The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Twin6 BE - Buying tomorrow... your last chance to comment! Studio Monitors
Old 10th May 2008
Lives for gear

I have two pair of s3a and one pair of Focal Twins in three different rooms. Despite the acoustical differences of each room, the focals are much more accurate to me. I just cannot get used to the brightness of the s3a. I have another room with A7s and i swear I think i like those monitors more than the s3as. But to me, the focals beat them all in areas such as translation and also fatigue.
YMMV.
Old 10th May 2008
I thought the poster bought the monitors already? heh
Old 12th May 2008
Gear Head

what's the best price on a pair of focal twins these days? are they still running around $3k a pair or are there vendors who are selling under this price?

i'm looking to get a pair to replace my adam a7s.
Old 13th May 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancekid View Post
so did anyone compare the twins to the s3a ? is there a big difference or not as they have nearly the same built ?

I'm mainly doing electronica and dance stuff so i need a proper low end.

the two speakers couldn't be more different in spectral balance. adams are light below 100hz, twins have plenty of meat down there for use without a sub, although a sub is incredibly fun with either monitor.

s3a's give you a mid-forward presentation and eerily deep image. they reveal everything but they're like a surgical laser from 400-800hz, and 4-6k; that's first order harmonics and lower treble, which ime allows me to really hear the 'character' of the production, to know what the energy level is, and to suss the hardness/softness/texture of the sounds. translation is 100% reliable, learning curve is minimal: balancing is intuitive, eq'ing requires you to learn their voicing.

twins give a more balanced presentation across the spectrum with a slight mid scoop and a pronounced push in the extreme top, and they have a very wide image. they have extraordinary detail with hot spots at 100-300hz, and 8-14k. that's fundamentals and air, which ime allows me to sort out masking and create incredible clarity and separation; ambiences and verbs are slightly clearer than s3a's. they do not, imo, reveal the character and texture of sounds as well as the adam's, especially grit and edge. translation is also 100%, minimal learning curve: eq'ing is intuitive, balancing requires you to learn their voicing.

hope that helps.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 13th May 2008
Gear Maniac

thanks man, i think i'll try the twins against the adams. somehow the adams don't seem to be my cup of tea, very early ear fatigue here. everything from others sounds great through them but if i mix my own stuff the results seem to be too soft on other speakers. especially in the midrange fast transients always seem to be too much for me so i reduce them wich makes the mixes too soft.

guess that's because i'm still used to the bm15a which sound completely different.

as said, i know that the adams are not that popular in the electronic/techno area but i thought i just try them which went wrong. I'll get a pair of the twins to compare now...
Old 20th June 2008
Lives for gear

Just keeping this thread alive.

To quote myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by miqer View Post

I also get the feeling they sound better at the loud (-10) setting (with passive volume controller in between)...

But perhaps it's the old more volume allways sounds better thing.

Any opinions?

M.

Now a year later, to some ears the twins seem to have a wider stereo image (or at least different) at -10 db then at +4 db, this thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...ml#post2249282
Old 20th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miqer View Post
Just keeping this thread alive.

To quote myself:

Now a year later, to some ears the twins seem to have a wider stereo image (or at least different) at -10 db then at +4 db, this thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...ml#post2249282
Old 21st June 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown View Post
what's the best price on a pair of focal twins these days? are they still running around $3k a pair or are there vendors who are selling under this price?

i'm looking to get a pair to replace my adam a7s.
i'm curious about this as well. i'd absoltuely love to get a pair and could swing pretty close to 3k, but that's pushing it.

it's a good sign when nobody ever seems to ebay these things, though.
Old 22nd June 2008
Lives for gear

They are made in France, so in dollars the price might have gone up. Why not check a shop like Mercenary Audio - Focal Twin6 Be Monitor, Pair
Old 31st December 2008
Gear Head
Keeping the Focal Twin6 myth alive...

Hi Miqer,
Well, did you figure it out yet about the -10 /+4 difference? There is much literature on the web about this and many other interesting technical subjects. Some of it is a bit too basic that it's practically inevedible not not to learn about it when sound engineering, and this is one of the subjects.

The reason -10 sounds "better" to you might be caused by a impedance mismatch that colors the sound slightly, for the better to your ears. Or perhaps giving the sound a slight touch of something that is just missing or to much in the room acoustics. Anyway, output=+4 then input must also be +4, period. Otherwise it is comparing apples with pears (hallo Nederlanders!)

But by now, you probably think why al this lecturing dfegad- crap here.....
Because it's gonna be +1 for the Twin6 fanclub in a couple of days: yep, me!

Was in doubt till the last second to choose between the Solo and the Twin, but because the money was not the real issue any more *) I just went for the 3-way version. I did not have a chance to test them in my particular room, but compared them elsewhere with Genelecs, Dynaudios, Mackies (not bad that new MkII one) which were usually a bit cheaper... But I just wanted to have an absolutely fantastic pair of monitors that would not get in the way between me and great sounding mixes, so I thought what the heck, let's have the Twins.

Love a lot of the stuff Focal makes in general, remembering the first time I heard their reversed dome tweeter in the 80's I was totally in love with.

Thanks everybody (well almost) for posting all this helpful info on this thread! Another for the starter - do not take it too personal, it could be anybody not? thumbsup

* Buying them in the UK with the Pound vs. Euro = 1:1 rate saved me a fortune.

Last edited by CaptPicard; 31st December 2008 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: typo mumbo jumbo... HELLO FOLKS!! Yes, first post ever here!
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

i recently heard the solos in a demo room. Maybe not good positioned but the bass was too thick and sloppy compared to S3A (very tight and defined) and PMC TBS2A (slim but still deep and well defined). The Solos sounded almost like Hifi. Nice to listen to. Are they so bad?

Quote:
I have two pair of s3a ... too bright
Not in my experience.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

yeah the Adams and PMCs are THAT bad

yes I read your post in the right manner
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Ive got the twins in my studio. Amazing speakers. Cant fault them in fact. My mixes have gone up several huge notches since getting them. I can hear into reverb tails, do tiny eq changes and more without fatigue and they are like an accurate magnifying glass.

The low end is superb, even without the sub and i can def hear right into the sub freq spectrum.

Best speakers ever.

Really
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Head

Amazing monitors. I switched to the Focal Twins from Genelec 8040s. I was very nervous about switching. I tried Adams, DynAudios and some others. They are just the best....THE KEY IS you HEAR every single bit of distortion. You just can't get that with other speakers.

They do need a few weeks of breaking in.. They will shock you at how bright they are. Don't be alarmed, it's all good.

My combo - Focal Twins, Yamaha NS-10s and a TV ( I do alot of TV work) ---> all through Dangerous Monitor ST.
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Nut

I get my Twins tomorrow. This thread has me pretty excited, lots of great info here. I hope I can get some sleep tonight. heh
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloanlogic View Post
They will shock you at how bright they are. Don't be alarmed, it's all good.
no good
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

I love mine. They make some great mixes.
Old 30th August 2009
F5D
Lives for gear

I have a question about the twins. How well are they packed, how much damping etc? Do they survive UPS handling? I cannot listen to or pick them up because no store has them for sale around here.

These would be for nearfield monitoring of electronic music. Not much need for loud levels or heavy bass but I want an accurate and clear sound already at low levels, especially mids and treble and that the character of the basslines can be heard clearly. After having Dynaudio BM15's, I want monitors with smaller woofers to get clearer mids.
Old 31st August 2009
Gear Head
Hi F5D,

Mine came with UPS (or similar, just cannot remember clearly) from Thomann, send just using the big original carton boxes (per monitor b.t.w.). They are sturdy enough with plenty of damping material. Mind you, take care when unpacking, the speaker side has no protection whatsoever! I mean, watch out when you would grab them. Taking off the tweeter protection was a challenging job, pretty silly piece of plastic covering the Be beauty. I actually needed a plier. Then watch out not to bounce back!

Sorry for sounding like a 'dad' .... but as a summary: go ahead.
Lots of fun working with 'm!!
Old 31st August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
the two speakers couldn't be more different in spectral balance. adams are light below 100hz, twins have plenty of meat down there for use without a sub, although a sub is incredibly fun with either monitor.

s3a's give you a mid-forward presentation and eerily deep image. they reveal everything but they're like a surgical laser from 400-800hz, and 4-6k; that's first order harmonics and lower treble, which ime allows me to really hear the 'character' of the production, to know what the energy level is, and to suss the hardness/softness/texture of the sounds. translation is 100% reliable, learning curve is minimal: balancing is intuitive, eq'ing requires you to learn their voicing.

That is a very good summary and exactly what I feel about the Adam A7. They are very revealing of the source material.
Old 31st August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
That is a very good summary and exactly what I feel about the Adam A7. They are very revealing of the source material.
yeah. Focals are very nice in your living-room! I put a pair of SM8 there for listening a bit with friends..
Old 31st August 2009
F5D
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPicard View Post
Hi F5D,

Mine came with UPS (or similar, just cannot remember clearly) from Thomann, send just using the big original carton boxes (per monitor b.t.w.). They are sturdy enough with plenty of damping material. Mind you, take care when unpacking, the speaker side has no protection whatsoever! I mean, watch out when you would grab them. Taking off the tweeter protection was a challenging job, pretty silly piece of plastic covering the Be beauty. I actually needed a plier. Then watch out not to bounce back!

Sorry for sounding like a 'dad' .... but as a summary: go ahead.
Lots of fun working with 'm!!
Thank you for the info! You can never be too careful.

Actually I had just ordered a pair of Adam S2.5A's but after reading GS some more, still managed to pull the order and will probably order a pair of twins instead. Maybe the adams would have been closer to the bm15's that I just sold, compared to the twins. I don't really need monitors with such large woofers. I guess I would be fine with the solo's too but they are not in stock and everybody seems to prefer the twins. Will order tomorrow.
Old 31st August 2009
Gear Head
The Twin's move more air then the Solo's and therefore have just more balls if you need to crank it up now and then. But if I did not have that last bit to spend on the extra, I could have worked fine with the Solo's for sure. I have worked with BM15A's (!) for a while, great piece of gear to work with, but made my ears fatigue too soon on an average day. And did not sound so open and spacious as the Twin's!
A better competitor for me was Blue Sky's System One 2.1, but I did not ever regret the I went for the Focal route. A dream would be to have a 5.1 set with 1 more twin, 2 solo's and a sub - but my current room's just not big enough I guess.

O, just looked at the boxes I kept just in case (warranty stuff), and the UPS-labels were stiil on them.
Old 10th September 2009
F5D
Lives for gear

Just got the twins in studio. Very nice build quality, my pair was totally flawless. They aren't even broken in yet but I can already hear that they are amazing monitors. IMO the sound is not bright at all in my well treated room. I have the settings flat. Instead they are very neutral and revealing, good bass extension. The sound is super clean, like no distortion at all. At first the stereo image was somehow collapsed and messy but then I decreased the toe in and suddenly everything came alive. The right amount of toe in for me seems to be that I can just slightly see the inner side surfaces, the "midrange" being the inner woofer. I have them positioned horizontally. I am not a fan of using monitors like that but that's the way I put them first and it seems to work well. The focal hype is well-deserved. These are very clear sounding monitors and I bet my mixing will be alot easier from now on.

Btw, the noise problem was not a problem at all for me. When I put the monitors on the very first time this was the first thing I checked. The noise can be heard when you're very close to the monitors, like 50cm and nothing else is on in my room but when I turn on my (silent) mac under the desk, I don't hear any noise from about 1.7-m distance (even without the mac on). If I should compare the noise to something, I could say that these put out maybe 2dB more noise than Yamaha MSP7's.
Old 10th September 2009
Gear Head
I'm glad to hear you like 'm too, F5D! Indeed, correct room treatment IS very important, as always.

I probably have to re-break mine in for the 2nd time, having them stowed away for a while now (rebuilding my single room studio). Can't wait...
Old 5th December 2009
Gear Head

Hi,

Thread still going. I am a film composer. Was looking at the Adams P11a, Focal Twins or Solos. Wish I could afford the Twins but I think I am leaning to the Solos.

I heard the Twins and Solos switching A/B last month. Both were great. No fatigue. I ended up listening to the Twins more. A little more bass and all instruments come out a little more than Solos. However, that being said, there wasn't a whole lot of difference between the two. Perhaps a sub with the Solo will do for me. Anyone know a good place to get either the Twins or Solos cheap? Thanks
Old 5th December 2009
Gear Nut

It seems like most places sell for around the same price; $1595 each for twins. Dave at Sweetwater has always treated me very well, he's at extension 1271. I have the Twins, and just got the sub6. I always thought they were lacking a bit below 80hz, but now with the sub, this system sounds amazing. If you work with bass-heavy music, and regardless of which monitors you go with, I'd recommend getting a sub. Just make sure your room is well treated, and take lots of measurements until you get the sub placed correctly.

I'm liking these monitors more and more every day.
Old 5th December 2009
Gear Head

Thanks Wiglad,

My local Guitar Ctr. can get the Focals even though they don't carry them. I THINK I am leaning towards the Solos then eventually getting a Sub. If I have extra $, I would get the Twins. I collect soundtracks.

Still might get the Adams P11a. Love how the instruments come out clean but I heard them with some CDs with very low bass notes. They didn't cut the grade. They shutted off. The low bass was too much for them. Same with the S3As. They woofers made a popping sound. The guy at Guit. Ctr was suprised and didn't want me to play those CDs again. I can see why. I am sure if I got a sub with the Adams they would be fine.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search