The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help On Ak-47 Condenser Microphones
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Nut

Help On Ak-47

I've been reading posts on the Tele AK-47 and M16, but I'm still a little confused. I know that the M-16 is said to be U67ish, but is it the concensis of the group that the AK-47 is a 47ish like mic (hence the number) or something entirely different and that is just a number Telefunken stuck on it? It seems some say yes and some don't really say one way or the other. I was thinking about the AK-47, but own a Pearlman TM-1 and don't want to repeat that flavor at this time.
Could someone give me just a little more clarity. Also if anyone gets a chance to really compare Dave Pearlman's new U67ish like mic and Tele's M16 could we hear your thoughts. I'm interested in adding the U67ish flavor to my mic locker next year.

Thank you
James R.
Old 4th September 2007
member no 666

Neither are either... the AK-47 is it's own mic... it's not a clone, it's not a knockoff, it's not a replica of a U-47 or any other mic... it is it's own being. Same with the M-16.

The main difference between the two is the amplifier. The AK-47 uses a very small sized tube [about the size of an AC-701/k like you'd find in an M49 or M-50 or KM-54, etc.] the M-16 uses a 6386 tube [like a U-67 but that is where the similarities end].

Because of each of these amplifier designs the microphones sound very unique and very different from each other. The AK-47, because of it's smaller and therefore faster tube has a silkier "airier" top end... the M-16 is very clear with a very solid midrange that in some ways is reminiscent of a U-67 but it really is a different beast.

They're great mics that are in nearly constant use at our joint... but they were an addition to the collection, not a replacement.

I hope this makes sense.

Peace.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Nut

A Thank You

Hi Flecther,

I really want to thank you for the valuable information and clarification you gave me on the AK-47 and M16.
For the reasons you stated this opens up a whole new range of sonic possibilities, the most important being, no flavor repeats.
I have one last question if you don't mind. I've heard the 6386 tube (M16) is getting hard to find. Do you think that could be a potential problem in the future, when considering any possible tube failure and replacement?
Once again, thank you for your valuable time and info, it is much appreciated. Since you have hands on experience with them that makes your input even more valuable. I'm in a small town and can only hear them through sales/7 day demo return arrangement.

James R.
Avian Studios
(we're for the birds)
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Maniac

My guess is Fletcher misspoke/miswrote about the tube in the M16. According to the T-Funk USA web site, the M16 uses a 6072a and the AK47 uses an EF732. Has there ever been a tube mic that uses a 6386 as its impedance converter?

Rick
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

I've heard both mic's and prefered the 47 over the m16 for vox but a friend used an m16 on a guitar cabinet and it was just the right sound. The 47 is very smooth and silky sounding, nice and bright too.

Both good mic's.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

Hi Rick,

I don't believe that I have heard of any other mic using that tube. I thought that tube was used mostly in tube processors. I think the Fairchilds used that tube. I also thought Greg at Pendulum use them for his ES-8. But I could be mistaken on that.
Assumming (I hate that word) all the paramerters of the 6386 would suite usage in a mic, could a mic be designed around that tube? Would this be feasible, desirable, and cost effective if the tube is hard to find? (as I've heard)
Could there, or would there be any obvious sonic advanatages and flavors to such a concept or design?
If Flecther miswrote the tube used in the M16, that's alright, because the info he gave on the power supply's, and his hands on experience involving the sonic differeneces is still very valuable.
Thanks for your input, it's appreciated.

James R.
Avian Studios
(we're for the birds)
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

Hi Heathen,

Thanks for you for your observations on the Ak-47 and the M16. I really appreciate your input. They both sound like very desirable tools to have. I have been able to make some great equip. purchases due to the experiences, thoughts and observations offered by those here on the group.
I know actually hearing them is the best thing but that is not always possible.
Thanks again.

James R.
Avian Studios
(we're for the birds)
Old 5th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricknroll View Post
According to the T-Funk USA web site, the M16 uses a 6072a and the AK47 uses an EF732.
This is the correct information.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

What about a Glock?

*ducks*
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks Nathan for the added input.

James R.
Old 5th September 2007
member no 666

Sorry!!

My bad.

Head up ass syndrome.

I meant 6072 which is a dual triode used in audio amplifiers where the 6386 is almost exclusively used for it's smooth remote shutoff capability in a gain reduction circuit. The Pendulum 6386 used the 6386 tube... the ES-8 uses 6es8 tubes.

Second correction is that the 6072 is what's used in a C-12 not a U-67... I was trying to be cute and use the 6____ designation for the EF-86 which is the tube you'll find in the U-67... I was mistaken on which tube they were using.

Sadly, I probably don't pay as much attention to what's in this **** as I should [I just care what comes out of the XLR connector for the most part]... and I probably shouldn't do this stuff when on pain killers.

Last Monday evening a bee flew up the sleeve of my jacket while I was out riding and stung the **** out of my left arm... turns out, I'm allergic to bee stings... so my left arm looked like it belonged to Popeye while I'm on a internal steroids to reduce the swelling, Benadryl to calm the itching and Percocet because it really hurt like a motherfvcker [and I really like being whacked on Percs].

3rd time I've been stung this summer and every time the reaction gets a bit worse... so now I'm the proud owner of my very own "EpiPen" which I'm supposed to jab into my leg next time I get stung as it'll buy me about 30 minutes to get to an emergency room. Totally sucks.

Peace.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Last Monday evening a bee flew up the sleeve of my jacket while I was out riding and stung the **** out of my left arm... turns out, I'm allergic to bee stings... so my left arm looked like it belonged to Popeye while I'm on a internal steroids to reduce the swelling, Benadryl to calm the itching and Percocet because it really hurt like a motherfvcker [and I really like being whacked on Percs].

3rd time I've been stung this summer and every time the reaction gets a bit worse... so now I'm the proud owner of my very own "EpiPen" which I'm supposed to jab into my leg next time I get stung as it'll buy me about 30 minutes to get to an emergency room. Totally sucks.

Peace.
**** Fletcher exactly the same thing happened to my Mum on her bike last year (she's got a Buell Thunderbolt) same with the reaction and all, each time she gets stung it gets worse. Bee went up her sleeve stung her and she nearly passed out.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. View Post
Hi Heathen,

Thanks for you for your observations on the Ak-47 and the M16. I really appreciate your input. They both sound like very desirable tools to have. I have been able to make some great equip. purchases due to the experiences, thoughts and observations offered by those here on the group.
I know actually hearing them is the best thing but that is not always possible.
Thanks again.

James R.
Avian Studios
(we're for the birds)
No worries.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Second correction is that the 6072 is what's used in a C-12
Along with the "E"xport version of the classic Telefunken Ela M 251.

As far as rarity of certain tubes go, we have plenty of both 6072a and EF-732 tubes here in our warehouse, so we shouldn't be running out of them any time soon.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

Hi Flecther,

No worries, and thanks for the correction. I knew Greg used that tube in one of his units.
I also hope you get to feeling better. I know how dangerous being stung can be.

James R.
Avian Studios
(we're for the birds)
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

Hi Tony

Thanks for the update on the availibility of those 2 tubes.

James R.
Avian Studios
(we're for the birds)
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Nut

Hi Fletcher,

I just noticed I spelled your name wrong at least three time. MY BAD.
I humbly apologize for my mistake. I hope I don't lose my Gear Interested status.
I'm actually a Geraslut but haven't received my Slut status yet.
Have a great day and get well.

James R.
Avian Studios
(we're for the birds)
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi Tony

Thanks for the update on the availibility of those 2 tubes.

James R.
Avian Studios
(we're for the birds)
Um... the name is "Ian." I figured I should let you know.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

I recently bought a AK47, I could compare it with a Peluso 2247le and I went for the AK47.
It sounds fantastic on my voice through the Pacifica, and also on ac. guitar and even bass amp.
I'm a happy owner!
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

Hi Ian,

I want to apologized for the using the wrong name. When I saw Telefunken I (here's that word) "assumed" it was Tony. I'm really sorry about that. Hope you weren't offended. I won't make that mistake again.
I also noticed after I read your post again that I'm blind too. Your name was right there in plain view. I guess with observational skills like that I lose my Junior G Man badge.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

James R.
Avian Studios
(we're for the birds)
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

Hi, djanogil.

Thanks for the your input on the AK-47 It is much appreciated. As I said earlier I didn't want to repeat the 47ish sound, but from your comparison of the AK against the Le (plus purchase) and Fletchers input plus other observations posted here I'm starting to get a clearer picture of this mic. It seems that this mic is falling sonically outside the Peluso/Pearlman sound. If this is correct then I wouldn't really be repeating that sound to an extent. My interest in the AK-47 is starting to get rekindled.. I haven't for gotten the 67ish sound just side tracked some what.
Thanks again for your thoughts.

James R.
Avian Studios
(we're for the birds)
Old 7th September 2007
member no 666

FWIW, I usually recommend that folks try both, figure out which will work best for their voice and sense of aesthetic then send the other one back... they're quite different and the only way to really determine which will be best for your applications is through experience.

Peace.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi Ian,

I want to apologized for the using the wrong name. When I saw Telefunken I (here's that word) "assumed" it was Tony. I'm really sorry about that. Hope you weren't offended. I won't make that mistake again.
I also noticed after I read your post again that I'm blind too. Your name was right there in plain view. I guess with observational skills like that I lose my Junior G Man badge.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

James R.
Avian Studios
(we're for the birds)
No biggie. I'm not offended, I just figured I bust ya!

Later,
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Nut

Hi Fletcher,

At this point I'm not really looking for a mic for my voice. Of course your advise for choosing one is as sound and valid as ever.
Right now I'm looking to build a mic locker that will cover a number of vocal and instrumental needs.
Even with all that I have right now I ran across a singer a while back that I just couldn't match up with any of the mics I had at that time. It was really frustrating. As a result I lost the job. So I'm trying to be as armed and ready as I can possibly be, keeping my budget constraints in mind. I realize of course that there is always going to be a situation somewhere down the line that is unforseen and that all the best laid plans etc,etc.
Once again thank you for your advice and input. It is always very welcomed.

James R.
Avian Studios
(we're for the birds)
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Nut

Hi Ian,

I'm so glad.
I'll take that, "I'm Busted", and raise you a, "You Got Me.

James R.
Avian Studios
(we're for the birds)
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

I tried both the AK47 and M16 both sound good but the AK47 just sounded bigger to me and was just what I was looking for. The AK47 stayed and the M16 went back.......I should say the mic was mainly for male vocals and the AK47 was really nice and creamy. For female and other general use I ended up buying a Blue Kiwi fet mic.......real winner.

nIC
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
... and I probably shouldn't do this stuff when on pain killers.
I'll pm you my address. Feel free to go ahead and ship those out overnight so we can avoid any further misinformation.heh
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Nut

Hi Nic,

God I hope I got that right.
I want to thank you for your input on the AK and the M16, it is much appreciated. It really helps that you experienced both. The AK is certainly staying on top in the favorable comment department. In the future I'm also going to be looking for a really good fet mic. Thanks for the heads up on the Kiwi

Thanks again.

James R.
Avian Studios
(we're for the birds)
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hi James
No worries mate ...have fun and take your time choosing the right mic for you.

nIC
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi Ian,

I'm so glad.
I'll take that, "I'm Busted", and raise you a, "You Got Me.

James R.
Avian Studios
(we're for the birds)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search