The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help On Ak-47 Condenser Microphones
Old 15th February 2013
Gear Head
Fletcher - I love you man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Neither are either... the AK-47 is it's own mic... it's not a clone, it's not a knockoff, it's not a replica of a U-47 or any other mic... it is it's own being. Same with the M-16.

The main difference between the two is the amplifier. The AK-47 uses a very small sized tube [about the size of an AC-701/k like you'd find in an M49 or M-50 or KM-54, etc.] the M-16 uses a 6386 tube [like a U-67 but that is where the similarities end].

Because of each of these amplifier designs the microphones sound very unique and very different from each other. The AK-47, because of it's smaller and therefore faster tube has a silkier "airier" top end... the M-16 is very clear with a very solid midrange that in some ways is reminiscent of a U-67 but it really is a different beast.

They're great mics that are in nearly constant use at our joint... but they were an addition to the collection, not a replacement.

I hope this makes sense.

Peace.
FLETCHER! I have loved reading your posts for years. I'd love your two cents on my theory. Sounds like you really like the AK47. I'm looking for a pair of Dark yet Airy multi pattern tube LDC. Rode K2's are not cutting it.

I'm not a big poster, as I'm amatuer at best with recording. However, a stay at Swediens 7 day class enlightened me to M149's and Ribbons.
I'm a working guitarist primarily, and record my own stuff. When approached, I record people, to justify buying gear. Kinda leaves my pocket empty, but my ears are happy.

I couldn't afford a pair of Royer R-anything. So I purchased a pair of Cascade Fat Heads with Lundahl transformers. I am quite happy with the purchase, 6 months later. I'm hoping a pair of AK-47's may be the answer to the M49/U47 hole in my mic locker. Because, a pair of M149's is a bit much for a hack!

JRay
Old 8th April 2013
Gear Head

Cm49/cm47se

Hi JRay, you need a K47 single back-plate with a random hole pattern capsule to get an M49 vibe. The K47 has a gentle 2db rise in the 3-5khz range and very little rise if any above 10khz.

The proximity effect of the K47 is also unique to that capsule and we went to great lengths to get our Ak47 capsule to produce this result. You cannot get it with the 32mm dual back-plate 67 type capsule use in the Tele AK47. Now the AK47 is a good sounding microphone but does not have the K47 response. We use the same type of capsule in our CM47fet microphone. My guess is the AK47 microphone, not to be confused with the Advanced Audio AK47 capsule is 1/2 way between a U47 and U67 which is not a bad thing.

However, my feeling is you need a more trapezoidal head grill with a K47 type capsule to get the transparency and warmth of the M49.

The M149 used a K47 capsule but varies away from the traditional tube circuit by use an IC to yield the balanced output rather than a transformer.

This makes a big difference to the sound especially when the SPL levels are pushed. IC's produce odd harmonic distortion which is "edgy" sounding, while transformers produce even harmonic distortion which sounds musical.

With an IC balanced circuit you cannot stay class "A" like a tube circuit.

Tube guitar amps and tape machine distortion also produce more even harmonics that class A/B IC circuits.

I have include a pic of our prototype CM49 microphone sitting next to our CM67SE for reference. The CM49 has our Ak47 single back-plate capsule and a class "A" 2 stage tube circuit driving a BV8 type 6.5:1 transformer.

Cheers, Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jray4 View Post
FLETCHER! I have loved reading your posts for years. I'd love your two cents on my theory. Sounds like you really like the AK47. I'm looking for a pair of Dark yet Airy multi pattern tube LDC. Rode K2's are not cutting it.

I'm not a big poster, as I'm amatuer at best with recording. However, a stay at Swediens 7 day class enlightened me to M149's and Ribbons.
I'm a working guitarist primarily, and record my own stuff. When approached, I record people, to justify buying gear. Kinda leaves my pocket empty, but my ears are happy.

I couldn't afford a pair of Royer R-anything. So I purchased a pair of Cascade Fat Heads with Lundahl transformers. I am quite happy with the purchase, 6 months later. I'm hoping a pair of AK-47's may be the answer to the M49/U47 hole in my mic locker. Because, a pair of M149's is a bit much for a hack!

JRay
Attached Thumbnails
Help On Ak-47-cm49-67se.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search