, I chose the BAE stuff for my studio because I couldn't hear any difference between the original 1073's and the BAE 1073 modules.
Exactly what Josh saidthumbsup
I'd be fine with either although my wallet likes the BAE's more

also word to Avedis. did a great job w/ the MA5 .

Old 22nd December 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
thumbsup

1084's are my fav..love having the low pass filters as well..very handy.
Yes, 1084 EQ's are more useful, IMHO..............so I would (and did) choose 1084 reissues over 1073's.
Old 22nd December 2008
Nrt
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
As for new AMS units compared to BAE, the AMS seem to be a little more hyped or open in the top end. I'm talking minute amounts - nothing you can't dial in. The BAE's are a little darker. I thought some of the vintage 1073's I've used before just sounded a little bit thicker and smoother than either of these - but I think The Avedis MA5 might be the better sounding pre of all of them.
I agree with you about BAE and AMS.
Old 22nd December 2008
Lives for gear

Not to Hijack..
Roundbadge.. Quite a few of us have purchased 1073/81/84 clones thru Chance Pataki out there in La-La land. They were bought for pennies on the dollar, literally.

Here is the thread..

ACMP-73 +++++Neve 73 CLone

Any chance you would be interested in testing out the chinese clones next to the real deals? Outside of some minor issues, they are getting some very positive reviews...

Old 20th June 2016
Gear Head

BUMP TO THA OP
Old 20th June 2016
Ma5 = killer!!!
Old 20th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
a time travelling 1073 thread - oh wait here comes another one..
Old 20th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
thumbsup

1084's are my fav..love having the low pass filters as well..very handy.
Yup. 1084's rule them all. The best neve ever made IMHO. Don't know why the 1073 is more famous. Maybe cause they were more common in the day.

Never tried the reissue Neve—but heard they are spot on. I have 8 vintage 1084's all consecutive serial numbers...Now I'm just flat out bragging :p I will never sell them!
Old 20th June 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy Floppy View Post
Yup. 1084's rule them all. The best neve ever made IMHO. Don't know why the 1073 is more famous. Maybe cause they were more common in the day.

Never tried the reissue Neve—but heard they are spot on. I have 8 vintage 1084's all consecutive serial numbers...Now I'm just flat out bragging :p I will never sell them!
The new ones aren't quite the same.
I have old ones too.
Those marinaires
Old 20th June 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrt View Post
I'm buying more original Neve modules. I'm wondering why people here who claim vintage and clone sound almost the same don't sell their vintage 1073 for new ones...
I think they do. I sold my vintage 1084 for DIY 1084...
Old 20th June 2016
Lives for gear

having a low pass filter on the 1084 vs 1073 is very useful, especially more so these days with overly bright sounding mics, and some other modern gear.
Old 21st June 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy Floppy View Post
I will never sell them!
Right, so how much would you sell me a pair for ?
Old 21st June 2016
Quote:
The new ones aren't quite the same.
I have old ones too.
Those marinaires
Nothing is quite like a Marinaire or original St Ives i/o and nothing will likely ever be, and other components are quite different... there a differences in the 3055H's, other active devices,, cap's, and topology and implementation. Some things are better, but many are not. Anybody who says they sound the same hasn't really shot them out properly, with complex high def material and great monitoring. Many good new tools out there, but they aren't the same. Really makes a difference when it's 5-100 tracks being compared not just one lo rez file on loopback... just sayin'
Old 21st June 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Nothing is quite like a Marinaire or original St Ives i/o and nothing will likely ever be, and other components are quite different... there a differences in the 3055H's, other active devices,, cap's, and topology and implementation. Some things are better, but many are not. Anybody who says they sound the same hasn't really shot them out properly, with complex high def material and great monitoring. Many good new tools out there, but they aren't the same. Really makes a difference when it's 5-100 tracks being compared not just one lo rez file on loopback... just sayin'
Yep^^
Old 21st June 2016
Lives for gear

Yup keep those prices / investments going up..
Old 22nd June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P View Post
Yup keep those prices / investments going up..
probably the only true investment left in audio.
Old 23rd June 2016
Lives for gear

All I know is the new 1073DPX dual rack pre kicks some serious sonic ass!

Compare comshmare , it kicks sonic ass all on its own!

Great "modernized" build quality on this one.

I can't wait to try the new 33069/N, which is a "modernized" nod back to the "metal knob" version.

Neve has upped the anti and is still rocking hard, have no doubts!

Wow, smilie central posting.

Old 23rd June 2016
Lives for gear

Classic GS thread...to put things into perspective: Most listeners, including pro engineers in highend environments, fail to recognize the sonic signature of preamps in recordings when listening blindly - even though they are 100% sure they hear and recognize it when not being blind-tested. Been there, done that, many times over many years.

Now back to the regular program: Nothing, NOTHING beats the magical fairy dust star quality of the electronic parts that have been made 30 years ago, which are totally, totally impossible to reproduce in todays sad sorry chinese supplied world.
Old 25th June 2016
Lives for gear

Well, when the EU regulations go away in the UK, maybe we can get some of those old parts back in production -- dare to dream of the dawn of an independent Marinaire assembly shop (...-kidding! just had to get that in)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search