The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Twin6 BE - Buying tomorrow... your last chance to comment! Studio Monitors
Old 26th November 2007
Gear Addict

Bad form to say they are rubbish old chap. Maybe they are not to your taste but that doesn't make you the arbiter of good taste.

I don't like eggs. Doesn't mean they are rubbish.

Incidentally, I intend to compare the Focals to the K+H system. Whichever one I prefer does not automatically render the other rubbish!
Old 26th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marineville View Post
Bad form to say they are rubbish old chap. Maybe they are not to your taste but that doesn't make you the arbiter of good taste.

I don't like eggs. Doesn't mean they are rubbish.

Incidentally, I intend to compare the Focals to the K+H system. Whichever one I prefer does not automatically render the other rubbish!
Exactly, well said!
Old 26th November 2007
Lives for gear

k+h attacks the focal... focal, trapped in the corner...
"We are k+h, and we are way more straight then you!"
"But..."
"You are Frensh hifi-****! I will call you fifi!"
"But..."
"I am honest over the whole spectrum! And I am great for electronic music... for I am very expensive and shiny, and I am K+H... and you are Fifi!"
"Well I dare you to post one of you mixes, so we can have a listen..."
"..."
Old 27th November 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teex View Post
Hi all,

I've made my final decision between the Dynaudio Air 6, and the Focal Twin 6. So what would you suggest i should go for?
I have sold Twin 6be's to clients that had Air 6, Adam etc.. They kept the twins and sold there original speakers after their own in house comparison.

I have a pair of Demo SM8's for a great price if you want to up the ante. Of course, it might make this thread stop then.
Old 27th November 2007
Gear Addict

After listening Genelecs, Dynaudio Air 6 ,Adam, Tannoy Eclipse...

I have to say that I liked some of them a lot...but after I listened the Focal Twin 6Be I felt like a total idiot spending much more money in some of the other monitors.....that was very silly...so I got the Twins and love them!!
Old 27th November 2007
Gear Nut

Try before buying...

I don't like those focal Monitor. I did a mix one time on a big system with 2 subs. I don't remember the model but I was very disapointed. I finished my mix on headphone...terible!!!
My monitor are PMC IB2-SA.
It's my opinion... Don't buy Focal or try it before.
Old 27th November 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogamik View Post
I don't like those focal Monitor. I did a mix one time on a big system with 2 subs. I don't remember the model but I was very disapointed. I finished my mix on headphone...terible!!!
hahahahaha! 2 subs!!!! that is a great system for disaster!!! regarldless the monitors!!!!

go and study the basics!!!!!
Old 27th November 2007
Gear Addict

Fuel - easy man - everyone's allowed an opinion and shouldn't feel they will get virbally assaulted if there's doesn't happen to agree with yours.
Old 27th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel View Post
hahahahaha! 2 subs!!!! that is a great system for disaster!!! regarldless the monitors!!!!

go and study the basics!!!!!
That blanket statement is wrong. If set up properly in a well treated room, it will be quite the opposite.

The key is setting it up properly....much harder to do with subs, that's the problem.

Focal's subs are designed to make this easier to do, so they do have a better chance of working in this manner.
Old 27th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
That blanket statement is wrong. If set up properly in a well treated room, it will be quite the opposite.
Agreed! Many mastering suites have a 2 top 2 sub systems and you don't get much more accurate monitoring than at those places.
Old 27th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
so where did you check them? I might be able to tell you what speakers they were

Jo
Old 27th November 2007
Here for the gear

Trying out a pair next week!

I'm getting a pair of twins next week to check out for a while... I heard these a few places and liked what I heard thus far. I need to see how they will do in my own "space". Currently my main monitor is the Genelec 1031s pretty much because I just know this speaker, but even "knowing" them like I do, I can help but imagine there is something way better out there. The twins seem to fit that bill without the big bill. heh
Old 27th November 2007
Lives for gear

If anyone in the Pacific NW wants to hear what a properly set up 5.1 Focal system sounds like in an acoustically correct environment, give me a call to arrange for some listening time.

Regards,
Bruce
Old 27th November 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo View Post
so where did you check them? I might be able to tell you what speakers they were

Jo
It was FOCAL SM11 + 2 SM11S (3000W SYSTEM)
Old 27th November 2007
Gear Nut

fuel... no words...

working with the twins for about 3 weeks lets me say they´re really hard to work with. every project is different and the twins have to be learned completely new. the mixes are not as good by now which was with every new monitors.

but the detail they are giving is excellent. hope to get used to them soon.
Old 28th November 2007
Gear Addict

First let me say that I am a musician and not an engineer and that I've been using Genelec 1030s with a 1094 sub up until recently.

I've now got a pair of Focal Twins here with the Sub6, alongside a pair of Klein + Hummel 0300Ds with the 0800 sub. First impressions are that the K+Hs are more forgiving of my room and so sound more balanced. The Focals sound wide open but you have to be right in the sweet spot. The K+H sweet spot is much wider.

The Twins are a lot louder than the K+Hs but I set up the volume control on my Dangerous Monitor ST to compensate for this.

Tonally I find both systems to be very similar and very pleasing, although the K+Hs seem to integrate with their sub a lot better than the Focals do with theirs (I need to tweak that a bit more as the controls are really very sensitive!). This tonal closeness surprises me since the K+H are sealed boxes and the Focals are ported. The vocal seems to be more front and centre on the K+H to my ears as well.

I'd also say that I find the Focals more Rock and Roll than the K+H with the Focals sounding more like they want you to throw big guitars and drums at them. The K+H seem flatter and more refined to me, and depending on your viewpoint this is either a good or a bad thing. Personally I like that flatness. Both sets of speakers really allow you to see right into the mix though and both really show up bad mixes so I tried a mix on the Focals that I had previously completed on the K+H and found myself using different eq. The mixes from both sets of speakers translated very well though but I think I would give the K+H mix the edge overall. On the other hand I've had the K+Hs here for a couple of weeks and the Twins have just moved in so I need to get used to them.

Without the subs the K+H sound to me as if they go lower, although the Focals go pretty low too. This again is quite surprising since the K+Hs are a lot smaller than the Twins and weigh far less. Having said that I could certainly work on the Twins without the sub, it's just that I like the security of knowing what's going on 'down there'. I also tried them upside down as suggested in the manual but that didn't work for me.

Overall I like the Twins very much. They are identical too but you can tell them apart by the little switches on the back marked 'left' and 'right'.

This was a first impressions report - will post back when I've played with them both a lot more.

As I say, I'm not an engineer so please excuse the non technical language!
Old 1st December 2007
Gear Addict

loud burn in

I did not burn in my twins right... I left them on with loud music for 2 days... not really loud, but pretty loud bass heavy music. They seem to still work fine... they sound really good, to my ears... Clear spectrum.

What sort of effect could this loud burning-in have? Can it be that they sound less good now? What freq's? Or am I in the clear? They seem like really strong monitors...

:O
Mickey
Old 1st December 2007
amd
Lives for gear

I really don't understand this burning stuff. My Focal twins sound great from the first time I pulled them out of the box and after six weeks they still sound the same! Anyone feel the same way?
Old 1st December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd View Post
I really don't understand this burning stuff. My Focal twins sound great from the first time I pulled them out of the box and after six weeks they still sound the same! Anyone feel the same way?
My surround system sounded great right out of the box. I had a Focal rep visit over the weekend and he told me they will obtain optimal sound ~500hr. I've probably got about 200hr on them now and can truely say, they're getting better every day. I do not ever see me upgrading to another brand. They're that good!

Regards,
Bruce
Old 2nd December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd View Post
I have to be honest, I agree. I was very pleased with the out of the box and a month or so later I'm still very pleased with them but I haven't noticed any sudden "wow, hear that! Now they're burnt in!"
Old 2nd December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
I have to be honest, I agree. I was very pleased with the out of the box and a month or so later I'm still very pleased with them but I haven't noticed any sudden "wow, hear that! Now they're burnt in!"
for me it was very clear, out of the box they didn't have bass it sounds like high pass at 100hz I also confirmed it with pink noise and measurement program.
after few hours it started to be there slowly and after a bit more than 24 hours it get to where it is now
Old 2nd December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowswing View Post
for me it was very clear, out of the box they didn't have bass it sounds like high pass at 100hz I also confirmed it with pink noise and measurement program.
after few hours it started to be there slowly and after a bit more than 24 hours it get to where it is now
Maybe mine were used for the Focal factory Christmas party disco last year before shipping!

That would explain the party popper paper string inside the box!heh
Old 4th December 2007
Gear Nut

Regarding 'burning in' , and for what it's worth, I used to sell the high end Focal domestic range (using Beryllium tweeters) right up to the Grand Utopia and I can honestly say that whenever we set up a brand new pair the imaging left alot to be desired. Everything was just coming from everywhere, barely any separation of elements within mixes. The ritual was to leave them playing overnight for a couple of weeks before allowing client auditions to be conducted.

But then...ahhh....lovely. Truly a huge difference, and this was a consensus amongst 6 employees of our store and the result was the same every time with every new pair of (Beryllium based) Focals.
Old 4th December 2007
Gear Nut

mine were demos with full warranty, but my ears have to get used to them...so I just burned them inheh
Old 4th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
It was FOCAL SM11 + 2 SM11S (3000W SYSTEM)

If they sounded as you described, something should be extremely wrong with the room, placing, wiring or whatever.
They are excellent monitors by any standards
Old 5th December 2007
Lives for gear

ditto - best speaker I ever heard (without sub - it's beyond me why anyone on earth wants that sub - if you need a PA buy an EAW stack)

Jo
Old 13th February 2008
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD_Mastering View Post
If anyone in the Pacific NW wants to hear what a properly set up 5.1 Focal system sounds like in an acoustically correct environment, give me a call to arrange for some listening time.

Regards,
Bruce
DSD,

You have a VERY nice set-up. I was wonderring why you choose the Twin6 BE over the higher model Focals?
Old 13th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_AmTraX View Post
DSD,
You have a VERY nice set-up. I was wonderring why you choose the Twin6 BE over the higher model Focals?
I have a good friend that has the Focal Utopia's in a 5.1 system and I just loved the sound.
I was at AES last October and Focal had the exact same set-up that you see in my room and I knew instantly that I wanted the same thing.
I haven't looked back since!

Regards,
Bruce
Old 13th February 2008
Gear Addict

I sold my 8030 genelecs. I told the guy that wanted them he shouldn't buy them, but he insisted. I still feel sorry for him.

(this thread is alive!)
Old 20th February 2008
Gear Addict

I know a lot of Focal Twin users are reading this thread. I have a problem with my focals. Every time I switch them on I hold my breath. 1 out of 10 or 20 times the light does not go on and I have to replace the fuse. Other than that they work fine... ?!

I have never had this problem with any other equipment.

Both Focals have it (not at the same time), even when I put them on a different... ehhh, how to say this in English... I have 2 main power supplies in the room, even if one is on one, and the other on the other... still one of them might have it. I don't get it.

I have used up 15 fuses in 4 months... !? Anyone have this problem?

I'm in Amsterdam Holland where power is very steady.

thanks,
mickey

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search