The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone care to comment on the old Trident 'B' Range consoles?
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Nut

Anyone care to comment on the old Trident 'B' Range consoles?

Just been doing some cursory research on the old Trident 'B' Range mixers. Anybody have any experience of them and care to share their thoughts? How do the pres and EQs sound? Does anything else fall into the same ballpark sonically?

I was reading that DeWolfe studios in the UK had one installed in the early '70s and that's what started me thinking. It looks like a very cool console.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Nut

Well, ok - how do they compare to the A Range?
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatPye View Post
Just been doing some cursory research on the old Trident 'B' Range mixers. Anybody have any experience of them and care to share their thoughts? How do the pres and EQs sound? Does anything else fall into the same ballpark sonically?

I was reading that DeWolfe studios in the UK had one installed in the early '70s and that's what started me thinking. It looks like a very cool console.

I know that swedish producer Martin Terefe has two B range consoles down at Kensaltown Stuidos, recently used to track James Morrisons album discovered (among many others).

/R
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Nut

Two of them? That's just greedy. heh

Will have to check out what Martin Terefe is up to...
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatPye View Post
Two of them? That's just greedy. heh

Will have to check out what Martin Terefe is up to...
Yeah...totally;=)

Just go to Martin Terefe and there is a few pics from the studio...
Old 21st February 2008
Lives for gear

Here's a bump for an old thread.

Can anyone else comment on use of Trident B-Range consoles, EQs, Pres etc?

Any info would be great.

Old 21st February 2008
Lives for gear

I work at a studio that has an old 80b.Sounds deep and fat.Smooth eq,dark sounding pres.This console has a modded power supply and mogami cabling.It is used mostly for keyboards and vi's.All keys go thru 48 channels of synth drivers which give 6+dbs of uncolored gain.
In my own studio i am running a toft atb 32 channel.It sounds great for the $ but it is not an 80b.There is an article in mix magazine this month where someone did a side by side comparison.Check it out.Good Luck!

P
Old 21st February 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELI-173 View Post
Can anyone else comment on use of Trident B-Range consoles, EQs, Pres etc?
You're gonna get love/hate on these bad boys. Best to try for yourself to see if you're a lover or a hater,
Old 21st February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan p View Post
I work at a studio that has an old 80b.Sounds deep and fat.Smooth eq,dark sounding pres.
The "B-Range" is different from the "80B" I believe. Different pre's and eq's. I think the B-Range has the same pres as the a-range, but different EQ.
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

Yes, 80Bs are mid-80s IC based boards. B-ranges are mid-70s discrete boards, cut down versions of the A-range. Same pres with a simpler EQ, the rest of the desk was fairly primitive and seems considered a prime candidate for being gutted for it's modules.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search