The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Twin6 BE - Buying tomorrow... your last chance to comment! Studio Monitors
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm ordering now!

not these twins:

Old 29th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
Having more Focal users.....So this thread will go forever!!!heh
I have also realised my Twin fantasy, and loving the beauteous threesome...heh
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

With all that hype going on since a couple of months slutz with focals might be interested how times were when I noticed the brand, asking around, and a GS-fellow named Fab being the only guy on the board who had a pair of focals.

Focal

Then there were a couple of years with about no mention and now like after a bang their new speakers in affordable range are the shooting star on the monitor skyline.

A snail on a rocket.

Ruphus
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

"If you like the bright sound of beryllium tweeters, these active monitors might make for a pleasant departure from the usual suspects." Paul White, Sound on sound...

This has been said before... is there a hype? An Adam hype yes: Abby Road has even got them...

But focals? Here on GS yes... but most reviews in mag's are on the sm8. Not many on the twins... i've read 2, and they where positive, but not ultra positive.

Also, on this forum I must say a lot (NOT ALL!) of almost aggressive positive feedback on the focals is given by guys who also happen to sell them also. Well, whatever... It's alll good!

m.
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miqer View Post
Also, on this forum I must say a lot (NOT ALL!) of almost aggressive positive feedback on the focals is given by guys who also happen to sell them also. Well, whatever... It's alll good!

m.
Not selling 'em, I'm just using & lovin' em
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
"If you like the bright sound of beryllium tweeters, these active monitors might make for a pleasant departure from the usual suspects." Paul White, Sound on sound...

before i got the focal I was VERY aware of these kind of comments. I HATE bright speakers they make your mixes dull.
So when i plugged my focals I actually checked if i like the highs first, if I would not i would just put them back in the box and send them back .
but as i said the focal are still here heh and I can't imagine to call them bright, they are very clear but not hyped as my dynaudio bm15a.
maybe the reviewer don't have a treated room...
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowswing View Post
paul white allways goes on about auralex in his studio rescue articles...
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
before i got the focal I was VERY aware of these kind of comments. I HATE bright speakers they make your mixes dull.
So when i plugged my focals I actually checked if i like the highs first, if I would not i would just put them back in the box and send them back .
but as i said the focal are still here heh and I can't imagine to call them bright, they are very clear but not hyped as my dynaudio bm15a.
Now I've worked with them a fews week I really don't understand these "bright" & "Hyped Highs" comments. Anyone saying this must either have rooms with hard reflective walls, are deaf or just so used to their closed off-lack-of-detail-and-openess monitors that they won't entertain anything else. No way are they over bright, just crystal clear & open.
Don't argue about it just listen properly and the answer is there
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

I love the high end of the twins. It will immediately show you if your mixes are harsh, but at the same time will show you right away if your mix is dull.

Since getting the twins my mixes have gotten a little brighter AND smoother.

They arent the most enjoyable sounding speaker, but a great mixing tool.
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruphus View Post
With all that hype going on since a couple of months slutz with focals might be interested how times were when I noticed the brand, asking around, and a GS-fellow named Fab being the only guy on the board who had a pair of focals.

Focal

Then there were a couple of years with about no mention and now like after a bang their new speakers in affordable range are the shooting star on the monitor skyline.

A snail on a rocket.

Ruphus
Hi Ruphus
you are always invited to heart the twins in my studio
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet red View Post
I love the high end of the twins. It will immediately show you if your mixes are harsh, but at the same time will show you right away if your mix is dull.

Since getting the twins my mixes have gotten a little brighter AND smoother.

They arent the most enjoyable sounding speaker, but a great mixing tool.
110% Agree

Although I do enjoy listening to other music on them too!
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Ruphus
you are always invited to heart the twins in my studio
Hi Guy,

I´m currently being overseas, but might drop by next time in Berlin.

Also interested in hearing your rooms.
( Shall be building something too, hopefully next year.)

Cheers,

Ruphus
Old 30th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
would you say the same about adams?

i love listening to music on the s3a's, not so much on the 2.5's or anything in the p or a line. s3a's are fun for me, they reveal *and* they sound like music.

bear in mind, i love listening to music on ns10's too, although i can see how that wouldn't be fun for most folks.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
bear in mind, i love listening to music on ns10's too, although i can see how that wouldn't be fun for most folks.

gregoire
del
ubk
heh ok if you like listening to music through NS10 I can see why you love listening to music through S3A - which is totally fine by me

Jo
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear

A friend of mine just went to the Thomann store to listen to the Focals (both solo and Twins), since he needed new monitors for his studio B. And he was almost sure that he would pick one of them. To his surprise and according to his report he found them sounding extremely hyped in highs and mids and as much as he did not like Adams (P11 etc.) very much before, he prefered them all the way side by side to Focals. With KH 0300 standing quite above both in the term of sound quality. So it made him to forget about Focals once forever. So, just another story.
Old 30th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruphus View Post

Focal

A snail on a rocket.

Ruphus
it's not called a "bang", it's called "Gil"hehheh

yeah, product come and go, but my mixes will be bad forever
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear

It's a shame you can't a/b them here in Holland. There is NO dealer. You can order them from Germany and send them back in 30 days.

Focal Proffesional... you should get your product to Holland! feedback.nl/haliod/midi-amsterdam.... one of these!!!
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear

how much is a pair of K&H O300 and a pair of twins?

Jo
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear

k+h (not the d) 1600 for one
twins 1150 for one

including vat

difference in a pair is 850 euro... which is not soo much if you sit behind it every day for the next, say, 8 years...

m.

ps. studiojo, as you are from swiss, have you heard the swiss psi monitors? I thought they were too strait: ultra honest. No hype, a bit dull almost.
Old 30th September 2007
Quote:
ps. studiojo, as you are from swiss, have you heard the swiss psi monitors? I thought they were too strait: ultra honest. No hype, a bit dull almost.
nice HIFI monitors

I am going on a HIFI exebition next week. all the "big guys" will be there. I will take a short not on PSI.

cheers
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear

I heard em a few times but never in my studio - so I can't really comment. All in all I'd agree with George but take it with a saltmine.

Jo
Old 30th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo View Post
I heard em a few times but never in my studio - so I can't really comment. All in all I'd agree with George but take it with a saltmine.

Jo
we can make a shootout at studjo

what about this?
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
A friend of mine just went to the Thomann store to listen to the Focals (both solo and Twins), since he needed new monitors for his studio B. And he was almost sure that he would pick one of them. To his surprise and according to his report he found them sounding extremely hyped in highs and mids and as much as he did not like Adams (P11 etc.) very much before, he prefered them all the way side by side to Focals. With KH 0300 standing quite above both in the term of sound quality. So it made him to forget about Focals once forever. So, just another story.
I actually had the k+H in my studio before the focal and although I got great mixes on them, they always tend to be sounding boring which was a deal breaker for me as i am doing a lot of tracking as well and the k+h just don't have vibes ...
I would take the k+h any day if I use them side by side with another speakers set.
the focal have both great definition and nice ton to listen to.
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
we can make a shootout at studjo

what about this?
I fear they would sound a bit like this next to my SM11

Jo
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
Yeah and I bet Thomann had ideal listening conditions to try them in!
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
Yeah and I bet Thomann had ideal listening conditions to try them in!
I don´t know about it but obviously the conditions were the same for all the speakers there ... I will try to hear them soon anyway
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
it's not called a "bang", it's called "Gil"hehheh

yeah, product come and go, but my mixes will be bad forever
He he he heh

Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

I've spent the last few days mixing on my new Twins, after burning them in for about 50 hours. I'm not quite used to them yet, but I can say a few things. First of all, mixes don't sound finished until they are finished on these speakers. That's very cool. I have them on a Speaker B switch from my board, with Dynaudio BM15 passives and NS10s on a speaker switcher, powered by a Bryston 4B. The Twins seem warm and lacking of midrange compared to my other speakers. This is UNTIL the mix is complete and balanced. The other two speakers sound downright BRIGHT compared to the Focals. I am using the -10 switch on the Focals to get in a similar db ballpark as the other speaks, even though my board is +4 balanced. They are about 15-20 db quieter than the Bryston-powered speaks. I don't think the tweeter is overly bright on the Focals like some have said. Not at all in fact. The low end is quite pronounced, and I might consider trimming the lows down a db or two. I don't think these trims are detented, so this makes me a bit nervous for proper balance. There is lots of full bass down to about 60, but I don't think 6.5" woofers can put out much below that. A concept might be to roll off the lows a bit with these and add the Sub to get the bottom octave, if that wouldn't be too bizarre. At any rate, it will take me a little getting used to the low end. Will post more later...

Evan
Old 12th October 2007
Lives for gear

twins left right

How far apart you think the twins should be minimum? And what were they designed for. I should use my ears... but they sound just fine all over the place

And how far from the wall?

Both are not mentioned in the manual.

thanks,
Mickey
Old 12th October 2007
Gear Nut

I've got a pair on the way, too. Bandwagon jumper? Educated buyer? Tune in next week when...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search