The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
16 Bit vs 24 Bit Audio Interfaces
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

16 bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
wow, there is a lot of info to learn here, again i like the best of both worlds, 24 bit to me is more balanced but almost has a compression feel to it somewhat, i cannot explain it and punch, i can only hear it with my own ears. 16 bit just seems to have more iron in it, i know its noise by all means.
im not sure that it matters a whole lot since it will end up 16 bit on the final master or sould i say on a myspace page...lol
I stopped using 24 bit a few months ago.. to my ears is sounds more "in phase" and I am able to get a better mix in the end using 16 bit.. The best to my ears is 24 bit recorded sessions dithered to 16 bit before mixdown. the dither seems to warm up and focus the sound more...to me 24 bit never sounded that good. too phasey especially in the low end....
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

this is high end?

Old 19th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelAngelo View Post
especially in the low end....
Im not sure about the word phase but i admit that in the low end spectrum of 24 bit is tricky, maybe another term would be "not so true"
Again when it comes to rock and roll 24 bit is "blah", it bores me.
But i will always turn to 24 bit for the lighter side, its so sweet for that kind of stuff.

I feel like 16 bit vs 24 bit will always be a matter of choice, conflict etc.
Old 19th September 2007

Quote:
I stopped using 24 bit a few months ago.. to my ears is sounds more "in phase" and I am able to get a better mix in the end using 16 bit.. The best to my ears is 24 bit recorded sessions dithered to 16 bit before mixdown. the dither seems to warm up and focus the sound more...to me 24 bit never sounded that good. too phasey especially in the low end....

what?

i mean what?

craaaaAAAAaazzzy talk.!!
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah....I went back to 16 bit because it smelled better. 24 bit stinks.
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

16 bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
what?

i mean what?

craaaaAAAAaazzzy talk.!!
IF 16 BIT IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR CHRIS LORD ITS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME! HE'S MY HERO! Now he understands TONE!!!!

Don't believe the Hype!
Old 19th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
Yeah....I went back to 16 bit because it smelled better. 24 bit stinks.
Thats a good one Pat, it sorta makes the monitors smell better.

But here is another way i could explain 24 bit, it has a dolby sound to it maybe B , i would go so far as saying C.

Naw serious before i got 24 bit i use to mix down to 24 bit sometimes and it just sounded flat.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search