The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Twin6 BE - Buying tomorrow... your last chance to comment! Studio Monitors
Old 10th November 2007
Gear Guru

hey eddie, despite what people may try to tell you... it's okay to not like the twins .

the bass is one of the aspects of the twins that impresses me most, i find the articulation down there to be uncanny, especially in the 80-300 range. but if anything is true in this game, it's that monitors are extremely personal. if you've got a tool in the events that allows you to create effortless mixes that translate beautifully, there's no need to look any further.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 10th November 2007
Lives for gear

i´m not disliking them.

i was looking for a very professional upgrade to my events. i did a big shootout 2 years ago and the event were a big bang for the buck compared in the price range up to 1500,- eur/2000 usd. so i took them for home first and then in the studio cause they were so great to work with. as i said, the gen´s are lousy. i heard most of the adams which are really good. most of the dynaudio which are ok, so the next monitors to test were the focal. i was looking for the next step. more clarity, more imaging, more accurance. overall a bit better.

as lousy the gen´s are to me, they were more accurate. just like all the other.

except the low range and stereo-image, the focal are crystal clear and very comfortable. i hope the burn in will have success.
Old 10th November 2007
Gear Head

I got the Twins a couple of weeks ago to finish mixing a project. I came from the Event 20/20 bas monitors. All I can say is OMG! My mixes now translate perrrrfectly 1st time and my mix room is not even treated... yet. My daughter actually liked one of the songs from this project and put it on her cell phone. I was amazed how it sounded on a cell phone? I had been interested in the Barefoot MM27s for quite some time but now I just can't justify the extra expense, for my purposes anyway. The Focal Twins just get the job done!

Brad
Old 10th November 2007
Here for the gear

This a silly question but would like to know, is the twin6 rear input connection a regular analog xlr or is digital?. Im not a profesional but VERY interested in this speakers for my home use. Thanks
Old 10th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorsan View Post
This a silly question but would like to know, is the twin6 rear input connection a regular analog xlr or is digital?. Im not a profesional but VERY interested in this speakers for my home use. Thanks
The Twins are 100% analogue.

Only the SM8 & 11 have the digital inputs
Old 10th November 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks Steve.
Old 10th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorsan View Post
Thanks Steve.
np enjoy the twins when you get them
Old 10th November 2007
Here for the gear

be sure about it!. Enjoy your weekend.
Old 11th November 2007
Lives for gear

well, after day 5 i think that they changed a little. it´s getting better, but is still not enjoyable.

why does the manufacturer not burn in?
Old 11th November 2007
Gear Addict

For me the Twins6 Be are excelent!!!! are the best monitor I had and definetly is nothing better to me in that price range!

My mixes translate well and I love their sound...t me are fun.

Actually I may be selling my Genelecs 1031....
Old 11th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez View Post

why does the manufacturer not burn in?
Actually this is a valid point!
Old 11th November 2007
Lives for gear

The manual says not to play music too loud during the burn in time. I did not read that until I burned them in with loud dub for 3 days. Still, they sound great.
Old 11th November 2007
Lives for gear

not only at burn in. monitors should be medium driven the first weeks.

today i start the first burn in part.
Old 11th November 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
Actually this is a valid point!
Yeah! but can you imagine connecting 200 pairs of monitors in a warehouse for a week or even more????heh
Old 11th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
Yeah! but can you imagine connecting 200 pairs of monitors in a warehouse for a week or even more????heh
not very practical I suppose
Old 11th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
Not to mention the odds of you keeping the monitors are higher the longer you use them, which is longer if you wait for the 'burn in'. After a while you get used to the new monitor, for better or worse.

Speaker manufactures would lose sales if their monitors were already broken in.
Old 11th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
manufactures would lose sales if their monitors were already broken in.
i don´t think so.

guess how many monitors were sent back cause they were not acting as supposed.

most people buy some for upgrading a working setup. noone buys monitors only to get used to them when buying highend monitors. you could keep your old ones instead.

by now my twins do burn in for about 14 hours at low level. a big concert with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Incubus, Reed, Skunk Anansie, PSM, Paul McCartney, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Lenny Kravitz and the Austroholics.
Old 12th November 2007
Lives for gear

When you try to return them the 1st thing they will ask is if you burned them in and if not, to do that first before returning.
Old 12th November 2007
Lives for gear

yeah, but if there isn´t enough time, most people would give them back instead of hold them unsure. besides those who have too much money heh
Old 12th November 2007
Gear Guru

at the risk of asking something insulting, have you checked the eq trim pots on the backs of the twins to make sure they're flat?

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 12th November 2007
Lives for gear

sure

i´m curious about todays session. they played 16 hours now.
Old 12th November 2007
Gear Nut

Where are you guys purchasing your Twins from?
Old 12th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez View Post
sure

i´m curious about todays session. they played 16 hours now.
Just be careful to keep the levels reasonable when you let them play continuous...you don't want to burn the voice coils out (which could happen at high continuous levels).
Old 12th November 2007
Lives for gear

Does the lit specify what reasonable levels are?
Old 12th November 2007
Lives for gear

well, after 17 hours of burn in, they definitely changed. low range and image is better. when they change another bit i´ll be very happy.

i will burn them in both ways left and right at medium to low level.

got mine from thomann
Old 12th November 2007
Lives for gear

Cool. Since they've broken-in a bit, you should also do some higher level supervised bursts to stretch 'em a bit.

The part of the speaker that loosens up the most with burn in is the diaphragm that supports the center voice coil ring (rear of the speaker)...it can be rather stiff and loosen quite a bit with break-in. But it is speaker dependent...depending on the materials/construction of the diaphragm the manufacture chose.

Some speakers really open up all around with a good break-in, others not so much.
Old 12th November 2007
Here for the gear

Hi,
I am the "father" of the Twins, like all the other speakers from the Focal pro line (SM8, SM11).
I am both amazed, and rather proud as you would imagine, that these speakers seem to create so much interest in this forum.
Up to you anyway to say if you like them or not, and why.
As somebody said, for some reasons than even their designers don't fully understand, some speakers need more time burning in than others. This is the case tor the Twins, as well as for the Solos. I think it's probably down to the variations in the rubber of which the surround is made of.
Cheers
Old 13th November 2007
Lives for gear

My Focal speakers were working great right out of the box. After a week or so I really haven't heard that great of a change!

Regards,
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Focal Twin6 BE - Buying tomorrow... your last chance to comment!-picture-061.jpg  
Old 13th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan42 View Post
Hi,
I am the "father" of the Twins,
Cheers
Father of the twins, I ask permission to burn your daughters in!

(this thread is getting weirder and longer!)
m.
Old 13th November 2007
Lives for gear

This is a bit off topic (I think), but I am blown away by how many people are switching over to either the Focals or the Barefoots (feet?).
Maybe it's just coincidental. I'm about to try a pair of Twin6 for myself.

Thanks for everyones helpful feedback.
Buying new monitors is a stressful affair.
I thought buying new mics was bad.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search