The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve Modules - differences in sound Consoles
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Head

Neve Modules - differences in sound

Hey

As a newbie user of vintage neve modules, I would like to hear some opinions about different neve modules. Next week I´m going to record an album in this amazing studio with:

Neve 8058 (32x31102´s)
Neve Melbourne (3114/3115)
Neve BCM10 (1073/1066)

I´ve done some tracking with 1073´s earlier and they are incredible to my ears, but whats the difference in sound compared to the other ones?

best regards

August
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

I think much of the issue here is to do with the capacitors.

Different brands of capacitors all sound slightly different so its possible that once the modules have been recapped they may not sound the same as another Neve module that uses different caps.

Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kinsey View Post

Different brands of capacitors all sound slightly different so its possible that once the modules have been recapped they may not sound the same as another Neve module that uses different caps.

i'm sorry, but are you saying the biggest difference between these 5 modules is CAPACITORS?!

and also, the class ab modules from the melbourne are 33114 and 33115. they can be found in any 53xx console.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

If u can hear the difference in capacitors between all those different modules, and more to the point have the time to sit down and 'swap out and solder' all the capacitors between the modules, then i doff my hat!!!

But The main differnce is in the tone, due to the difference amps and class A or A/B nature. But its not like the A/B ones suck cheese or anything... most slutz here would sacrifice testicles for a sidecar/console of these puppies... fark i would!

But having used 1073/66/64 and 33115/1081 extensively i would say the former are awesome! and the later are awesome with a tighter bottom end...
heh

Wiggy
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Head

cool, nice with some thoughts on this, I´ll play around with these babies for the next 10 days and then I post my conclutions...
Gonna be nice though, 3 neve consoles in one room, pretty provocative with more neve channels than pro tools inputs...

August
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

What kind of music? If it's rock... do it all on the console. Those 31102's are my favorite Neve module of all time. It's the same pre (I believe - Geoff correct me if I am wrong) as the 1073, but with more points on the EQ.

I dunno... something about tracking through an 8068 (same modules) is just really hard to beat sonically for rock in my book. I track through the one at Quad here in town now and then. Just sounds amazing. I never get that sound when I am just hitting 1073's. I know it's not the rooms, cuz frankly I don't like the rooms at Quad's "B" that much... but the sound of the console makes up for it.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Addict

the 1073/1084/33102 modules
and
Neve 1081/1095/1093/33114/33115 are great.

If you're serious about purchasing you can "rent" a few different models and test them out for yourself. Ultimately it's subjective and only you know what's right for YOUR music. you can't go wrong with either module in my opinion.

I like 1081s but that's me. If you do choose a 1081 look at the 33115. it's the broadcast version and it's only $1500 vs the $4,000 1081.

1081 and 1073 are just the neve modules everyone knows. there are many variations many of which have more flexible EQs and for less money. People just have "1073" and "1081" imprinted on their fourheads.

Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
People just have "1073" and "1081" imprinted on their fourheads.
I only have them imprinted on two.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
I only have them imprinted on two.
i meant foreheads. LOL.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon View Post
i'm sorry, but are you saying the biggest difference between these 5 modules is CAPACITORS?!

and also, the class ab modules from the melbourne are 33114 and 33115. they can be found in any 53xx console.
I was talking about the differences in sound between the two of the same Neve Modules, ie: 2 x 1073's for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
If u can hear the difference in capacitors between all those different modules, and more to the point have the time to sit down and 'swap out and solder' all the capacitors between the modules, then i doff my hat!!!
Wiggy
I have never sat down and listened to Neve modules with different capacitors however i have built my own compressors and both models that i have built sound different due to the capacitors. The Nichicon's sounded better to my ear over the Panasonic's.

One thing that people allways say is that no two vintage 1073's sound alike, this is most probably due to difference replacement parts being used during servicing, capacitors are the most likely suspects IMO because they are normally the only components that will need replacing.

Old 11th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:

I just bought Prism Sound Orpheus through Sound Tools in UK 3 weeks ago and still waiting for the rest 250£ and receipt.

How pro is that?

Avoid dealing with this guy Andrew Kinsey.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search