The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lynx Aurora or Apogee Rosetta 800? Which sounds the better? Monitor Controllers
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Addict

Lynx Aurora or Apogee Rosetta 800? Which sounds the better?

Which sounds better for recording and playback through a console?
(both running at 88.2 kHz)

Without an extra digital clock like the Big Ben!

1. Apogee Rosetta 800

2. Lynx Aurora

Thanks
Old 2nd September 2007
without the benefit of an external clock

ROSETTA 800
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Rosetta = Color
Aurora = Transparent

Aurora for me is the best choice in this case..
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Addict

be slutty and get both!heh
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Nut

interesting...i usually recommend getting them both, however i guess i can make an exception for this situation.

actually, i'm also interested in people's opinion about this question. from what i've read, they are both worthy converters. but when you are faced with actually buying one, you always want to get the best. or at least you want to get what fits your needs the best.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Get neither. Both are consumer crap... If you go apogee route, get the x series those are pretty good.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Man screw all of those! Including the x series. Those suck! Record straight to solid gold. Huge, large chunks of solid gold. Now thats tone.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHENDONLY View Post
Get neither. Both are consumer crap... If you go apogee route, get the x series those are pretty good.
and here's a guy that needs to get off his high horse. calling either one of those units "crap" would lead me to believe you've either never had any hands on experience with them, or you accidentally left a ****ty pair of earplugs in while evaluating them.

at this level of digital kaka, there is no better. only different. i prefer the aurora converters to most everything else (RADAR excluded) every day of the week. and you can get 16 in and out simultaneously with several available LSLOT option cards in one rack space and call it a day.

in the end, the first downbeat of the song will be a much bigger factor in your recording than your digital converter.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

I've owned the Rosetta 800 and currently own an Aurora16. Personally, I prefer the Aurora16. As far as number of inputs & outputs that thing can do, you've got much more flexibility. I definitely noticed the "tape-y" sound of the Rosetta, but I'd prefer to have my converter as transparent as possible (Aurora16) and color my sound other ways. YMMV

--> freddie
Old 2nd September 2007
Quote:

Neither, Apogee Rosetta 800 or Lynx Aurora is considered "consumer crap" as you put it,

I do agree that the AD/DA 16X are a step above, but in no way shape or form, are the above units "crap",

I think the statements you made, qualify for "consumer crap"

I would recommend that you get whatever will fit your needs and wants.

The Lynx Aurora is a a good bet if you don't want you converter to "have a sound"

The Apogee Rosetta is also a great choice because of the Sound Quality and the enormous amount of features that it offers,

either way you will be getting a Professional Digital Audio Multi-channel Converter,

peace
mixwell
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Get neither. Both are consumer crap..

Bull****
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
X Series and Rosetta share the same converters, but have a different clock

There's a lot of pseudo-marketing rhetoric out there that has somehow made it into the realm of legend, which here, is often taken for fact because it's been repeated enough.

Buy the one you like the best and that's best for your work flow.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Addict

there was a shootout between these two mabey a year ago and some people got pretty aggressive about which was which and how much better apogee is ect. In the end many of the die hard apogee lovers picked the lynx as the best sounding before the clips where identified. They may have been using a big ben - can't remember but what I took away from that (I have a lynx aurora 16 by the way) is that if the "golden ears" are picking the wrong one I don't need to worry about it.

Thats not to say that you should make your decision lightly but once you do make it, it won't ever matter again.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

I've owned both and to me, the Aurora's are a much better deal. I just sold my Aurora 8 and have a 16 coming Wednesday.
Old 2nd September 2007
We recently tested the aurora and the rosetta at a friends studio cause we were bored. The Rosetta has color (a low mid bump) and the Aurora was more neutral. They were both clocked with a big ben. They both had detail but I thought the Aurora had a little more detail in the top end and it sounded a bit tighter. I really liked both a lot. I decided to get a Aurora 16 in a few weeks. I am going to clock it with my isochrone and see if I hear a difference.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

There recently was a shootout between RME & Rosetta 800 ad many prefered the RME. I prefered the RME on the snare & Rosetta on the guitar. It depends on the instruments you record & on your personal preferences of the sound what you´d like best.
Old 2nd September 2007
Mercenary went did a test on the lynx and apogee.

Here is what it says

"May 2005 Aurora Listening Tests
We took 8 tracks from a session and set them up as 3 groups on the RADAR [I know the Aurora can do 16 I/O... for this text it was doing 8]. We then printed 24 tracks of 1 kHz tone onto the RADAR and calibrated 24 returns with no panning to -5 on the VU meters for all channels. All three master two busses were also calibrated to the exact same level... all levels were checked three times to make sure no one had even .1db of an advantage in terms of level. A Crane Song Avocet was used as our source switcher with the three converter sets running to the three analog inputs on the Avocet.

On first listen, the Apogee Rosetta 800 had a clearer, larger bottom... almost like it went down an extra octave or 1/2 octave from the Lynx. The Lynx was sweeter and better defined in the upper midrange and on the very top.

Next, for ****s and grins we panned the overheads left and right on all three sets, muted the other channels and gave it a listen [remember, both the Lynx and the Apogee are doing the A/D-D/A process from an already recorded digital source so they're both equally handicapped]. The Lynx had a slightly better, slightly more open stereo image, however it was overall pretty close, and again, the Apogee had a better bottom in our opinion.

The other test we did get to this week was to hook them both up to an Apogee Big Ben and give them a go. All I can say is "H-O-L-Y S-H-I-T !!!!!" Both boxes came pretty damn close to giving the RADAR [still on internal clock] a serious run for the money.

The bottom on the Apogee became clearer and tightened up (just like you read about in Apogee's marketing) and the Aurora's bottom became more focused with better detail. The high end imaging of the Rosetta took a quantum leap forward and the Aurora's stereo imaging spread out an extra few inches.

We were remarkably impressed with the differences... they're both really good units, but with the Big Ben, they're really amazing. -- Fletcher"
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

I had a rosetta 800 clocked to a big ben which really beefed it up. but when I made the change to the apogee adX/daX series it was a huge jump to my ears..its far from subtle..it was like i finally have the real deal..
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Can't help you with Aurora vs. Rosetta 800, but in my multiple gears side by side tests Apogee AD-DA 16X and Lavry Blue were both clearly preferred choice over Lynx (not to say that Lynx is lesser quality converter).
Blue is nearer to neutral character of Lynx, but Lynx missed some subtle details and classy sound of Blue. Although Apogee has its own subtly less than neutral character, I would hardly pick Aurora over 16X series.
It might be that Lavry Blue is ticket (althouh more $$) for you, if you prefer neutral conversion.
Anyway, Aurora is excellent package considering price and if pocket dictates so, don't hesitate and buy it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search