The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Twin6 BE - Buying tomorrow... your last chance to comment! Studio Monitors
Old 13th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miqer View Post
How far apart you think the twins should be minimum? And what were they designed for. I should use my ears... but they sound just fine all over the place

And how far from the wall?

Both are not mentioned in the manual.

thanks,
Mickey
Spacing wise, form the usual equilateral triangle between your head and the two monitors. If poss try and keep them at least 1m away from any walls. If this isn't possible you may need to tweak the bass cut on the back.
Old 13th October 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
"If you like the bright sound of beryllium tweeters, these active monitors might make for a pleasant departure from the usual suspects." Paul White, Sound on sound...
I thought this is only the case when you first use them brand new. But after 100hrs of breaking them in they are fine.

Eitherway just payed for mine and waiting for them to be delivered can't wait!!!
Old 13th October 2007
Here for the gear

My new twins

Hi all

I´ve had my twins for a week now and I absolutly love them.
I replaced a pair of Genelec S30 with the twins.

At first I had them place on stand in front of the Genelecs that are mounted in the soft frontwall of my CR. I tried to get in touch with Focal to get thier opinion on mounting the focals the same way I had my Genelecs. Since I got no reply from Focal I just took out the Genelecs from the wall and place the focals there. The monitors are placed on sandfilled 35cm concrete tubes that rests directly on the floating concrete floor of the CR.

This made the twins sound even better with an extended lowend.
And the imaging was improved also eventhough I thought it was really good from the beginning.

I´ve done a couple of mixes on them and I never felt like I needed my NS-10. I got all I needed from the twins. I even adjusted a couple of mixes that I felt was finished on my previous monitors.

They need a couple of days burn in to sound right though.

Cheers / Mikael
Old 13th October 2007
Lives for gear

I'm considering selling my mint/ two week old twin 6's to purchase a pair of solo 6's and Focal Sub. If anybody is looking to purchase some twins, please PM me. They have all packaging and are like new. Only a few sessions on them.

Thx,
Evan in Seattle
Old 21st October 2007
Gear Nut

ok... had the Twin6s for almost a week and gotta say... these things are AWESOME.

I got them through calistromusic.com - Craig had them to me 2 days after my check cleared. Calistro doesn't have the generous lending/trial/return policies that some of the other vendors here have, but if you know what you want I HIGHLY RECOMMEND him as a dealer. Super personal service and always a pleasure.
Old 21st October 2007
Quote:
How far apart you think the twins should be minimum? And what were they designed for. I should use my ears... but they sound just fine all over the place

And how far from the wall?

Both are not mentioned in the manual.

thanks,
Mickey
basicly you can start trying to achieve the same distance between the tweeters to the tweeters to your ears.
(perfect triangule rule)

I think a good distance between the tweeters can be around 54 inches(but dependes of the room)
a good way is to put the speakers far from each other and push them both to the center(with a help of 2 friends) and check where the sound is better.

I like to have a distance of at least 50 inches from the wall.
Old 22nd October 2007
Gear Guru

for all you twins lovers out there, i recently fell in love with these boxes all over again.

in the process of moving out of a dedicated room and bringing the essentials into my home, i experimented with setting up the twins vertically and i gotta say, i much prefer how they sound this way. i've got the tweets on the outside, and the l/r switches are reversed. iow, the left speaker is set to 'right' and vice versa.

this puts the mid+bass driver at ear level with the bass driver flying way overhead, which makes the whole sound a lot more midforward than it is with both 6.5's at ear level. it also raises the tweet another 2 inches, so it's not firing straight into my ear; this further shifts the emphasis to the mids.

as an unabashed fan of ns10's and s3a's voicing, i sometimes found myself wishing the twins had a ballsier midrange. they've got plenty of detail, i just wanted them slightly more aggressive. configured this way, i got my wish.

if you've got the itch, give it a try. anyone else got theirs standing up? they look more impressive to me this way too, even the lady had to admit that.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 22nd October 2007
Gear Head

I'm anxiously waiting for delivery of my Focal Twins today! Decided to take the plunge since I've heard such great thing about them. I'm hoping to save some time trying to get mixes to translate well so we'll see how this helps. Now I'm broke again :-(
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfenderaxe View Post
Now I'm broke again :-(
Broke is what being a Slut is all about! You'll luv'em
Old 22nd October 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
for all you twins lovers out there, i recently fell in love with these boxes all over again.

in the process of moving out of a dedicated room and bringing the essentials into my home, i experimented with setting up the twins vertically and i gotta say, i much prefer how they sound this way. i've got the tweets on the outside, and the l/r switches are reversed. iow, the left speaker is set to 'right' and vice versa.

this puts the mid+bass driver at ear level with the bass driver flying way overhead, which makes the whole sound a lot more midforward than it is with both 6.5's at ear level. it also raises the tweet another 2 inches, so it's not firing straight into my ear; this further shifts the emphasis to the mids.

as an unabashed fan of ns10's and s3a's voicing, i sometimes found myself wishing the twins had a ballsier midrange. they've got plenty of detail, i just wanted them slightly more aggressive. configured this way, i got my wish.

if you've got the itch, give it a try. anyone else got theirs standing up? they look more impressive to me this way too, even the lady had to admit that.

gregoire
del
ubk
Hi Gregorie (and the rest)

I got mine standing up and as stated in my last post even mounted in the front wall of my CR. And they sound much bigger than when I had them on stands in front of the wall

Cheers / Mikael

Last edited by MikeJaxx; 22nd October 2007 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: bad spelling
Old 24th October 2007
Lives for gear

I've bought tons of gear from Craig. I'm thinking of picking up some Twin6s by the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GungaDin View Post
ok... had the Twin6s for almost a week and gotta say... these things are AWESOME.

I got them through calistromusic.com - Craig had them to me 2 days after my check cleared. Calistro doesn't have the generous lending/trial/return policies that some of the other vendors here have, but if you know what you want I HIGHLY RECOMMEND him as a dealer. Super personal service and always a pleasure.
Old 24th October 2007
Gear Addict

QUESTION: is a setup with Focal Solo 6s and the Sub going to be better or worse than a setup with just the Focal Twins ?
Old 24th October 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by androne View Post
QUESTION: is a setup with Focal Solo 6s and the Sub going to be better or worse than a setup with just the Focal Twins ?
better... worse... depends... definitely different.

I am running a surround set of solos + sub in the lounge room with a grace 902 for stereo source. It is a really great full range sound. While the theory is that you should be able to integrate the sub to get smooth extension from the sub to the satellites, I just don't feel you realistically achieve this.

In comparison, the twin + sub option... well the low end just sounds a little more solid. The natural extension (and general balance) of the twins just helps it all hang together a little better.

Ok... but back to the question... solos + sub OR twins. I don't want to make that choice... but recommendation is. Go with the twins... add the sub later if you feel you want that little extra down the bottom... its a harder to do it the other way round

Tony
Old 24th October 2007
I think this is a very personal choice...there are many mixers that do not like to use subs...when others love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcause View Post
. I don't want to make that choice... but recommendation is. Go with the twins... add the sub later if you feel you want that little extra down the bottom... its a harder to do it the other way round

Tony
I think this is a good way to look at it if you like subs...
Old 24th October 2007
Reg
Gear Maniac

Twins+Sub

We have the Twins and the Sub6 just for when we feel we need to hear more bottom end in the mix, that is why we got the Sub6.
Old 25th October 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcause View Post
Ok... but back to the question... solos + sub OR twins. I don't want to make that choice... but recommendation is. Go with the twins... add the sub later if you feel you want that little extra down the bottom...

that'd be my recommendation too. the solo's are a killer little speaker, but the twins are a significant step up in terms of detail and resolution, particularly in the mids. and you don't need a sub with them; you may want one, but you can do fine without one (i do).

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 26th October 2007
Lives for gear

On the back is a switch... INPUT -10dv or +4db

Strange enough, it's louder at -10?!

Same for everyone?

-

I also get the feeling they sound better at the loud (-10) setting (with passive volume controller in between)...

But perhaps it's the old more volume allways sounds better thing.

Any opinions?

M.
Old 26th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Same for everyone?

-

I also get the feeling they sound better at the loud (-10) setting (with passive volume controller in between)...

Any opinions?

M.
Oh dear, Shall I tell him or does someone else want to?
Old 26th October 2007
Quote:

Same for everyone?

-

Any opinions?

M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
hehhehheh

Really?????? with the input at -10 db sounds louder?? that is so bizarre!!!hehhehheh

Dear Miger! if you find gear that with the input at +4db sounds louder than -10 db...that is strange!!!!!
Old 26th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
tell me what?!?!

Did I just fail my gearslutz test?

(at least I'm keeping the thread alive)

M.
Old 26th October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post

Have you tried this with the bass driver down lower than ear level instead of up over like you currently have it?
Old 27th October 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaflr2 View Post
Have you tried this with the bass driver down lower than ear level instead of up over like you currently have it?

well, that would require speaker stands that are really short, and the tweeter would end up at chest level.

so no, i haven't tried that .

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 27th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
tell me what?!?!

Did I just fail my gearslutz test?

(at least I'm keeping the thread alive)

M.
The -10dB setting means the input will be expecting an input level of -10dB. So obviously if you are sending a +4dB signal (which most mid to high end gear is) to an input expecting only -10dB its going to sound much louder, and possibly clip the input.

Shhhh listen...... is that the sound of a falling penny?
Old 27th October 2007
Lives for gear

Apologies for the above sarcasm
We're all here to help and learn
Old 27th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Apologies for the above sarcasm
We're all here to help and learn
I've been recording for more than 15 years professionally... haha... and I don't know these things!!!

I love the voice on the demo on your site.

M.
Old 27th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've been recording for more than 15 years professionally... haha... and I don't know these things!!!

I love the voice on the demo on your site.

M.
LOL My Leeds, North English accent dosn't make the best speaking voice. heh
Guess I won't be getting much work for doing voice overs eh!

I should really update that demo. Those tunes have come on a long way since I did that.
Both my audio interfaces died this week though so I'm bloody audio-less until I get them back , which is a bit of a [email protected]#ker as I have loads of work on at the moment both for the charity album and work for other folks
Old 28th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
LOL My Leeds, North English accent dosn't make the best speaking voice. heh
Love the sound of the North... Very hip...

Have you ever been to the usa? Me, I'm from Holland, but I can fake a london-accent a little, or put on an American twang. With the London-accent, they liked me way better! Haha. The sound of the north will go a long way there.

m.
Old 28th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Love the sound of the North... Very hip...

Have you ever been to the usa? Me, I'm from Holland, but I can fake a london-accent a little, or put on an American twang. With the London-accent, they liked me way better! Haha. The sound of the north will go a long way there.

m.
Yeah been to the US a few times. NYC very very cool! Love DC, but really like the small town of Annapolis Maryland. Superb food, bars, and Restaurants. Great crab!. Stayed there a few days while visiting the Paul Reed Smith factory. Wish at the time I'd have know API where so close by, I would have love to have seen their place too.
Hoping to get to Boston & NYC again later next year, maybe for the AES.
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

my Focal Twin´s arrived today! can´t wait to get into my studio. will be testing them against Genelec 1031 and my Event TR8 which are for sale.
Old 7th November 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez View Post
my Focal Twin´s arrived today! can´t wait to get into my studio. will be testing them against Genelec 1031 and my Event TR8 which are for sale.
Eddie, be ready to sale your other monitors!!heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search