The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Twin6 BE - Buying tomorrow... your last chance to comment! Studio Monitors
Old 13th November 2007
Lives for gear

Barefoots are a hefty purchase (in all ways), yet if they weren't as heavy in the $$ dept many more would be swinging to Barefoots....including meheh

This is not to say you don't get a lot of speaker for your $$$....you do!
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

after second burn in, they changed massive. still not perfect, but in a way we can work now.
Old 17th November 2007
Gear Addict

my poor little genelc's don't get no attention no more...
Attached Thumbnails
Focal Twin6 BE - Buying tomorrow... your last chance to comment!-_dsc0058-focals-large-.jpg  
Old 17th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeySmid View Post
my poor little genelc's don't get no attention no more...
lol! Sold my Genelecs (inc sub) a week after getting the Twins. Kinda says it all really!
Old 17th November 2007
Gear Nut

i start to love em. it´s unbelieveable that they changed so extreme.

these rock every monitors i ever heard and worked with.

even when i think that the price difference to the event or adam a7 is little too much, i begin to say it´s worth every cent.

thumbsup

psmworld aka eddierodriguez
Old 17th November 2007
Lives for gear

Well that must be a big relief!

Both to you and the Focal fan club.

Glad it's starting to work out

How's the low end now compared to your Events?
Old 18th November 2007
Gear Nut

the low end is not same, but it´s now good enough to work with.

at the beginning the bass wasn´t really noticeable, now i can hear nearly every frequency.

some fine tunings on the back when needed, and they´re perfect.
Old 19th November 2007
Lives for gear

I found that on my stands, I got way less bass then when vertical on the table... before my mix was a bit bass heavy... now I can feel it way more... :O
Old 19th November 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by miqer View Post
I found that on my stands, I got way less bass then when vertical on the table... before my mix was a bit bass heavy... now I can feel it way more... :O
this comes from reflections of the table.

the room and the speaker-positions are very important.
Old 19th November 2007
Gear Addict

Yep, speaker positioning is extremely critical to the sound of the speaker. Too close to the wall, or sitting on too much flat surface will completely change the sound of a speaker.
Old 20th November 2007
Lives for gear

Sins they have been vertical on the table... I am closer to the speakers... and man do they sound better. I was so baffled that I sat and listened to 20 songs today... ending with listened the entire Ali Farka record with Cooder, talking Timbuktu...
It feels like I am in the room with the Africans, but it's a dream world at the same time.
I think they found there position...

I will experiment more. I love this forum. It was here I saw pictures of them vertical... and thought, ok, perhaps... why not? Hell, I'll try it.

So, yeah... if you don't get a really special and defined, and low end sound out of your twins, try different poss.

M.
Old 20th November 2007
Lives for gear

They def. have more bass in horizontal position.
Old 20th November 2007
Lives for gear

How long did the full burn-in take?
I know this is room dependent, but how far from the wall do you like them?
Old 20th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulse_divider View Post
I know this is room dependent, but how far from the wall do you like them?
The way my room measured, the speakers were pushed up against the wall so close that the XLR cable in the back is actually touching the wall. I'll need to get 90degree connectors.
It's a good thing these have ports in the front!

Regards,
Bruce
Old 20th November 2007
Gear Nut

so near to the wall is a problem without fibre-glass or other shaking wall-applications.

i´d say at least 1-2 meters from the back and 3-4 meters on the sides. and also with sidewall-applications.
Old 23rd November 2007
Here for the gear

Focal Twin 6 or Dynaudio Air 6?

Hi all,

I've made my final decision between the Dynaudio Air 6, and the Focal Twin 6. I haven't heard the twins cause they don't stock them over here, so it's all based on the comments in this topic so far, but it's making me very curious. So what would you suggest i should go for?

Thanks!
Old 23rd November 2007
Lives for gear

You are asking this in the wrong thread! This is the we love the twins thread.

I've heard the air 6 against the focals... not the clear mid def., too big, too expensive... and who needs da in de monitor? The remote volume control thing is pretty cool...

They do look cool, and look pro. And i'm sure they are great monitors.

ps. if you are in europe, thomann or musicstore will ship them, and you can send them back if you don't like them, in 30 days...
Old 23rd November 2007
Lives for gear

I have no clue how the Twins sound (I got the SM11) but I heard the Air6 At the time I used the BM6A and couldn't figure out why on earth the same company makes one really nice monitor and one that sounds like ...

ok I didn't like it at all ... I fear this won't help you but anyway
Old 25th November 2007
Gear Nut

in my opinion, forget the air 6. too much sizzle. the focal are really great.

it took over 36 hours of burn in before they started to be excellent.

about 16 hours at low level and 16 hours of medium level and some hours little louder.
Old 25th November 2007
Gear Addict

I have some Focal Twin6 with the Sub6 coming over next week for head to head audition with the Klein + Hummel 0300D with 0800 sub. Should be interesting as the Focals are a lot cheaper and I am wondering how they will stack up.

Just to summarize: to get to this point I have auditioned ATC SCM20, PMC AML1, Genelec 1032, Adam S3A and Klein + Hummel 0300D, with the 0300Ds winning by some margin. Can't get Barefoots here in the UK unfortunately otherwise I would try those too.

Any thoughts/opinions on how I should expect the Focal Twin 6 plus sub to compare with that little lot?
Old 25th November 2007
Lives for gear

Hey, if the Solo6 Be can be used for Mastering Alicia Keys, then you KNOW they're good! thumbsup

Regards,
Bruce
Old 26th November 2007
Lives for gear

I can't believe this thread is still going!
3rd September I posed the original question!
Old 26th November 2007
epp
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by teex View Post
Hi all,

I've made my final decision between the Dynaudio Air 6, and the Focal Twin 6. I haven't heard the twins cause they don't stock them over here, so it's all based on the comments in this topic so far, but it's making me very curious. So what would you suggest i should go for?

Thanks!
I would avoid both. I've auditioned at least ten sets of speakers lately and these are the two I like the least. They're rubbish. Very different from each other, but rubbish nevertheless.
Old 26th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by epp View Post
I would avoid both. I've auditioned at least ten sets of speakers lately and these are the two I like the least. They're rubbish. Very different from each other, but rubbish nevertheless.
You are either:
1.deaf
2.incompetent and shouldn't be in the audio business
3.just trying to be controversial for the sake of it

I'll let the other audio professional Focal users pick one.
Old 26th November 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
I would avoid both. I've auditioned at least ten sets of speakers lately and these are the two I like the least.
What did you end up going for then if you don't mind my asking?
Old 26th November 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
1.deaf
2.incompetent and shouldn't be in the audio business
3.just trying to be controversial for the sake of it

or

4. an ambitious employee of a competing manufacturer

5. someone with a grudge against the brands mentioned

6. a guy being honest with how he hears things.

that's the thing about life, it's impossible to know someone's true motivations. judgments and tastes, otoh, i can read like an open book. when someone expresses enough things that i get a feel for whether i trust their sensibilities, or just the way they go about sifting thru data, i tend to pay attention when they speak. everyone else i take with a generous grain of salt.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 26th November 2007
Lives for gear

Or

7. Taste wasn't compatible with the Focals

I too would like to know what you ended up with/liked.
Old 26th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
They're rubbish. Very different from each other, but rubbish nevertheless.
If epp had said "I don't like them and this is why..." then fine we all have different taste. It would be a boring old world if we all liked the same thing. But weather you like them or not to say they are rubbish on a public forum is not only wrong but an insult to the many experienced professional engineers on this form that choose to use Focals. Do you not think that a company like Focal would chuck the prototype in the bin and try again if it was rubbish

If you don't like them that's cool but don't call them rubbish, especially without any explanation of what in your opinion is rubbish about them!
Old 26th November 2007
epp
Gear Nut

Ooops

While most speakers end up in the "middle of the road" territory, there are a few really good ones, and a few that's rubbish. I happened to see the words air 6 and focal twin 6, and those speakers do belong in the last category. Believe me. Air 6 might be good for - voice over? Twin 6......... I don't know - hifi??

K+H is to me an accurate speaker, so are Geithains - PMC AML-1 is a good choice for rock'n'roll, but not as accurate as the other two. I chose K+H because THANK GOD it's not ported.

The bass response in more or less all ported speakers I've heard is rubbish by the way (and that includes the PMC transmission line speakers).
Old 26th November 2007
Lives for gear

1 & 3 then...

I'll not say any more.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search