The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Comparing mixers Audio Interfaces
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Head

Comparing mixers

The new Toft ATB is a really nice board but lacks balanced direct outs. The A & H GL2800 is also very nice and has balanced direct outs, but it has a host of features that I most likely won't use. In terms of sonic quality which one is better? I have a need for an analog desk with:

16 - 32 input channels (32 channels ideally)
Mix B
direct outs on each channel
8 Busses
All balanced Ins & Outs if at all possilble
High end sound quality
$4000 - $7000

Any recommendations would appreciated as well, however the Toft board has a nice layout and sounds really nice. Except for the unbalanced jacks on the direct outs, its got everything I was looking for in a board. But, if there's a better option I'm open the ideas.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

so you want to know the difference between a budget friendly recording console with up to 88 inputs, a super cool eq section, smart layout, etc ---

and a ****ty overpriced live guy desk that's barely suitable for pushing monitor mixes.

can you guess which is which?

and out of curiosity, what's your major concern about what's balanced and what ain't? keep your audio lines rather short and into a patchbay and keep your power lines the **** away from them and you'll be alright.

the toft will eat, ****, smoke, and ruin everything new in it's price range. let's see your mackie 8 buss get pushed with 4-8db boost of channel EQ and not fold in half. let's see how well your 32 channel ghost stacks as far as tracking with the mic pres. it's also got the obvious advantages over similarly priced used and/or out-of-production consoles, like a warranty, service, readily available parts, and the fact that it's BRAND SPANKIN NEW.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Head

My only concern was in the future I might need to run longer cables. But, I need direct outs, but the overall quality of the board pretty much negates the unbalanced direct outs.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-phonic View Post
but the overall quality of the board pretty much negates the unbalanced direct outs.

You bet !...
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

The Trident Audio 8T has balanced direct outputs on every channel. (Comes in 32 aswell)
Sound Tools Ltd - Trident Audio 8T (16 Channel)
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon View Post
the toft will eat, ****, smoke, and ruin everything new in it's price range.

you've used it? do these new little desks actually sound good?

well there's a measure of my snobbery: the thought never really occurred to me before.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
you've used it? do these new little desks actually sound good?

well there's a measure of my snobbery: the thought never really occurred to me before.

gregoire
del
ubk
i scraped my claws over 24 channels for about 3 weeks, yes. it also acted as the mic pres to about $40,000 worth of microphones and stood up just fine. i felt no need to take 3 steps to my left and switch in another mic pre.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
...it also acted as the mic pres to about $40,000 worth of microphones and stood up just fine.
This is a good thing. Unless you were doing an install for the biggest call-centre ever in New Dehli...

Last edited by reid; 2nd September 2007 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: speling
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kinsey View Post
The Trident Audio 8T has balanced direct outputs on every channel. (Comes in 32 aswell)
Thanks, but I think I'm going to go with the ATB.....I haven't heard the Trident board, but I saw the price....10,200 gets me 32 channels vs 6500 32 channel on the atb.........the sound quality comparison for that much of a price difference must be tremdenous.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-phonic View Post
Thanks, but I think I'm going to go with the ATB.....I haven't heard the Trident board, but I saw the price....10,200 gets me 32 channels vs 6500 32 channel on the atb.........the sound quality comparison for that much of a price difference must be tremdenous.
Bear in mind that the UK prices include VAT which is an additional 17.5%.

If your outside of Europe you will not have to pay this, the last time i checked the prices of the ATB and the 8T were very similar.

Old 4th September 2007
Gear Head

I found a link that compared the ATB & 8T? Personally, the Trident 8T seems to have better specs. But, what ultimately concerns me is field performance, how is it in the real world in comparison? I've searched this site long for the answer and I couldn't find anything about a direct comparison of the two boards. Prices are similar, but the Trident seems to be almost $1000 more on each version(16,24,32)compared to the toft ATB.

After reading the comparison chart, I'm leaning towards the Trident 8T. I would really appreciate anyone who has used the trident series board to give me a sysnopsis on its quality of sound and what problems u may have experienced. Everything I read about the toft board seems to be minor, although the crosstalk issue that I read about seemed to be more than a annoyance.

Also if anyone has used both boards a comparison in sound quality would be appreciated. The style of music I'm interested in producing is Drum n Bass not that this really matters much.

Mixer Comparison
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

i won't be the first or last guy to tell you this:

if you're buying based off of spec sheets alone you're in for a heap of trouble.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

The best selling release in the history of D&B (So im led to believe) is Pacman by Edd Rush & Optical and that was mixed on a Mackie 8 Bus.

Compared to the Trident 8T which i had here on loan for about a week the Mackie has a more gritty distortion when gain is cranked up. The 8T is cleaner sounding but has a better EQ IMO.

For mixing Drum & Bass music the distortion from the desk can be a very important factor. Those times when you want to add a little something to the Bass or the drums!

Old 4th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:

if you're buying based off of spec sheets alone you're in for a heap of trouble.

You don't need to tell me......technology is all about how well it performs and in music, for me anyway, its about how good does it sound. Like I said the spec sheet leads me to the Trident, but the sheet doesn't tell me how good it sounds in comparison to the toft board. If the toft sounded better than I'm going with the Toft. But, if they sound the same, then the Trident is just a better buy imo, because of the other specs that it has over the toft.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
The best selling release in the history of D&B (So im led to believe) is Pacman by Edd Rush & Optical and that was mixed on a Mackie 8 Bus.

Compared to the Trident 8T which i had here on loan for about a week the Mackie has a more gritty distortion when gain is cranked up. The 8T is cleaner sounding but has a better EQ IMO.

For mixing Drum & Bass music the distortion from the desk can be a very important factor. Those times when you want to add a little something to the Bass or the drums!

The mackie 8 bus was the original board I was going after, but I wanted an overall higher quality of sound and allow the effects to do the rest. But, when I started looking into producing dnb, the field was split down the middle. Some producers said its all about your ability to make your equipment work for you, while others believed that true quality sounding dnb comes from mixing down on some type of analog desk. You know the digital vs analog wars....since a lot of dnb these days in down on computers. Personally, I just want the quality sound. The rest I'll leave to a plug or 2....sonalksis!
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:

not even a spec sheet.. this is a "spec comparison" posted on one of the manufacturer's website.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by subatomicpieces View Post
not even a spec sheet.. this is a "spec comparison" posted on one of the manufacturer's website.

Still, I want to know how they sound.....does one sound better than th other or are they equal?
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Q, not to sound like a broken record. I got in on the Toft in January. Love it.

Eq is worth it alone. I have said it before, say it again.... The next step up in sound quality/features (we are talking new, not used consoles people) would have to be a Neotek.. which is somewhere in the 15k and up mark depending on channels/features.

I have not heard the Trident, anyone willing to comment on it, please step in.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

---------------- Listening to: Myron Butler & Levi - Latter Rain via FoxyTunes

What about TL Audio Consoles or even Tonelux?
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

My Toft ATB sounds fine; lovely EQ, nice pres although a little on the slow side compared to my UA2108, Neve 1073 outboard pres... Enough gain even for ribbon mics!

Summing is nice and smooth for rock n roll, metal etc

There's another thread here about changing some of the ICs, but...

Overall a very nice board!

Try one and you won't be disappointed
Old 6th September 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAverageJoe View Post
---------------- Listening to: Myron Butler & Levi - Latter Rain via FoxyTunes

What about TL Audio Consoles or even Tonelux?
I'm not seeing what Myron has to do with those consoles. (video not found.)
Old 21st October 2007
Lives for gear
too much BS and controversy over these two boards..I was going to buy one, now I won't...instead I bought a 20 channel Phonic....might NOT be as good, but it was inexpensive and I LOVE IT!!! I THINK IT IS A MUCH underated MIXER W/MANY PRO FEATURES.....FWIW, if I decide to upgrade the Phonic, I'll save my
pennies and buy a real Neve.....
Old 11th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
I just bought Prism Sound Orpheus through Sound Tools in UK 3 weeks ago and still waiting for the rest 250£ and receipt.

How pro is that?

Avoid dealing with this guy Andrew Kinsey.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search