The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee PSX100 issue-urgent! Digital Converters
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Head

Apogee PSX100 issue-urgent!

Hi fellow GS

I am having a peculiar problem with my Apogee PSX100-SE.

This is my normal setup with the PSX:-

The digital AES output of ProTools (marked as Output 7-8 on 192 i/o) goes to the AES1 input of the PSX.

The Analog outs of PSX go to my Manley Variable Mu for compression and then the signal returns analog to PSX via Analog In.

In PSX it gets converted back to digital and goes back into ProTools through AES1 out( on the same 7-8 inputs now of the 192 i/o)

I use the 7-8 as insert on the master bus in ProTools

The D/A input light is on AES1 and the A/D Sync is on crystal.

Well this was working fine till yesterday when suddenly I see the signal coming into the PSX and into my Manley but I do not see it getting converted to digital to come back into ProTools.
I see the signal on PSX meters in D/A mode but no signal is seen on A/D mode.

I have checked the outputs of the Manley. They are sending the signal out ok.

The digital in/outs of 192 i/o are also fine. Checked with another digital device.

Any suggestions? As usual i am in the middle of a mix that needs to go out soon !!!!

Thanks guys.

Cheers
KJ
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Nut

try powering off the Apogee for a few minutes then turning it back on...there is some bug on the SE edition that shuts off the AD section of the converter from time to time.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Maniac

I have basically the same setup and also had problems with same issue(A-D isn't working, D-A is working). I couldn't resolve the problem until I started to power up PSX before any other digital device in the chain. After that was done, I had no problems at all. I also noticed that changing sample rate in the middle of session also freezes PSX's A-D. Why, I really don't know. I simply power up it firstly when powering up the whole system. If somebody knows why this happens, I would also like to know.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

I had a psx 100 se die also, the ad was fine but the da would only output white noise.

I dunno if it was ever fixed or not as I took it back and paid the difference on a rosetta 200.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

When you power the unit on, press and hold the "output res" button. This resets the unit. Hope that helps...

-SD
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

I've run into this several times. Sonicdefaults suggestion should fix it. If it doesn't and the unit is extremely hot, power it down for at leat ten minutes or until it's cooled down a bit. Best of luck.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Head

Still no A/D ?/:-(

Hi guys

Thanks so much for replying asap. Well, I had tried this stuff before. And after your suggestions, tried them again. But alas. Still no A/D happening.

I noticed that the first time a signal is passed through it there is digital noise for a while and then it dies out, like a lingering white noise, slowly fading.

I guess it needs a loving repair hand then. Don't know if we have that kind of service in these parts. Will have to do a reality check on presence of audio companies vis-a-vis selling a product and having a service centre.

Thanks again and cheers
KJ
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cue View Post
I've run into this several times. Sonicdefaults suggestion should fix it. If it doesn't and the unit is extremely hot, power it down for at leat ten minutes or until it's cooled down a bit. Best of luck.
Yeah actually from memory it only happened to me after it gets hot also.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search