The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Twin6 BE - Buying tomorrow... your last chance to comment! Studio Monitors
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

go man go!

they are pure trueness
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

as I read... I see you've already bought them.

Ok... so... enjoy!

They kick ass!

J.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Poulin View Post
as I read... I see you've already bought them.

Ok... so... enjoy!

They kick ass!

J.
LOL I was just thinking... I've already got them dude heh
Cheers though and yes, luvin 'em
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
a few things come to mind.

second, you're using mix tools to listen back to mastered material; this is not what they're for. their job is to help you build a mix that'll translate to the outside world.

gregoire
del
ubk
In general, my mixes that came out a bit too dull, could be fixed in mastering easy. The balance and feel, was right. So in general studio monitors deliver a great mix that should still be mastered.

Not allways, once you get to know the speaker well, etc...

Is this also your experience?

-

I do a lot of stuff for TV that has no time to be mastered or even listened to in a different room. So... I test them fast on a consumer speaker, and send it off.

I should have some huge PMC mastering speakers off cource... :O Perhaps in a few years...

m.
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have the twins next to my ns10's (powered by a bryston) and think the twins have just as much midrange detail as the focals.

The 10's however have way less top and bottom end making it easier to focus on the mids.

I think the two are a good compliment for each other.
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Got my Focal twin6 few hours a go.
I am currently using bm15a for years in a VERY good treated control room of my pro studio.
I plugged them and heard some music and enjoy very much the stereo image and the amazing mid resolution but they sound to me as if they start to roll off at ca. 100hz!!! comparing them with the bm15a side by side sounded as if they have a highpass switch on.
do they need to break in to get the bass response right ? right now my guts feeling say i can't mix the low end on them...
will try to mix in the next days and will let you know.

PS
who ever claim the tweeter is too bright. I think it's BS ,this speakers have beautiful top with great details.
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowswing View Post
I am currently using bm15a for years in a VERY good treated control room of my pro studio.
I plugged them and heard some music and enjoy very much the stereo image and the amazing mid resolution but they sound to me as if they start to roll off at ca. 100hz!!! comparing them with the bm15a side by side sounded as if they have a highpass switch on.
do they need to break in to get the bass response right ? right now my guts feeling say i can't mix the low end on them...
will try to mix in the next days and will let you know.

PS
who ever claim the tweeter is too bright. I think it's BS ,this speakers have beautiful top with great details.
BM15 to me seem to make the bass sound "bigger" and louder (not really what I want!). If you want the truth to how your bass sounds then the twins are the way to go. They do need a while to break in though. Also try playing with the position and orientation of the twins.

I was using some Genelecs with a genelec sub which actually went lower than the twins, but I'm still getting more accurate results and better translation with the Focals.

Is your worry how low the bass goes on the twins or how loud the bass is?
Old 25th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
That shouldn't be a big surprise considering the big difference in enclosure size and drivers.
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

When I A/B'd the Solo6's with the BM12A's and the K+H O 300D's, the Focals definitely were not producing the lower octaves. Other than that, they sounded great--sweet and lush mids. You probably should add the Sub6 to your setup to get the lower octaves.
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Just an update
I wrote the last post direct after I plugged the brand new focals, they didn't have the lower octave (checked it with pink noise and measurement program) 12 hours later (I left them on with music running the whole time) the bass is there(!) and they sound amazing! I think I'll keep them, next days are mixing dates so there I'll take final decision.
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

Focal Twin vs. JBL LSR6328p

Debating between the Focal Twins and the JBL LSR 6328p (not the cheaper 4328's). I have a bigger room now and my Genelec 8040a's aren't keeping up with the size (clipping the amp). Let me first say that I mainly write music so I want the speaker to be fun to track on and loud enough that we can overdub in the control room. I have heard the JBL's but not the Twins....has anyone here had any experience with both? My genelecs have been fine for me but I need a louder speaker with more lowend. Any thoughts are appreciated!
Old 27th September 2007
Gear Addict

LOVE my Focal Twins!!!
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

Mine are burning in now- been going almost 24 hours at low volume with some full range material. I haven't really opened them up yet, but they sound full and well balanced at low volume.
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdunard View Post
but I need a louder speaker with more lowend. Any thoughts are appreciated!
buget?
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Debating between the Focal Twins and the JBL LSR 6328p (not the cheaper 4328's). I have a bigger room now and my Genelec 8040a's aren't keeping up with the size (clipping the amp). Let me first say that I mainly write music so I want the speaker to be fun to track on and loud enough that we can overdub in the control room. I have heard the JBL's but not the Twins....has anyone here had any experience with both? My genelecs have been fine for me but I need a louder speaker with more lowend. Any thoughts are appreciated!
Being using mine for nearly 2 weeks now and I can't fault them at all! Get the twins
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

I just bought one LSR 6328p online for $300 buck on ebay. It has a slight dent in the dust cover but will be an easy fix if I need to. If I buy one new I will only have about $1300 in the set and if I find another used I will probably only have $1000 into 'em. Who knows it may be a big ball of crap and a waste of $300 but I took the chance. However, I figured If I score a deal on another it will be a great second set of monitors for not much cash. I still want to hear the Focals but I have to find someplace in Nashville to listen. For now I am doing pretty good on my genelec 8040a's.
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just bought one LSR 6328p online for $300 buck on ebay. It has a slight dent in the dust cover but will be an easy fix if I need to. If I buy one new I will only have about $1300 in the set and if I find another used I will probably only have $1000 into 'em. Who knows it may be a big ball of crap and a waste of $300 but I took the chance. However, I figured If I score a deal on another it will be a great second set of monitors for not much cash. I still want to hear the Focals but I have to find someplace in Nashville to listen. For now I am doing pretty good on my genelec 8040a's.
People are selling them individually? That's weird. I think that is probably rare, and it happened only because the guy dinged his and wants to replace just that one speaker?

It's a great deal though--it'll probably be hard to find another speaker indivdually used.

If I didn't get the K+H 300D's, I would've struggled with the same choice between the 6328P's and the Twin6's. I probably would've gone with either the 6328P's + a sub or the Solo6's with the Sub6 though, since the Twins + the Sub6 would've been more than I wanted to spend.
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

I am waiting on it to get here before I buy another JBL LSR 6328p. I want to make sure that it is in good shape minus the dinged dust cover. I am buying a new one at a pretty good deal so total I will have about $1230 into them. I am thinking the guy probably sold off a 5.1 system and is left with one speaker. At this price I can afford to have two monitors which will be nice. I wonder out of the two which has more low end and which will be louder.
Old 28th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think I'll keep them, next days are mixing dates so there I'll take final decision.
Love the look of your studio!!! :O Let us know how your mixes are coming out...
Old 29th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Let me first say that I mainly write music so I want the speaker to be fun to track on and loud enough that we can overdub in the control room.

in all honesty i gotta say the jbl's are loads of fun, very few speakers have such a low mid thwack; it really makes music visceral, warms the heart. the twins are more 'put your specs on and examine the data'. they can be enjoyable to listen to because they reveal so much, but i wouldn't call them fun.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
(the twins) can be enjoyable to listen to because they reveal so much, but i wouldn't call them fun.
ubk
would you say the same about adams?
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miqer View Post
Love the look of your studio!!! :O Let us know how your mixes are coming out...
thanks!
about the focals, I mixed 3 songs in the last days and they all translate very well, i realize what was the "problem" with the bm15a, they are so hard on the upper mids which makes music to sound open and punchy but when you take the mix home it seems dull and too soft, the twins don't have this problem at all and if anything I they have so much info on the low mid so i have to get use to hear so much around there and use it to my advantage making very full sounding mixes
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks!
about the focals, I mixed 3 songs in the last days and they all translate very well, i realize what was the "problem" with the bm15a, they are so hard on the upper mids which makes music to sound open and punchy but when you take the mix home it seems dull and too soft, the twins don't have this problem at all and if anything I they have so much info on the low mid so i have to get use to hear so much around there and use it to my advantage making very full sounding mixes
Cool! glad you're lovin your too!
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

PS Can't believe this thread is still going when it was started the day before I bought the twins to grab some last minute comments.
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miqer View Post
would you say the same about adams?
I know you didn't ask me but I wouldn't heh

Jo
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo View Post
I know you didn't ask me but I wouldn't heh

Jo
Ha! So would you say that Adams are a bit more 'fun'? :O
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

ähem no

btw to some they are fun - and to some they aren't so ...
Old 29th September 2007
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
PS Can't believe this thread is still going when it was started the day before I bought the twins to grab some last minute comments.
this thread will not die until I have mine tooheh
Old 29th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Having more Focal users.....So this thread will go forever!!!heh
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Live the dream dude with the twins lol! heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search