The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
3 different interfaces - how should I hook them up? Digital Converters
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Head

3 different interfaces - how should I hook them up?

I'm putting a mix studio together, and wonder which would be the best way to hook up the interfaces.
They are:
Apogee DA16x - main outputs for important tracks
Digidesign 96 i/o - another 8 outs...
UA 2192 - to record the mix back and for stereo monitor

Which guy should be master clock? I guess not digi Opinoins/expeirence?

The UA will have to go through the digi, AES/EBU, SPDIF or ADAT????

Also if using Apogee for master clock, how should I hook up the wordclock? Splitter cable or daisy chain?
And what about termination?

Please help me out here guys! heh

Oh, and it's all hooked up to PTHD, but you prolly guessed that, why else would I have a digi interface
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

apogee x-card and you can connect your apogee 16x to your core card.

So you have the 16x and the 96io connected to your core card. And use the aes io of the 96io to connect your 2192
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Head

Yes I have the x-hd card.

Which one should be master clock then?

/Marco
Old 4th September 2007
The DA16X - you should be able to set clock source within PT (hardware setup).

You should be able to go wordclock out of DA16X-96io-UA.

I THINK in this day and age that would be internally terminated...someone else can probably advise you better here.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
The DA16X - you should be able to set clock source within PT (hardware setup).

You should be able to go wordclock out of DA16X-96io-UA.
Aren't the Digi interfaces internally terminated ? So in theory you would not be able to clock the UA via the 96i/o. If the UA's is not terminated internally than try the DA16x-->UA->96i/o. Better yet....buy an external clock and save yourself from any potential headaches.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

I would probably use the 2192 as the master clock source although its worth trying them all out to see which sounds better if any.

Also i wouldn't recommend using a dedicated clock generator as its actually better to avoid those where possible. According to Dan Lavry you can link up to 25 units in series via BNC Word Clock without any issues.

Old 4th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kinsey View Post

Also i wouldn't recommend using a dedicated clock generator as its actually better to avoid those where possible. According to Dan Lavry you can link up to 25 units in series via BNC Word Clock without any issues.

I don't quite understand. What is the difference between using a Big Ben clock and say the UA clock via BNC ? Aren't they both acting as master clocks here ? If your premise is that a dedicated AD convertor generates a better clock than a dedicated one, than i would like to be enlightened further please as I don't think this is the case. I believe Dan Lavry's argument was something along the lines that a dedicated AD convertor performs better using its internal clock rather than being fed an external Word Clock. This is also dependant on good convertor design and topolgy.

Please correct me if im wrong..

Last edited by Donny; 4th September 2007 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: Had the same Quote twice
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny View Post
I don't quite understand. What is the difference between using a Big Ben clock and say the UA clock via BNC ? Aren't they both acting as master clocks here ? If your premise is that a dedicated AD convertor generates a better clock than a dedicated one, than i would like to be enlightened further please as I don't think this is the case. I believe Dan Lavry's argument was something along the lines that a dedicated AD convertor performs better using its internal clock rather than being fed an external Word Clock. This is also dependant on good convertor design and topolgy.

Please correct me if im wrong..
Here is a link to the infamous thread at PSW which contains Dan Lavry's comments on this matter. Bob Katz also gives some very usefull info on this thread.
PSW Recording Forums: Dan Lavry => Proper word clock implementation

Its best to use internal clock if the AD converter is properly designed. It makes no sense to clock a 2192 with a Big Ben when you can leave the 2192 in internal mode and use that as the master clock source for everything else.

It yeilds better ressults for the fact that the AD will be running on its own clock and not going through another electronic circuit to receive the clock, therefore much less chance of introducing Jitter. Also by chaining the converters via BNC, the cabling is more direct and again this further eliminates the introduction of Jitter because its not going through extra circuitry.

The only advantage of using a BigBen is if your interface does not have a good clock, but even in this case i would just get a decent AD converter and clock that interface using the BNC wordclock output of the AD.

Old 11th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kinsey View Post
I would probably use the 2192 as the master clock source although its worth trying them all out to see which sounds better if any.

I just bought Prism Sound Orpheus through Sound Tools in UK 3 weeks ago and still waiting for the rest 250£ and receipt.

How pro is that?

Avoid dealing with this guy Andrew Kinsey.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search