The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Opinions:Line 6 - Spider Valve (High End Hybrid Guitar Amp)
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Anybody played this amp yet. From what I hear it should be quite interesting acquiring guitar 'tones' thru these new guitar amps.

Rob G..
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

not stereo

Doesn't have stereo outputs, too bad.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

I try out any new amp any chance I get, but since every Line 6 amp I have ever heard, I would describe as awful, I do not hold high hopes for this one.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

It's an 'guitar amp'. So I guess that's why the outputs are the way they are. And, yeah the authenticity of Line 6 amps compared to the 'real' thing has been questioned but, 'Reinhold Bogner' of 'Bogner Amplification'(maker of the renown 'Ecstacy' guitar amp) has had his hand in developing this one. So I personally am expecting 'more' from this amp vs. what we've been getting from 'Line 6' which has'nt been bad so far, just not as good as 'the real thing'.

Rob G..
Old 4th September 2007

thumbsup

Looks pretty exciting despite my adverse reaction to Pods through to Vettas when I payed/tweaked/played/tweaked ad nauseum
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

I wouldn't put much stock in any online reviews unless the reviewer has direct experience with real tube amps and even better, actual Bogner models.

Simply comparing it to and reviewing it against other Line6 stuff wouldn't shed much light on things for me, but as an XTC owner, I plan to at least audition these when they are readily available.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

The most notable experience I had with Line 6 amps was FOH. Bands would bring them in and give me a hell of a time trying to make these boxes survive in the mix.
It didn't help that most of the players didn't know too much how to dial in usable tones with them. The best was when one of these amps broke in the second song of the set, one week old...as he had tried a tone of that kind we just borrowed a Vox AC30 from another band and kept going. Looking inside after the gig I did see cheap components and less than stellar workmanship. So sorry to rain on your parade, but I remain to see a Line 6 amp that impresses me.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I've been hunting around trying to find out when a dealer will receive delivery of a 'Spider Valve', & how soon I can do a demo face to face.

Rob G..
Old 5th September 2007

Keep us posted with your reports!

Make sure you crank the power stage!
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Blast9,

Will do.

Rob G..
Old 5th September 2007
Funny how the Line6 site has tons of info and video but no sound clips

Unless its hidden somewhere.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocrat View Post
Funny how the Line6 site has tons of info and video but no sound clips

Unless its hidden somewhere.
Funny, when I jumped onto their website yesterday and went through their videos, I had the same thought.

Laser
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

While we're at it. Do Marshall, or MESA Boogie post sound clips on their websites?

Rob G..
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

I don't have high hopes for this one. I saw a block Diagram, and it's nothing more than a modeler with a Tube output section slapped on.

Take a Pod, and put it through a rack tube amp, and you basically have a spider valve *yawn*.

Once I got some specifics I was real disappointed. What's worse is in their literature they talk about using 12ax7 "Preamp tubes" when actually it has NOTHING to do with the preamp and is just input and PI to the tube amp! tutt

Here's the Block Diagram:

Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Why does it have different D/As for the cab sim out, and the output to go to the amp?

I think these amps are ok to keep as backups, or keep in the practice room or whatever (maybe for the singer who only plays 2 chords per song), but as a lead guitarist, there's simply no reason to use otherwise. IF you're a professional, then the cost of your amps really isn't that big of a deal if you're doing pro gigs. If you're not doing pro gigs, then I don't see why it matters.
Old 7th September 2007

Weird --- I'm sure the video stated signal path was:

guitar >>> 2 cascaded gain stages of 1st 12AX7 >>> digital modelling >>> inverter 12AX7 >>> power stage.

This would presumably mean the character of the tone/gain starts there in the analog realm... but not according to that diagram.
Old 7th September 2007
the only amps I've heard that even remotely come close to the modeling thing are the Randall MTS series and the Egnater, and thats because Bruce Egnater is I guess coping the circuit designs there's NO F#$cking BullS#$T modeling going on. It's a real amp not some guy's idea of a real amp
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
the only amps I've heard that even remotely come close to the modeling thing are the Randall MTS series and the Egnater, and thats because Bruce Egnater is I guess coping the circuit designs there's NO F#$cking BullS#$T modeling going on. It's a real amp not some guy's idea of a real amp

The Randalls aren't bad but the more modules I buy the more I realize the differences are subtle. I can make the xtc sound just like the plexi with little effort. The amp records great though and sounds fantastic for alternative styles. I'm intrigued by the Line 6 but I can't help but thinking it's no different than throwing a floor pod in front of a tube amp. Why would you do that?
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

because any modeler put in front of a tube amp sounds light years better than a modeler on its own... thats why atomic reactors were created.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Sounds reasonable to me. Now lets see how good the actual amp sounds.

Rob G..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search