The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Using the channel or buss inserts on a console = bypassing the preamps ??
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Addict

Using the channel or buss inserts on a console = bypassing the preamps ??

Suppose you like to bypass the mixer preamps... can you just use the inserts to feed the channels and still use the EQ's on a console ?
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Yes, if they return before the eq section or have a pre/post select switch.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Guru

don't you have line inputs?

if you use the insert point you'll be bypassing the line amps. maybe that's what you want, if the console isn't so hot from a sonic perspective; but if it's a decent desk, you may want to use the line inputs rather than the inserts to add a little mojo to each channel.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 11th November 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
don't you have line inputs?

if you use the insert point you'll be bypassing the line amps. maybe that's what you want, if the console isn't so hot from a sonic perspective; but if it's a decent desk, you may want to use the line inputs rather than the inserts to add a little mojo to each channel.

gregoire
del
ubk

How much difference is there in sound quality by doing this (going in via the inserts)? I have a Soundcraft Spirit desk and eliminating a couple of NJM TL072s might make the board a little cleaner. The insert is pre EQ, and the EQ is very nice!

But mostly, i'll have lots of midi-sequenced synths connected, and many of them have really low outputs. Is going in via the inserts only possible if you have +4 levels to work with (outputs of your soundcard etc.)?

I know the signal will be unbalanced but that is no problem - only unbalanced synths here anyway. The obvious way is to try of course :-) but i hope to save some money if the difference in sound quality is negligeble.

Any thoughts?
Old 11th November 2008
Lives for gear

Take a look at your mixer's signal flow as different desks do it differently. Chances are that a Pre EQ Insert is going to be after the Input Trim so you will have to watch levels (signal level will be controlled by the device connected to that Pre EQ Insert) and posibly how you connect it up (balanced/unbalanced) as the desk is expecting line level signal at that insert point. Just give it a try recording with different signal paths to hear how the sound changes. Some desks you want want the shortest signal path out like right after the mic pre (Pre EQ Send or Direct Out with EQ bypassed), other times you want the longest path thru the desk for it's sound (like a Submix Out/Buss Out). Part of really having fun with your gear is trying out all the variations/settings to really know what it will do, so have a great time kicking the tires of that desk!
Old 11th November 2008
Here for the gear

Thanks!

I just found cheap insert cables from a internet dealer. As you say, the best is perhaps to just give it a try. From the schematics it seems that i'll be skipping two gain stages, and that must makes some difference.

I'll also take my main recording outs from the main mix bus insert - who needs a master fader ;-) By doing that i also a lot of junk in the signal path. You see, i want a mixer that is super clean and transparent and all the cheap small mixers i have tested color the signal, so i'll give this a chance, otherwise i'll go totally ITB.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search