The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EMI 24 Channel TG1 for sale Channel Strip Plugins
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

This is a place I'd like to record in
Possibly the biggest TG (32 mic channels plus 6 or so comps)
Vega Studio
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
Vega Studio
I've worked there a little bit. Nice console, and Manfred bought it for a HELL of a lot less than $250K. It's one of those classic pieces that sounds great no matter which way you crank it (like most classics).

I can't really describe WHY it sounds so great, other than to say that in mixing, the tracks needed very little EQ or compression to sound like a good rock record. Works for me.thumbsup
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Vega Studio
Me too...Actually, I will...trying to close a deal to cut an album in spring '08...
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alamo View Post
Me too...Actually, I will...trying to close a deal to cut an album in spring '08...
Might meet you there

I'm probably recording a band and my idea is to track somewhere like that (nice desk, decent mics and a lovely live room) and mix and overdub at my place.

ps: I know from chrisso here on gearslutz, that he LOVES recording drums through an EMI. He knows his stuff (played with many greats) and rates them as about the best for recording drums.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

It does look like a really nice studio.
Being just outside Aix en provence as well...

so there's 2 TG desks in France (this one and Mike Hedges Abbey Road one...)
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Might meet you there
Or even closer by...looking at your location... ... Nice studio BTW (peeked at your site)...In what direction are you 25 mins away from Brussels?

Quote:
I'm probably recording a band and my idea is to track somewhere like that (nice desk, decent mics and a lovely live room) and mix and overdub at my place.
That was my idea as well...Another reason to do so is the lack of a proper summer season...Might be the good place to gain some vitamin D...

RR
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alamo View Post
Or even closer by...looking at your location... ... Nice studio BTW (peeked at your site)...In what direction are you 25 mins away from Brussels?

That was my idea as well...Another reason to do so is the lack of a proper summer season...Might be the good place to gain some vitamin D...

RR
Just noticed your location too! Howdy
My studio is near Leuven. About 10 mins from there...
Yes, sun wouldn't be bad occasionally....
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Whattt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio1117 View Post
Lenny Kravitz Inspiration.....He hasn't put an album out in like 10 years..and that one yielded a minor hit. I guess the inspiration ain't THAT great.

Honestly, I hear what you are saying, items can be an inspiration. I just had a band tell me that recording on tape gives them that sensation..so I guess on that note...maybe. But, come on, $250k my whole studio didn't cost that much...building and all and we make some darn fine music here. I guess if you have to spend $250k to get inspiration...maybe you should find a different field of work. 'cause it sounds to me like maybe your creative side ought to be let off of the life support machine.
Lenny Kravitz bought that board some time ago. IN the age of one hit wonders, he has actually had a career. And in the last ten years, Lenny has put out 4 albums and 1 DVD, has had 5 radio hits and has 4 platinum hangy things people put on their wall with the self titled "Lenny" going 8X platinum.

Again, (pun intended) GS is full of BS and Nancy Naysayer wantabees.

Peace out Negative MF'ers,
Ric
Old 5th September 2007
Quote:
Let me make this clear to you all....... IF YOU BUY THIS BOARD....YOU WILL NOT.... BE....RINGO....PAUL....GEORGE.....(MARTIN OR HARRISON)....OR JOHN.
Or Geoff.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
Well, if there's a money man' involved, get the Duality! heh heh
Or how about getting the new Chandler console?! It's similar to the EMI and brandnew! That is, when it ships.

The only concern that I would hav about this board is the age factor but other than that, who doesn't want a Big Four console?! heh heh At least it would be inspiring and that does help pay bills.
Yeah I'm waiting for the new Chandler Universal Console. If I really love it when it's finished, then I really don't care about if I'm going to get a TG Console and be regarded as if I bought it to want to become the Big Four....

I was told that this TG Console has been perfectly recapped and serviced, because Qutuam Leap and East West used it to produce their Fabulous Four sample library.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricfoxx View Post
Lenny Kravitz bought that board some time ago. IN the age of one hit wonders, he has actually had a career. And in the last ten years, Lenny has put out 4 albums and 1 DVD, has had 5 radio hits and has 4 platinum hangy things people put on their wall with the self titled "Lenny" going 8X platinum.

Again, (pun intended) GS is full of BS and Nancy Naysayer wantabees.

Peace out Negative MF'ers,
Ric

Be real..5 albums...1 DVD.....don't kid 'yerself..1 minor radio hit...he's less than a 1 hit wonder...if you wanna compare rock star dicksizes by album sells he's a mere blip on the screen to Brittney's album sales. Don't forget ...a ton of people bought the pet rock so I don't go by the whole "he sold this many records" thing.
IMHO Lenny is like those times when bell bottoms etc come back around..you look and you say..."ah, look there...somebody's wearing mommies things wishing they lived in another time."
I don't disagree his albums sound good (audiowise) I just don't think he's really breaking any new ground or putting anything out that moves me personally...but then again..I like Seals & Croft.
Old 1st October 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by numrologst View Post
They are asking $250k for it
It's $170K - and very, very rare - you always pay a premium for rare equipment especially with this heritage (and condition). They were never made for commercial sale, only for EMI studios.

"Abbey Road" and "Dark Side Of The Moon" were both recorded and mixed through EMI TG consoles at Abbey Road.

I would put money on it that the new Chandler clones have some different components (because they are no longer available) that will change the sound, like the new Type 69 Helios modules.

If anyone wants more info on this desk, send me a PM.

- DR
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Wow, only $170k.
Wanted: Person with more money than sense!
Shouln't this be in GEARSLUTZ classifieds? I'm gonna bitch out the price until it gets there.
Hey why don't cha try E-bay? Try McCartney...maybe he'll buy it...after all it was the best sound ever huh? I'm sure Paul would love to spend $170k for one. I'd bet he hasn't stopped thinking about it since recording Abbey Road.
..and I thought old 80 series neve's were over priced.
You know why big studios go out of business.....Buying stuff like this.
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
Well, if there's a money man' involved, get the Duality! heh heh
Or how about getting the new Chandler console?! It's similar to the EMI and brandnew! That is, when it ships.
A Barefoot customer mixes on an EMI console and it's absolutely stunning. Check out the Cold War Kids new album. If you're a rich studio owner and you want the ultimate tracking console, that would be a strong contender. The new Chandler looks very impressive and I think Wade's a damn genious. But in ten years, which one will go up in value? That EMI would be like owning an Austin Martin DB5
Bond car. How much are THEY worth now???
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

I was thinking about buying this board....but....

"NO THANKS - WE'VE ALREADY GOT ONE!"

Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear
It´s´funny...

I guess one can´t say anything about it, if one hasn´t werked on it...

BUT still alotta yada-yada ovah here...

And I find that Vintage recording gear prices goes up every year...
Intresting...

Peace,
T.
Old 2nd October 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Wow, only $170k.
Wanted: Person with more money than sense!

or, for an alternative perspective...

wanted: one person with the means to enable his vision.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, that would be the Twilight Zone perspective.

Rich..studio owner? Most people don't get rich making lame brained purchases. Let's spell this out the way it should read: If you are a trust fund kid...and you believe your broke musician buddies advice about making a ton of money in the studio business..but only if you buy the right gear....buy this board.
All four Beatles and Pink Floyd could have pulled a train on this board and left DNA in between the modules and I wouldn't give $70k for this board.....30k maybe....

Hey maybe we can get the guy who's gonna buy this board to buy the VAN HALEN console too..just to cover his bases.
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

It's the same price as a Ferrari just to put it in perspective.
Money is always relative.
I remember trying to get the money together for a LP Goldtop that was local for $10k 3 years ago. Quite a few people told me how mental that was. Yep. Dealers will sell you one for $50k now.

the EMI is slightly more unique than a Ferrari or ANY Gibson LP (the $300k sunbursts were built over 2000 times)
It looks cool
It sounds great
There aren't many of them
It's got history (in a good way)
I don't see why it needs criticising.

Not your thing. That's fine
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Well, I doubt any goldtop is bringing 50k, but that aside. Guitars have actually become a tradeable stock item. I doubt any investor would consider a 30 year old electronic item that weighs probably in the neighborhood of 750-1000lbs a commodity. It's not easily tradeable, moveable or maintainable.
Folks don't get me wrong. I'm sure this console sounds good and is somewhat useable. It just isn't $170k useable.
I've heard it all now...the TG is a collectors item.

Guitars are traded daily, big old consoles aren't...hence why this one's still for sale. Also, people who pay $350k for a guitar generally aren't guitar players....I doubt seriously the head of some Japanese company is going to have the TG console hanging on his office wall.
Old 2nd October 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yeah, that would be the Twilight Zone perspective.

enjoy that bitter taste, i'll be up here in the clouds if you need me! thumbsup

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

I can't believe someone would actually sell that!!!!!!!
Selling that console would be like selling the Shroud of Turin
or The Dead Sea Scrolls!!!!!!!

I can't believe this!!!!! No respect!!!!!
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetness View Post
A Barefoot customer mixes on an EMI console and it's absolutely stunning. Check out the Cold War Kids new album. If you're a rich studio owner and you want the ultimate tracking console, that would be a strong contender. The new Chandler looks very impressive and I think Wade's a damn genious. But in ten years, which one will go up in value? That EMI would be like owning an Austin Martin DB5
Bond car. How much are THEY worth now???
Yeah the Cold War Kids record does sound amazing - the guitars and drums sound really big ! - If i had the money i would buy it & join it to my Neve console.
Old 2nd October 2007
Gear Guru

This is not a piece that you evaluate your return on investment with.

It's like a $250,000 Les Paul. Or a baseball card.

It doesn't need to sound good enuff for the money spent.

Some people just want stuff!!!!!
Old 2nd October 2007
Gear Guru

just checked out the Cold War Kids... the compression signature is unmistakeable, but the tone leaves me wanting. no meat on the bottom, too much spit on the snare. they sound like ruffs.

cool music, though, good spirit.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

I'll take that EMI board with a rack of pultecs next to it for any lacking bottom.

P.S. I am seriously interested.
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Let me make this clear to you all....... IF YOU BUY THIS BOARD....YOU WILL NOT.... BE....RINGO....PAUL....GEORGE.....(MARTIN OR HARRISON)....OR JOHN. ."
DAMN IT!!! I was just about to fork over the dough, with the expectation that this acquisition would not only make me and my clients sound just like The Beatles, but also allow me to go back in time and actually become The Beatles…all 4 of them.
Thanks for setting us straight. You really saved me, and the history of popular music, from a huge mistake. You can’t get sheit for $250K these days.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search