The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Twin6 BE - Buying tomorrow... your last chance to comment! Studio Monitors
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
It's funny seeing people who've never even heard a pair of Focals now recommending them to others based solely on this type of forum advertising.
True! This happen with a lot of gear. Very strange really
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Guru

I got a pair of Solo6's and I love em to death. I can only imagine the Twins would be that much better. I don't know what people are on about saying the the Berylium tweeter is harsh. If anything I think it reveals harshness in your music if it's there.
Old 4th September 2007
Cool feature

Thought I might chime in with a cool feature that the Focal Twins have;

The Left Right Switch on the back, switches the crossover for the Mid and LF driver's. So if the switch on the RIGHT speaker is placed in the RIGHT position, the LF driver is on the outside.

This way, if you decide to run them standing up with the tweeters on the outside, simply invert the switch so the LF driver is on the bottom.

It will all depend on your room, I would try them both ways,

I do prefer them in the standard near field position.

peace
mixwell
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, I was wrong ..... sort of.
When I had a demo set I checked (by ear) to see if both were outputting lows.
They were - which is different from S3a's.
Interesting that rather than a true three way they use this unique setup.
It also explains the very firm 100-200hz they display.
They do not sound like any of the three way systems I have worked with. Not a bad thing imho. They sound like a good 2 way with a firmer, bigger low end. Certainly not the super revealing mids ala ATC or even S3a's. But certainly nothing missing in the mids either. No scoop. Just not the clinical mids usually associated with 3ways.

I'm curious to hear from anyone who has spent time with both the twins and the solo's as to how the low end compares between them.

I have been thinking about what to choose for a second set of monitors (to sit next to my barefoots). The twins were very nice but I'm not sure if they reveal anything different than Barefoots.

Anyone done mixes on both the twins and solo's ???
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
I have been also playing with the tempting Focal Twin idea... Any alternatives in this direction ?
If you mix, the SM8 is the least colored, most accurate reference speaker that Focal makes. Re: the tweeters, they sound beautiful, not scratchy. Plus you do not need a sub.
Old 4th September 2007
I have Solo6s and work in a studio with Twin6s; they are both the most enjoyable monitors I've worked on because I don't feel I'm "hearing the speakers" when I'm listening to them, I'm hearing the music. The monitors become transparent and I'm able to work more quickly and accurately zeroing in on the problems (and the good parts!) of a mix.

Old 4th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
"There's also lots of high-end detail, though to my ears the beryllium tweeters sound a bit 'scratchy' — something I've also noticed with certain other monitors that use titanium tweeters."

I know, it is a matter of taste, but personally I would incline to something with rather soft, silky top end (aluminium tweakers ?). Any alternatives in this direction ?

isedlacek, from everything i've read by you and what i gather from your aesthetics, i think you may actually prefer the sm8 as long as you fed it digitally. the sound of the sm8 is not my cup of tea, i loved the accuracy of it but once i heard the twins i immediately preferred them for their musicality. you, otoh, may actually desire the level of detail the 8's convey.

fwiw, focal uses a beryllium tweeter, not a titanium one, so it weighs 1/5th that of aluminium and is extraordinarily fast. but while the top end is not remotely scratchy, neither is it silky. i would call it airy and forward, not aggressive or zingy like a 1031, it's just undeniably present. personally, i've yet to find a monitor with a silky top that i trust on those freqs; silky to me equals soft, and soft equals slow, which is the opposite of what you need for phase accuracy and detail.

i also think you might like pmc's and atc's for their resolution, have you played with those?

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Cheers guys, all your input is genuinely appreciated.

I'm picking up the phone to order now

I'll report back with a thumbs up or thumbs down in a couple of days!
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Ordered!

Should have them within a couple of days
Old 4th September 2007
SPAM Alert - Solo6 for sale heh
Old 4th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Also wanted to add that monitors are seriously the #1 most personal preference choice you can make in a studio. To each person there is nothing "subjective" about it really...you either get work done on them and can tolerate them for long periods of time mixing or tracking, or you don't. Microphones? Sure you can find a use for any mic. Speakers? They need to feed one specific need on a constant basis that you can tolerate (or if you're lucky, downright enjoy). Having said that, where there's smoke there's fire and if the majority of people are enjoying their Focals then that tells me they are worth checking out...!

War
thumbsup

EXACTLY, SPOT FREAK'N ON!

Great post War.

The only thing I would add to this is that in my view studio speakers are tools. I don't want them to listen to other people's work, I want to use them for my work. No one said this on this thread yet but before they do, don't judge your studio speakers with someone else's mix. Try them out with your mixes and see how they translate. Start with faders down and do a mix from the ground up. If you want to see how the speakers deal with the real world then use a real world test.

For the record I would like to have another pair of speakers in my room just for reference and the Twin6 BE might be in my future but so far my S2A's really put a smile on my face when I take my mixes out of my room. LOVE them, best mixes I have done in my entire career.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Still not arrived
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

I use the Twin 6 (no sub) w/ the Auralex Mopads and they are Great !
after you break them in (about 150-200 hours) you will notice the Focals are not bright but give you a clarity and level of detail that is amazing.I go back and forth asking myself if I need the sub.the low end is very good as it is, but the sub is very tempting..............
congratulations on the choice!
KG
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
I have Solo6s and work in a studio with Twin6s; they are both the most enjoyable monitors I've worked on because I don't feel I'm "hearing the speakers" when I'm listening to them, I'm hearing the music. The monitors become transparent and I'm able to work more quickly and accurately zeroing in on the problems (and the good parts!) of a mix.

Can you give us your experiences with the Solos versus the Twins?

Thanks!
Paul
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

I am thinking to get the twins as well.
I am using dynaudio bm15a for years now, on the paper the dynaudio specs are better (?) am I going to downgrade my set-up by buying the twin6??
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

I had the Solo 6 before I had the Twins, the Solo's are a very fine monitor ,the Twin's have a little more of an immediate presence and breath a little more .Both are excellent monitors but I prefer the Twins.
KG
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowswing View Post
I am thinking to get the twins as well.
I am using dynaudio bm15a for years now, on the paper the dynaudio specs are better (?) am I going to downgrade my set-up by buying the twin6??
Good question. The twins spec for freq response looks great- down to 40hz, but are these specs accurate? What should be expected from a box with (2) 6.5" drivers?

I would assume your BM15 would have more low end, however the twins offer more clarity.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgdrum_nyc View Post
I had the Solo 6 before I had the Twins, the Solo's are a very fine monitor ,the Twin's have a little more of an immediate presence and breath a little more .Both are excellent monitors but I prefer the Twins.
KG
Did you notice a significant increase in low-end with the twins?
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

I've spent quite a few hours with BM15. If you go for the Focal twins it will be like lifting a blanket covering your mixes, Honest!!!!
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaflr2 View Post
Did you notice a significant increase in low-end with the twins?
yes it is more open and feels a bit faster
KG
Old 11th September 2007
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
I've spent quite a few hours with BM15. If you go for the Focal twins it will be like lifting a blanket covering your mixes, Honest!!!!

Have you got them yet? How do they compare to the Dyns?
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Have you got them yet? How do they compare to the Dyns?
They should arrive tues/wed this week.
Old 11th September 2007
Deleted User
Please post your findings. What monitors are you using right now?
Im looking at the Dyns, Adams, and Focals
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Please post your findings. What monitors are you using right now?
Im looking at the Dyns, Adams, and Focals
Will do!

I'm using Genelec 1029 with a 7050 sub at the mo. Don't like them!
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Un-boxing them now
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Woo hoo!
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Unboxing?

Hifi monitors allways need a few days to become what they are... Perhaps also the twins will start to sound better after 200 hours or so...

m.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgdrum_nyc View Post
yes it is more open and feels a bit faster
KG
Open and faster doesn't = more low-end.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Ok, so here we go!

All unboxed and ready to go, so I had a good listen.
First off, I know they don't sound right yet because they need running in but...WOW! They are absolutely superb. The detail in these boxes from top to bottom is amazing and the imaging is some of the best I've heard. There almost seems to be more space in the mixes, like I could fit another guitar part slightly over there or maybe send those BVs to that space.

With regards to the rumour that they are over bright, rubbish! A big lot of rubbish. This isn't over brightness its just a superb high-end openness and clarity. I tried the new KRK Expose before going for the Focals, I found those detailed but quite bright. Compared to something like BM15s its like taking that blanket you've had over them for all those years off, da daa, clear open top end!

I've only listen to a few of my favourite CDs so far but already you can more clearly hear where compression has been used/over used. I listened to a Joss Stone song from her first album and then one from her second and it was like wow, that second song was really heavily compressed compared to the first. I've not heard them in that much detail before.

Early days obviously but lovin' em so far. Oh and the BM15 brigade, Ditch em

PS need to get some MoPads though!
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

I had the BM-15p and now got the Twins and got to say I love them. I´m not missing anything in the lows, it`s really just tight in a superb waythumbsup
When I first turned them on I was surpised of how much compression on vocals I was able to hear, that I was confused. I first thought there must be something wrong with this monitors, ´cause I wasn`t used to hear it that clear. Now I got them for a few weeks and checked my Dynaudios last week to sell them and the difference was really like night and day , much more detail by the Twinsheh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search