The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's the command 8 worth for HD Control Surfaces
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

What's the command 8 worth for HD

I have a decent setup around PT HD with Lynx Aurora and Spider as summing box.

However I do all mixing with a mouse and keyboard. Now, one of my clients was complaining that he would like to be able to grab the faders while mixing which is I guess a fair point.

Given the fact that I have a project studio, I don't like to spend a lot of money for stuff that does not impact my audio so I was think about the command 8. Anybody using this in another context than home studio ?

The Us 2400 had 24 faders but seems to be no longer available. Any other suggestions?
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

I use a Command 8 with my HD2 and love it. Works really well. Yea, I'd like to have 24 faders in front of me, but a C24 is not worth it to me. Buy a used one, if it doesn't do it for you, you can always sell it.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Addict

a command 8 is a great way to go. thumbsup

There's a Control 24 in the used section for a few grand. the pres are okay for keyboards but either than that i wouldn't use them on much.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

I know a couple people who hated it and thought it was a waste of money and sold them.

I own one and think it's a fantastic bargain as well as giving you lots of access to features that the other midi based controllers don't.

However, I spend most of my time on a pro control.... and in comparison, I really don't get terribly annoyed not having 32 (smoother) faders at my fingers on the command 8.

if you don't want to invest a lot and want something effective, I think it's definitely the way to go.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

for the money you really can't go wrong with it. it does what it should and period. once you get used to it you will eventually like it.
Old 4th September 2007
jho
Lives for gear

If you can swing a C24 somehow you'll be much happier IMO. If money is tight though the C8 is way better than a mouse and very similar to a 002 mixer, a little smaller.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

im in the same boat, i need a control surface and right at this point in time, i just want to grab some faders, i can always save later and grab a C8 right now, im just wondering if i would hate it, i cant afford 4 grand right now, i can put that towards finishing my plug in collection and an accel card, what yall think, sorry to high jack
Old 4th September 2007
jho
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
im in the same boat, i need a control surface and right at this point in time, i just want to grab some faders, i can always save later and grab a C8 right now, im just wondering if i would hate it, i cant afford 4 grand right now, i can put that towards finishing my plug in collection and an accel card, what yall think, sorry to high jack
I don't think you'll hate it.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yep...I have one and love it
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

I've got one in the downtown studio and absolutely HATE that thing. It looks and feels cheap. And it's running my HD3 system making it look like an 002 system or something.

I've never heard anything good about it from the clients... usual comments are' why you using this small controller?' let's go back to your other studio and record with the AWS900'

That thing... is just so cheap looking and feels like ****..

So it's in the storageroom now and a FaderPort in its stead.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Nut

I use a Command8 & a Control24, the Pre’s on the Control 24 are garbage (focusrite platinum series) and the monitoring section on ether aren’t exactly great but as controllers for pro tools they are superb, both well laid out (although a tab button would be very useful) and both are very well built for controllers.

I suppose the Control 24 is slightly more impressive for the clients, as if that really matters, if you can’t let your mixes do the impressing , you have bigger problems than which controller to use...

They are both great options, I wouldn’t use a non Digidesign controller under any circumstances, Digi don’t play well with others, and chances are it might not work a few versions down the road, also editing plugin settings can be frustrating on the non digi controllers...

I have no problems switching between the Command 8 & Control 24, they are very, very similar in many ways...

Cheers

N
Old 4th September 2007
jho
Lives for gear

No gearslut I know uses those C24 pre's anyway. It's still a bargain for what you get. The monitoring section is actually fine on the C24. Those that say it's not accurate or not good are mistaken. Definitely has more options than the C8... It's really not a proper comparison. The C8 is a grand, and the C24 is 5 grand, and a big step IMO in terms of usability and if you are running a commercial shop it definitely has more wow factor than the little C8 and more faders to grab on if there are two engineers. I had a C8 for about a week and sent it back for the C24. Couldn't deal.

Let's not argue about it though! Just make music and be content with what you can afford. If all you can swing is a grand, get the C8. It's way better than a mouse. If you can pony up 5K, then the C24. If you can scrounge out 30K then then D-command. I had the ICON D-Control for 2.5 years, up until a month ago and stepping down to the C24 is a big step but I tried the C8 and almost cried when I got it in, so I sent it back and coughed up the dough for the C24.

I agree the Digi controllers are the only way to go with PT though, whatever your budget may be.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jho View Post
Those that say it's not accurate or not good are mistaken.
Errm, that is definitely a matter of opinion, and there is extremely strong evidence to the contrary , a/b it yourself with a Goldpoint or similar... When we did it even the drummer could tell the difference... I am not saying it’s unusable, just that’s it not great, especially if you value stereo accuracy at high attenuation etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jho View Post
It's really not a proper comparison. The C8 is a grand, and the C24 is 5 grand
It’s always worth bearing in mind that a percentage of that 5 grand is for the useless Pre’s & Line Submixer... it’s not all spent on the 16 extra faders & the extra buttons...

I have had to strip & repair both models, you would be amazed at how many of the part are interchangeable & they both have a comparatively strong metal case...

I agree that the Control 24 has more useful functions. But so it should, but the Command 8 shouldn’t be dismissed out of hand ether, it’s a perfectly good controller and as it uses many of the same components, is unwise to think as one as vastly inferior in build quality to the other...

The other thing to bear in mind is you are still banking with these things, whether its 8 or 24 faders, you still have to bank to see all of your tracks...

N
Old 4th September 2007
jho
Lives for gear

Old 4th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickH View Post
When we did it even the drummer could tell the difference...

I didn't know drummers were that smart...
Old 4th September 2007
jho
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post

I didn't know drummers were that smart...
...or could hear that well... must be really bad!
Old 29th September 2007
Here for the gear

I like the C8, it is just like 24 but less functions, but it is still useful and i found it useful for mixing, u can control the plugins ( eq, compressor...ect) same with 24. for me its like using analog eq, comp but in digital way, i used it to control my SSl waves, as well as the automations, its good.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search