The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic for Mono (doubled) Acoustic Guitar Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Mic for Mono (doubled) Acoustic Guitar

I record a lot of steel string acoustic guitar for pop/rock/latin styles. It rarely occupies a lead role in my music but I still consider it very important for my mixes, adding rhythem or subtly filling out sonic space. I'd say about 45% chording, 45% picking and 10% finger picking. I prefer to record acoustic in mono, then double (sometimes with slight playing variations), then pan hard left and right. I'd say my use of acoustic guitar is similar to Richard Aschroft and I love his acoustic sound. As far as my mixes, I'd like it to sit nicely without having to add much EQ, being present but not harsh (love silky, hate harsh).

Any suggestions for mics in various price ranges? Thanks a lot!
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

I like ribbons for smoother sounding acoustic work.
I've really liked using a Royer and I've really liked some clips of the AEA R92.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Addict

Chameleon Labs TS-1, about $480. Just got one. Love it! I prefer to record in mono then double, too.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

the josephson e-22s is probably somewhere around $1100 or so -
amazing on accoustic guitars and drums and piano - a really great mic that you'll
own for the rest of your life - one of my favorites

be well

- jack
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Pearlman TM-1 is my new fave mic for acoustic guitars.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Addict

I'm a fan of the Akg 451.
Old 3rd September 2007
Here for the gear

i have been recording acguit like this for years and for me, the best sound i have found is my gefell umt70s through my great river pre. Do yorself a favor and check out this often overlooked mic! Gorgeous!
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattzen View Post
i have been recording acguit like this for years and for me, the best sound i have found is my gefell umt70s through my great river pre. Do yorself a favor and check out this often overlooked mic! Gorgeous!
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but mattzen how do you like the UMT70s on vocals, specifically male vocals?
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

I mostly use a KM 84 thru a Chandler LTD-1, ever since getting the 84 I hardly used anything else on acoustic guitar. It's present without being shrill and detailed without being clinical. If there's a compressor in the chain then it's mostly a LA-3A reissue for me.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm a fan of the Akg 451
+1 for the AKG 451. Sometimes it is so perfect I think it must have been specifically designed for acoustic guitar. There's not much else out there that can match its sonic footprint on the acoustic. They're cheap and abundant.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderM69 View Post
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but mattzen how do you like the UMT70s on vocals, specifically male vocals?
i'll chime in on the umt70s. For a while, it was my one nice mic. It sounds great on acoustic and very good on pretty much any instrument I would put it up on.

Vocals - of the Gefells, I don't think anyone would recommend this as the best for that application, but it can definitely work well depending on the source. Pros: very nice top end, not sibilant at all, and takes shelf eq well if you want to give it more air. The mids have got the goods - smooth, forward, present. Worked well paired with the Great River, which gave it a little more meat. The low end is pretty refined, not a lot of proximity effect, so not the best choice if you want a "larger than life" vocal. But in a fairly dense mix, if you want a vocal to cut through and sit well in a more complex arrangement, it can totally work.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

The silkiest sound I've ever gotten on acoustic guitar is with a KM-54. It's a hell of an investment (going for around $2K now) but it's the most realistic, 3-D image I can imagine.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudHudson View Post
The silkiest sound I've ever gotten on acoustic guitar is with a KM-54. It's a hell of an investment (going for around $2K now) but it's the most realistic, 3-D image I can imagine.

A km54 in good condition is a thing of beauty.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Guru

+1 on km84 - detailed and shimmery but substantial, good for the strings

+1 on e22s - clear and natural, good for the wood

+1 on r84 - like buttered toast, sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar, good for the soul

km54, aren't those tubes getting impossible to find?

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddamanic View Post
i'll chime in on the umt70s. For a while, it was my one nice mic. It sounds great on acoustic and very good on pretty much any instrument I would put it up on.

Vocals - of the Gefells, I don't think anyone would recommend this as the best for that application, but it can definitely work well depending on the source. Pros: very nice top end, not sibilant at all, and takes shelf eq well if you want to give it more air. The mids have got the goods - smooth, forward, present. Worked well paired with the Great River, which gave it a little more meat. The low end is pretty refined, not a lot of proximity effect, so not the best choice if you want a "larger than life" vocal. But in a fairly dense mix, if you want a vocal to cut through and sit well in a more complex arrangement, it can totally work.
I just pulled out my UMT70 into a Chandler Channel MKII for acoustic guitar and it was very impressive...
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudHudson View Post
Don't tempt me! I've been close to buying a KM 54 a few times but always had to pull out because of financial realities......

I'm pretty sure that the KM 54 would be incredible on any stringed instruments though.......

What about a KM 56? It's a different capsule but how does it compare to the KM 54 on acoustic guitar?
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Addict

AKG 451

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne mox View Post
+1 for the AKG 451. Sometimes it is so perfect I think it must have been specifically designed for acoustic guitar. There's not much else out there that can match its sonic footprint on the acoustic. They're cheap and abundant.
When you say AKG 451 are you talking about a new one....AKG 451(b) I believe is the model#. How does the new one compare with the old one. Also, how does the AKG451 compare in general with a Shure SM81 (that's the only pencil condenser I've ever used, and I wasn't wowed).
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
Pearlman TM-1 is my new fave mic for acoustic guitars.

+1- so rich and deep on acoustics guitar-brings out the soul from the tree.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrasser View Post
When you say AKG 451 are you talking about a new one....AKG 451(b) I believe is the model#. How does the new one compare with the old one. Also, how does the AKG451 compare in general with a Shure SM81 (that's the only pencil condenser I've ever used, and I wasn't wowed).

Other than the AKG logo, you wouldn't even know these share the same model number. It was an insult to the original 451/452 mics for AKg to consider the 451b a "reissue".

The vintage 451 mics are smooth with a touch of crispness on the high end. They don't work for much else except maybe cymbals but I'd reach for something else rather than a 451. For bassy guitars, ala Martins or other higher end guitars that don't sound like crap, the 451 is hard to beat.

SM81 sounds flat to me, but not hi-fi. Sorry best way to describe it.
Old 4th September 2007
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
ever since getting the 84 I hardly used anything else on acoustic guitar. It's present without being shrill and detailed without being clinical.
Same. There's just something about the top of my KMi84 that I haven't found in any other SDC that I've tried. That being said, I just chose my 414BULS over it the other day.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrasser View Post
When you say AKG 451 are you talking about a new one....AKG 451(b) I believe is the model#. How does the new one compare with the old one.
There is no comparison. Similar to KM84 vs KM184
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
There is no comparison. Similar to KM84 vs KM184
I agree. Somehow any smoothness is just gone on the new model. I hear there is a 451b mod that can remedy this however. With the km184 you are just screwed. It sucks!!!
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

The record I'm working on now, has a song where I had the artist singing and playing acoustic at the same time (the guitar was a Gibson Jumbo.....I think), and used a single, vintage M149 on the guitar and voice, coupled with a newer M149 as a distant room mic, recorded straight to a Studer 1/2" machine running GP9 @ 30ips

Without a doubt my favorite acoustic guitar sound I've ever got.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hmm....maybe I'm getting my models screwed up here.

I'm pretty sure it was a vintage version of this guy.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M149/

But, I could be wrong. Still sounded great though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search