The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Twin6 BE - Buying tomorrow... your last chance to comment! Studio Monitors
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
Eddie, be ready to sale your other monitors!!heh
Absolutely
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

I've been using my Focal speakers for about a week now. I have the Twins at L/R, Solos at C/LS/RS and the Sub. They're the best monitor speakers I have ever heard. No contest..... thumbsup

Regards,
Bruce
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

well, after 3 hours of testing i´m tired...

the twins sound really different. i liked my event much more than the genelec, cause the genelec sound not musical to me. the focal are somewhere in between.

compared to the TR8 the focal are thin but stable in the bass and more transparent. i could make a little bit more fine tuning, but less than i expected.

i A/B´d the monitors and i noticed less stereo-image with the focals?!

sure they need some time to burn in, but this was a weird surprise. i hope that this will change after some hours of use.

it got late today so i couldn´t make some mixdowns of the new focal-based mixes. hopefully i´ll get better results, but i´m not very optimistic at the moment.

all in all it leaves a balanced mark, but is it worth the 2300,- eur?

i´ll see...

good night everybody!
Old 8th November 2007
Eddie be sure that the distance between the Tweeters of the Twins are at the same distance as the others monitor tweeters.

Basicly you need somebody to help you if you want to do a good comparison...

also you can put one omnitor in top of the othes o make the :
A B ........... A B test ....where you can set the same the distance between the monitors ( a : monitor 1, b: monitor 2 in position)

The twins have an amazing stereo image!
Old 8th November 2007
TSM
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez View Post
compared to the TR8 the focal are thin but stable in the bass
When I first got mine, I thought the same, and thought about getting the Sub. After a month of use, the bass has really come through, and now sounds tight, controlled and defined.I'm very happy.

Best.
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM View Post
When I first got mine, I thought the same, and thought about getting the Sub. After a month of use, the bass has really come through, and now sounds tight, controlled and defined.I'm very happy.

Best.
SAME HERE
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
i A/B´d the monitors and i noticed less stereo-image with the focals?!
Something is wrong there, your placement, burn in time, something.

The imaging on the twins is the best I've heard bar none! They are far superior in this regard to any monitor I've used in the last 20 years!
Old 8th November 2007
Gear Head

I'm sure I am missing something here but have you checked the "right-left" switch on the rear panel of each speaker? Make sure left sp. is set to "left" and right sp. is set to "right".

Brad
Old 8th November 2007
Gear Nut

I´ve got them vertically too, cause their is no way in my situation to use them the other way. When I put them horizontal I´m missing the lows totally, due to the fact that my room and my mix position is really worse. My room is short and a cube and the dimensions are 3m x 3m x 2,5m and my mix position is in the middle of da room. DIY 4" Traps at the front wall from left to right and on both corners of my backwall and big bookshelf in the middle of my back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
for all you twins lovers out there, i recently fell in love with these boxes all over again.

in the process of moving out of a dedicated room and bringing the essentials into my home, i experimented with setting up the twins vertically and i gotta say, i much prefer how they sound this way. i've got the tweets on the outside, and the l/r switches are reversed. iow, the left speaker is set to 'right' and vice versa.

this puts the mid+bass driver at ear level with the bass driver flying way overhead, which makes the whole sound a lot more midforward than it is with both 6.5's at ear level. it also raises the tweet another 2 inches, so it's not firing straight into my ear; this further shifts the emphasis to the mids.

as an unabashed fan of ns10's and s3a's voicing, i sometimes found myself wishing the twins had a ballsier midrange. they've got plenty of detail, i just wanted them slightly more aggressive. configured this way, i got my wish.

if you've got the itch, give it a try. anyone else got theirs standing up? they look more impressive to me this way too, even the lady had to admit that.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

i had a session today and now i have a second opinion from my studiomate.

everything is connected and positioned right.

the focal are very very thin in the bass-range. and the stereo-image is much less than with the Event.

my mate said, that the focal sound very distant, far behind the monitors too.

i really hope that they will be more neutral/flat when more used, otherwise they´re not mine...
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

i really hope that they will be more neutral/flat when more used, otherwise they´re not mine...
Sounds like you have room problems instead!

Regards,
Bruce
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

the focal are very very thin in the bass-range. and the stereo-image is much less than with the Event.

I'm sorry but you are just plain wrong. tutt
The Focal are not thin in the bass range. You are probably used to listening to monitors that have an overly present bass responce. The Focal's bass is clear, tight, articulate and true. Mix with them and see how your mixes translate compared with your other monitors. Anything else must be a room problem.

Get out of the "Local Music Shop monitors club" and enjoy a professionals tool!
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

they´re definitely thin in the bass-range. maybe only cause they need to burn in. (hopefully)

my studio-room has no problems.

mixed much today and the mixes are thin, cold and very unbalanced. and yes, compared they sound indirect. sounds like the sound is coming from the back of the monitors.

how long does it take to burn in? how should it be done best way?

i can´t believe that these monitors sound like that.
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

Man something is wrong with your posts..I have the Events and a friend the Genelecs and NOWAY sounds better that the Twins!!!!!!

I would just give them back!

Really this does not make sense!!!
Old 9th November 2007
Lives for gear

My guess is that if the Twins were bass light your mixes on them would be too bass-y and warm/ fuzzy, not cold and thin..

Have you tried setting them up right next to eachother and see if they sound the same? Maybe you got a defective one. Also, is the bass roll off at 0? Is there some kind of mis-wiring in the cables? Are you going balanced or unbalanced in?

I have the Twins and they have plenty of low end.. The difference before and after burn in is not HUGE, but they do sound more balanced and "open" after being burned in. Just play some material that has subs at a low volume overnight a couple times and they should be there the next morning.

Quote:
they´re definitely thin in the bass-range. maybe only cause they need to burn in. (hopefully)

mixed much today and the mixes are thin, cold and very unbalanced. and yes, compared they sound indirect. sounds like the sound is coming from the back of the monitors.

Old 9th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

It sounds like there is something strange going on. The following questions are not meant to insult you or your ablilites, but meant to get to the bottom of the situation:

-- Are you sure that the speakers are not out of phase? This could account for thin-ness and the 'distant' sounding aspects that you are reporting.

-- Have you tried setting the speakers up somewhere else entirely? You could even get a portable CD player or iPod [or anything with a volume control] and plug it directly into the speakers [via adaptors -- and different cables than you are currently using] in another room entirely just to narrow down the possiblities.

-- Are these speakers in the same place that the old monitors were?

Again, just a few suggestions...

Good luck,
John
Old 9th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno View Post
It sounds like there is something strange going on. The following questions are not meant to insult you or your ablilites, but meant to get to the bottom of the situation:

-- Are you sure that the speakers are not out of phase? This could account for thin-ness and the 'distant' sounding aspects that you are reporting.

-- Have you tried setting the speakers up somewhere else entirely? You could even get a portable CD player or iPod [or anything with a volume control] and plug it directly into the speakers [via adaptors -- and different cables than you are currently using] in another room entirely just to narrow down the possiblities.

-- Are these speakers in the same place that the old monitors were?

Again, just a few suggestions...

Good luck,
John

yes, yes and yes.

no phase problem, no false wiring, no false setting on the monitors, no false setting or problem anywhere.

i did mean, that the mixes sound boomy/heavy bass on hifi but when mixed thin with the focals.

i know that the event are not highend, but they played the bass in the same way the mixdowns sounded on hifi.

new monitors need to be known and that takes time. but i can´t understand why they sound that distant and completely different.

i had no such difference between adam p11, p22, dynaudio bm6, bm15, genelec 1030, 1031 and event. they´re sounding and picturing not all too different when heavy compared.

the positive thing i noticed was, that the way they sound distant, doesn´t stress our ears.

thanks for any input, i´m going to the next session now.
Old 9th November 2007
Lives for gear

I left mine playing a dub song with lot´s of bass, a hiphop song, and a funk song, repeat... all weekend...
And when I got back: thick sub in the room... zoem zoem, mhhhh.

When I first hooked them up I thought the same as you, and in my enthousiasm I had fogotten to take the safety things of the tweekers!!!! Did you take them off?? I´m sure you did.
Old 9th November 2007
Lives for gear

i´m no noob

i hope i´m getting used to them. 2-3 weeks and i have to decide.

same problems today and another technician said that they sound the same to him.
Old 9th November 2007
Gear Addict

This sound like a bashing Focal post to me!!!

I tried my twins at my friends studio, he have the 1031 and he said the twins were much better!
Then another friend said that his Dynaudios BM15 sounded not so good next to the Twins!

My point here is:

No way the Twins sound thin and distant..only if they have a problem!!

I think if you say that the Twins are not defective and sound thin and distant and you compared them to other monitors....welll you must be smart and give them back......but not....you continue talking about it and you dont send them back!!!! what are you waiting for???????

I never will keep monitors that sound like these ...never!!!!! ....

So I think you have a serious problem here ....o just a Focal bashing agenda!!!
Old 9th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneRexx View Post
So I think you have a serious problem here ....o just a Focal bashing agenda!!!
He has no focal bashing agenda.

He bought them and was very exited about them...so exited he put his other monitors up for sale....before he even received the focals!

Then he heard them and was shocked. They sounded completely different than his Events. He is used to his Events and now is a little perplexed.

He should let them break in with bass heavy material...leave 'em playing a loop, etc.

He should try them in a different room along with the Events in that different room.

He should play 1 speaker (mono) next to the other (mono), Focal/Event and note any differences.

Maybe his Events were bass heavy and the flatness of the Focals is a shock.

He's not a focal basher, just someone who's worried they made a bad decision on a very expensive set of monitors.
Old 9th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post

Maybe his Events were bass heavy and the flatness of the Focals is a shock.
Yes! I think this sums it up the best.
Old 9th November 2007
Lives for gear

Then again, the Twins are not known as being strong in the low end with some using the Focal Sub with them...
Old 9th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Then again, the Twins are not known as being strong in the low end with some using the Focal Sub with them...
Who wants strong bass? Surly accurate & articulate bass is what's needed?

Adams and many other true "high end" monitors are similar on the bass end, accurate & articulate!

I think we need to start to differentiate between a good set of monitors your local music store will sell you or true professional monitors.
Remember many monitor manufacturers need to sell their products through music stores and to many folks their product will stand out better if it has a "bigger" bass response.
Old 9th November 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:

the only reason to use a sub with the twins is to give you the very bottom octave at a level that hits you in the gut. on their own, i can't imagine anyone describing the bass on the twins as light. i've heard them side by side with s3a's and mm27's and they sit right in between the two in terms of perceived heft.

they do, however, very much require that your room's acoustics be in good shape.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 9th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
the only reason to use a sub with the twins is to give you the very bottom octave at a level that hits you in the gut. on their own, i can't imagine anyone describing the bass on the twins as light. i've heard them side by side with s3a's and mm27's and they sit right in between the two in terms of perceived heft.

they do, however, very much require that your room's acoustics be in good shape.

gregoire
del
ubk
Yes, agreed
Old 9th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
Who wants strong bass? Surly accurate & articulate bass is what's needed?

Adams and many other true "high end" monitors are similar on the bass end, accurate & articulate!

I think we need to start to differentiate between a good set of monitors your local music store will sell you or true professional monitors.
Remember many monitor manufacturers need to sell their products through music stores and to many folks their product will stand out better if it has a "bigger" bass response.
I'm not talking about hyped bass....as in hyped in the typical 100hz range (as example). I'm talking accurate extended bass. The Twins drop off....nothing wrong with that, the Events do too.

Accurate/extended articulate bass is what I mean by strong bass. It's not easy to do and of course your room becomes more of a factor, hence the strong market in nearfields.

Adding the Focal sub and dialing it in correctly turns the twin/sub system into a full range set up...with Strong and accurate (I hope) Bass. w/o the sub it's still fine and for some, they don't need to know what goes on down there as accurately as others, especially if you're hi-passing.

It really sounds like eddie needs to try them in a different room...after they've been broken in. As strange as it might seem eddie, in a different room you might find the Focals stronger in the low end than your Events. It sounds illogical, but trust me on this. Your events might have been resonating a room node at say 100hz (as an example) that peaked that frequency, while the Focals will be resonating your room differently at different nodes. That's why you need to take your monitors out of that room and trying 'em out in different rooms. I doubt very much that your room is perfect, no room is perfect, though some rooms can be designed to eliminate most problems.
Old 9th November 2007
Gear Nut

I think I mentioned this already, but when I was auditioning the Focal Twin6s at AES I was loving the sound and bass response. That is, until I heard them with the Sub6. Then I LOVED them and didn't want to turn it off.

I now have a pair of Twin6s at home without a sub and still love 'em, however the sub adds quite a bit to the low end and someday I hope to add it to the set up. In the mean time, I'm happy as a pig in ****.
Old 10th November 2007
Lives for gear

"accurate" is the point.

it´s not imported how good monitors should be, it´s important how good they are and how good you can work with them.

by now the bass-range is not accurate. when i´m mixing the bass according to their actual range, the mixdown is boomy as hell. noone could work with that or wants to.

we tried them in different rooms and each monitor stand alone.

as i said, im no newbie and tested/heard almost every nearfield monitor in studiowork.

the mids and highs are wonderfully clear and i can hear more details. with a better low- and stereo-picture they would be awesome.

i´m not bashing, i´m nearly crashing
Old 10th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just had Bob Hodas do my room today. I have the Twins for L/R and the Solo for C/LS/RS and the Sub. He tried for 3 hours to get the Sub to integrate with the Twins in a 2.1 config and just couldn't. The Twins just had the best bass extension in my room without the Sub. He said maybe adding stereo subs might have been better...but that was a WAG.
Conclusion... the Twins go low enough without a Sub.

Regards,
Bruce

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search